WINDY CITY TIMES
by Terri Klinsky
This article shared 4142 times since Wed Jun 13, 2007
Costume winner. Cutest small dog._________Last weekend was the annual Andersonville MidSommarfest. They have what they call a Pet Parade on Saturday morning each year. It is really not a parade but they have contests, including a Best Costume contest. Our dogs, Topo and Bowie, are two-time winners. Last year, they won for their rendition of Bonnie and Clyde and the year before for their Sonny and Cher. Topo also won second place the previous year when we foolishly bought her a hot dog suit; we obviously didn't know anything about dressing a dog, yet. She also won as Prettiest Dog in Andersonville that year and I don't think that has changed! Sadly, they did not compete this year. Time got away from us and, more importantly, our designer was in the middle of moving to Phoenix. I woke up on Saturday sad that there were not two adorable outfits waiting for them on the sun porch, but we put our sniffles aside and went down the street to watch the festivities anyway. The past two years there was also another set of dachshunds competing and I knew they would be pleased that Topo and Bowie were on hiatus this year. The costume contest was small this year but, sure enough, our archrivals took first place. Congratulations to them, but beware: Topo and Bowie are certainly not retired and will return next year to hopefully regain their titles.
There was also competition for the prettiest large and small dogs, cats and even fish. The one cat and the one fish competing took home the blue ribbons. Although the crowd watching was fairly large, the contest itself seemed a bit smaller this year, possibly because the stage moved down a block.
The street fair has really grown in the past few years. Later in the day we went back ( without the dogs ) to hear some bands and I noticed all the dogs in attendance. It was far too crowded, hot and loud at that point for dogs to be there. Most looked miserable, many were shaking or had their tails tucked. Please leave your dogs at home at that point. It was painful to see some of them so obviously suffering and I am lucky no one slugged me when I suggested they take their dogs home.
Featured Pet for Adoption at the link:
This article shared 4142 times since Wed Jun 13, 2007
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|NATIONAL Lily Tomlin, St. Louis, activist slashed, LGBTQ political candidates 2019-12-30|
- Iconic LGBTQ comedian Lily Tomlin joined with several other comedy legends for a PSA in support of aging pets, The Washington Blade noted. In the video that The Grey Muzzle Organization produced, Tomlin is featured alongside ...
|Tree House has new eco-friendly Roger's Park building and a new look 2019-10-01|
- Tree House has a new, modern logo and refreshed brand to match their new shelter facility and cutting-edge cat care model. For the third time in its 48-year history, Tree House is introducing a new logo ...
|Gay entrepreneur hopes to reach others through digital marketing 2019-06-26|
- After years navigating the corporate world as a marketing professional for corporations like AT&T and Petsmart, Chris Hofstetter was ready for reinvention. Looking to start "act two" of his career, Hofstetter moved to Chicago with his ...
|TPAN launches Paws N' Effect program for HIV+ clients 2019-04-06|
- TPAN, Lurie Children's Adolescent and Young Adult Medicine Division Head and TPAN Board of Directors member Dr. Rob Garofalo and Felines & Canines adoption center held a kick-off event for a new program, Paws N' Effect ...
|Happy Pet Holidays from Windy City Times 2017-12-20|
- Windy City Times' annual pet photo feature. ...
|STAYCATION REVIEW The highs of Loews Chicago Hotel 2017-05-10|
Special to the online edition of Windy City Times - You'd expect a hotel that offers gourmet room-service menu items for pets to be pretty unique and luxurious. On both counts, Streeterville's Loews Chicago Hotel (455 N. Park St.; https://www.loewshotels.com/chicago-downtown) ...
|MOMBIAN More fun with the Fletchers in new book sequel 2017-05-03|
- They're back! The four boys, two dads and assorted pets who romped through Dana Alison Levy's award-winning middle-grade novel The Misadventures of the Family Fletcher return in The Family Fletcher Takes Rock Island. This time, the ...
|Happy Holidays from your pets and Windy City Times 2016-12-20|
- Enjoy Windy City Times' annual photo gallery of pets in holiday finery. ...
|Tree House Humane Society gets new home, executive director 2016-08-31|
- What would inspire a former police officer and a veteran of more than 20 years with animal welfare organizations from across the United States, Canada, Mexico and Australia to leave a year's worth of well-deserved retirement ...
|Gay couple among those displaced by fire
- A Rogers Park couple are trying to rebuild their lives, and find their lost pets, in the wake of an extra-alarm fire that left them homeless. Nicholas Hayes and Andrew Breen lived in the building on ...
|HAPPY HOLIDAYS FROM WE HEART PETS! 2015-12-23|
- A special thanks to everyone who submitted pet photos for this year's installment. May you enjoy the warmth and companionship of your pets this holiday season. ...
PAWS Chicago honors
the late Paul Lutter 2015-03-03|
Special to the online edition of Windy City Times - The late gay attorney and activist Paul Lutter, who died last May, was honored at a PAWS (Pets Are Worth Saving) Chicago event Feb. 25. Lutter's estate bequeathed the PAWS for Life program $500,000 so low ...
|Photos: Pets at the holidays 2014-12-24|
- HAPPY HOLIDAYS FROM WE HEART PETS! A special thanks to everyone who submitted pet photos for this year's installment. May you enjoy the warmth and companionship of your pets this holiday season. ...
|We Love Pets 2014-04-22|
- Mr. Peppermint is a three-year-old male New Zealand White. He has a lot of personality; he loves to follow you around the house, wedge himself under your feet while you sit, or hang out on the ...
|Couple asks for help in locating missing dogs
- An Avondale couple is asking for help in locating their two French bulldogs, who went missing after a burglary the morning of March 11, NBC 5 reported. [UPDATE BELOW: The dogs have been found.] David Wilk ...