WINDY CITY TIMES
||Pope: Church open to LGBTQ+ people...but there are rules
This article shared 2519 times since Mon Oct 2, 2023
On Aug. 6, Pope Francis said that the Catholic Church is open to everyoneincluding the LGBTQ+ communityand that it has a duty to accompany them on a personal path of spirituality but within the framework of its rules, Reuters reported.
One reporter reminded him that during the trip from the World Youth Day Catholic festival in Portugal, the pontiff said the Church was open to "everyone, everyone, everyone" and asked if it was not incoherent that some, such as women and gay people, did not have the same rights and could not receive some sacraments.
"The Church is open to everyone but there are laws that regulate life inside the church," the pope responded, adding that ministers have to accompany all peopleincluding those not conforming to the ruleswith the patience and love of a mother.
The Church does not allow same-sex marriage or even blessings for same-sex couples. However, the pope supports civil legislation that gives same-sex couples rights in areas such as pensions, health insurance and inheritance.
This article shared 2519 times since Mon Oct 2, 2023
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Pope Francis's community of transwomen 2023-11-28|
- It's a rare opportunity to meet the pope. It's even rarer if you're a transgender Catholic. However, on Nov. 19, in Torvaianica, Italy, a community of transwomen, many of them sex workers, were welcomed and seated ...
|Ghana cardinal: It's time to understand homosexuality 2023-11-27|
- Ghana Cardinal Peter Kodwo Appiah Turkson told the BBC that being gay should not be considered illegal and that people should be helped to understand the issue of homosexuality better. Turkson's comments come as his country's ...
|Pope: Trans people can be baptized and act as godparents 2023-11-09|
- Pope Francis has stated that trans people may be baptized and act as godparents or witnesses to marriage under the same conditions as any other adult—as long as a scandal does not result, according to PinkNews. ...
|NATIONAL Montana court, gay bishop, EEOC, Equality Forum, banned operas 2023-10-05|
- A Montana court blocked enforcement of the state's ban on gender-affirming care for transgender youthleading trans state Rep. Zooey Zephyr to express her gratitude, The Advocate reported. Missoula County District Court Judge Jason Marks issued a ...
|COMMENTARY Pope Francis permits blessings of same-gender couples on a case-by-case basis 2023-10-04|
- Pope Francis affirms the spiritual value of blessings of same gender couples in Church sanctioned ceremonies on a case-by-case basis when judged pastorally appropriate. In a letter, released by the Vatican on Oct. 2, Francis states ...
|GLAAD responds to Pope Francis' statement allowing blessing for same-sex couples 2023-10-02|
--From a press release - (Monday, October 2, 2023) GLAAD, the world's largest l LGBTQ media advocacy organization, is responding to Pope Francis' groundbreaking statement allowing blessings on same-sex unions. According to New Ways Ministry ...
|THEATER Mosaic Players revives 5 Lesbians Eating a Quiche 2023-09-24|
- Are suburban Illinois and Wisconsin towns ready to welcome 5 Lesbians Eating a Quiche into their churches, synagogues and community colleges? The artists of a Lake County theater company certainly think so. "I was very pleasantly ...
|Chicago-based Pillar of Love Fellowship UCC set to celebrate 20 years 2023-09-20|
- Pillar of Love Fellowship United Church of Christ (UCC), founded by Bishop Phyllis V. Pennese in 2003, will be celebrating 20 years on Oct. 1 from 2-5 p.m. at the Oak Lawn Hilton Hotel, 9333 South ...
|The Rev. Paul Rausenbush talks LGBTQ+ rights, 'Christian nationalism' and more 2023-08-10|
- The Parliament of the World Religionsa dialogue between key members of various faithswill take place Aug. 14-18 at McCormick Place in Chicago. Keynote speakers and panelists will include Chicago Mayor ...
|Pope: Church open to LGBTQ+ people...but there are rules 2023-08-07|
- On Aug. 6, Pope Francis said that the Catholic Church is open to everyone—including the LGBTQ+ community—and that it has a duty to accompany them on a personal path of spirituality but within the framework of ...
|Huge schism in United Methodist churches emerges over LGBTQ+ issues 2023-07-07|
- Approximately one-fifth of United Methodist congregations in the country have received permission to leave the denomination over disagreements regarding same-sex marriage as well as gay and lesbian preachers, USA Today ...
|Gay youth pastor from Lake Street Church removed from Baptist World Alliance Commissions 2023-06-22|
- A youth pastor at Evanston's Lake Street Church, T.J. Williams, was removed from two global commissions run by the Baptist World Alliance because he's gay, he said. Since 2020, Williams served on the Baptist World Alliance's ...
|Cupich leads LGBTQ+ Mass in Lake View 2023-06-21|
- On June 18, Cardinal Blase Cupich led an LGBTQ+ Catholic Mass at Lake View's Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church, according to Block Club Chicago. The Archdiocesan Gay and ...
|Anti-LGBTQ+ televangelist Pat Robertson dies at 93 2023-06-08|
- The Rev. Marion Gordon "Pat" Robertsonan influential and controversial voice of conservative Christianity who even ran for president in 1988has died at age 93. The Christian Broadcasting Network (CBN) initially ...
|New doc 'Mama Bears' follows Christian mothers who fiercely advocate for their LGBTQ+ children 2023-06-02|
--From a press release. Video below - (San Francisco, CA) March 17, 2023 Spread across the country and connected through private Facebook support groups, a network of women call themselves "mama bears," because of the ferocity with which they fight for the ...