||'Pregnant Butch' author presents talk
by Vern Hester
This article shared 8486 times since Wed May 7, 2014
In the final Artists' Salon show of the year presented at the University of Chicago, author and cartoonist A.K. Summers presented a talk on her recently published graphic memoir Pregnant ButchNine Long Months Spent in Drag: A Graphic Memoir. Last month, Soft Skull Press released the book, which has received wide acclaim from varied sources, including Vanity Fair and the Comics Journal.
Summers' talk navigated the tricky course of a woman who identifies as "butch" while carrying her first child to term. Her book hilariously deals with gender identity, sexual stereotypes, traditional family myths, body image and self-acceptance while skewering gender expectations and experiences.
Summers also spoke at length on her inspirations for the illustrations ( Herge's Tintin was an early model, along with fellow comics artists Lynda Barry and Alison Bechdel ) and how the art form allowed her to express emotions, ideas and the confusion of dealing with a pregnancy, identifying as butch, and sorting through reactions from family, friends, and strangers internally. Summers said, "I think comics are ideal for autobiography. ... I just love the art form."
The show, composed of panels from the book will run until May 12 at 5733 S. University Ave. in the Community Room. For hours for the showing, call 773-702-9936.
The Artists' Salon of the Center of Gender and Sexuality presented the reception in collaboration with the Gray Center for Arts and Inquiry and the Center for the Study of Race, Politics, and Culture at the University of Chicago.
This article shared 8486 times since Wed May 7, 2014
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|BOOKS Lesbian author Amanda Kabak to release hate-crime novel July 20 2021-05-15|
- Lesbian author Amanda Kabaka Chicago native who now resides in Lakeland, Floridais releasing the novel Upended on July 20. In Upended, Maddie, a driven entrepreneur, finds her world thrown into disarray when she survives a hate ...
|'An Evening with Fran Lebowitz' in April 2022 in NYC 2021-05-12|
- Legendary author, journalist and social observer Fran Lebowitz is slated to return to The Town Hall stage in New York City for two live, in conversation events on April 6-7, 2022. Lebowitz is coming off her ...
|Stephanie Battaglino, New York Life's first transgender officer, releases memoir 2021-05-11|
--From a press release - May 11, 2021… Educator and motivational speaker Stephanie Battaglino today officially released her memoir, Reflections from Both Sides of the Glass Ceiling: Finding My True Self in Corporate America, from L'Oste Vineyard Press. After many years ...
|Gerber/Hart holding large book sale/exhibit viewing June 6 2021-05-10|
- Gerber/Hart Library and Archives, 6500 N. Clark St., is holding a one-day book sale is returning on Sunday, June 6, 12-4 p.m., in the library reading room. Extra tables will be set up to significantly increase ...
|NATIONAL Military bill, LGBTQ teen, trans deaths, Pride items, children's book 2021-05-09|
- New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy signed a bill that directs the Department of Military and Veterans' Affairs in the Garden State to assist former Armed Forces service members who were denied an honorable discharge due to ...
|Jonathan Ned Katz talks new book, LGBTQ history, state of the world 2021-05-05|
- Author, historian and activist Jonathan Ned Katz will come out with a new book, The Daring Life and Dangerous Times of Eve Adams, on May 18. The biography is centered on the life of Adams, a Jewish lesbian immigrant, and also ...
Lambda Literary Awards to take place June 1 2021-05-03|
- The 33rd Annual Lambda Literary Awardswhich celebrates LGBTQ+ books and authorswill take place Tuesday, June 1, 6-8 p.m. Typically held in person in New York City, this year's Lammys will be presented virtually for the first ...
|1971: The Chicago Daughters of Bilitis 2021-05-03|
Excerpt from Chicago After Stonewall: Gay Lib to Gay Life - An excerpt from Chicago After Stonewall: Gay Lib to Gay Life, a new book by St Sukie de la Croix. You can buy the book from Amazon.com, all good bookstores, and for a signed copy, rattlinggoodyarns.com ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Master of None,' children's book, Kristen Stewart, expectant couple 2021-05-02|
- Master of None is coming backbut this time, the series will focus on Lena Waithe's character, Denise, out.com noted. Master of None, created by Aziz Ansari and Alan Yang for Netflix, starred Ansari for the first ...
|1970: The Police Murder of James Clay 2021-04-26|
Excerpt from Chicago After Stonewall: Gay Lib to Gay Life - " … One month after Finnie's Ball, a Chicago Defender headline read, 'Female Impersonator killed by cop in W. Side street brawl.' The Chicago Sun-Times headline read, 'Man slain fleeing police in bizarre W. Side clash.' ...
|'Documenting LGBTQ+ Histories' virtual talk on May 16 2021-04-22|
- On Sunday, May 16, at 11 a.m. CT, Women and Children First will host the virtual panel discussion "Documenting LGBTQ+ Histories" on its Crowdcast Channel. Centering on the release of Diana Souhami's new book No Modernism ...
|Joan E. Biren aka JEB talks Portraits of Lesbians book journey and re-issue 2021-04-21|
- In an era where lesbian visibility was almost non-existent, activist and photographer Joan E. Biren (or as she is also known, "JEB") self-financed and self-published a photography book called Eye To Eye: Portraits of Lesbians. Biren's ...
|Bechdel, Rannells among upcoming CHF guests
- The Chicago Humanities Festival (CHF) announced its line-up of virtual programs with award-winning writers, scholars and cultural icons in late April and throughout May. Among LGBTQ participants/guests will be Fun ...
|BOOKS Chicago After Stonewall available May 11
- Chicago After Stonewall: Gay Lib to Gay Life—a detailed account of how LGBTQ's in Carl Sandburg's "City of the Big Shoulders" responded to the Stonewall Riots—will be available May 11. This book pulls together jigsaw pieces ...
|SHOWBIZ Brandi Carlile, 'Legendary,' children's book, film festival, Janet Mock 2021-04-18|
- Lesbian musician Brandi Carlile memoir, Broken Horses, debuted at number one on The New York Times Best Sellers list, a press release announced. In addition to the hardback book, a very special audiobook edition of the ...