WINDY CITY TIMES
||Obama: Our work is not finished on gay marriage
From a White House News Release, posted April 21, 2011
This article shared 5364 times since Wed Apr 20, 2011
The White House
Office of the Press Secretary
For Immediate Release
April 21, 2011
Remarks by the President at a DNC Event, Nob Hill Masonic Center, San Francisco, California 8:52 P.M. PDT<,B>
... THE PRESIDENT: ... We put two wise women on the Supreme Court, including the first Latina Supreme Court justice. (Applause.) And we rolled back "don't ask, don't tell," so that everybody can serve their country regardless of who they love. (Applause.) And then we dealt with pirates -- (laughter) -- and a pandemic. You forgot about that. An oil spill. We've been pretty busy. And yet our work is not finished. It is going --
AUDIENCE MEMBER: Gay marriage.
THE PRESIDENT: Our work is not finished. (Applause.) It is going to take -- it is going to take more than a couple of years. It is going to take more than one term for us to finish everything that we need to do. (Applause.) ...
This article shared 5364 times since Wed Apr 20, 2011
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|WORLD South Africa, Greek ruling, soccer items, singer attacked 2022-05-08|
- South African President Matamela Cyril Ramaphosa praised his country for creating a conducive environment for LGB people to practice same-sex marriages and partnerships, according to Erasing 76 Crimes. Speaking at a Freedom Day celebration in Mpumalanga, ...
|Same-sex couple have historic wedding in Antarctica 2022-04-26|
- RRS Sir David Attenborough crew members Eric Bourne and Stephen Carpenter are now the first same-sex couple ever married in the British Antarctic Territory on April 24, The Maritime Executive noted. The Maritime Executive noted that ...
|NATIONAL Prop 8, Disney, Andy Warhol, transgender judge 2022-04-03|
- The videotaped trial of the 2010 U.S. court case challenging California's ban on same-sex marriage should not be released to the public, defenders of the since-overturned state Proposition 8 told the U.S. Supreme Court in a ...
|Judge: Former clerk Kim Davis violated same-sex couples' rights 2022-03-20|
- A federal judge found that Kim Davisthe former Kentucky clerk whose refusal to sign marriage certificates for same-sex couples made national headlines in 2015violated their constitutional rights, NPR reported. Now it has to be determined if ...
|Top UK court upholds Cayman Islands marriage-equality ban 2022-03-14|
- On March 14, the UK Privy Council ruled that the Cayman Islands Constitution does not provide a right for same-sex marriage and ruled in favor of the Cayman Islands government by dismissing the case of lesbian ...
|WORLD Warlord killed, marriage items, Chile president, Tchaikovsky 2022-03-13|
- One of the top warlords and a close advisor to Chechen strongman Ramzan Kadyrov was killed recently in the battle for Antonov Airport, also known as Hostomel Airportan international cargo airport and testing facility northwest of ...
|WORLD Namibia ruling, crimes, LGBTQ+ film festival, blogger sentenced 2022-01-23|
- Namibia's High Court ruled against two same-sex couples fighting for recognition of their marriages, with Judge Hannelie Prinsloo saying she agreed with them but was bound by the nation's prohibition of same-sex relations, Reuters reported. Daniel ...
|LGBTQ+-rights activist Jim Obergefell announces political run 2022-01-18|
- Jim Obergefell the LGBTQ+-rights activist and named plaintiff in the Supreme Court case that legalized same-sex marriage nationwide announced Jan. 18 that he is launching a bid for the Ohio state House, CNN.com reported. "I took a history-ma ...
|Plaintiff in historic Florida marriage-equality lawsuit found dead 2022-01-14|
- In Florida, Jorge Diaz-Johnston was recently found dead in a Jackson County landfill, ABC News reported. Diaz-Johnston, 54, was reported missing on Jan. 3 near his workplace and police are investigating his death as a homicide, ...
|Skydeck Chicago announces Valentine's Day 'Love on The Ledge' contest 2022-01-05|
- Skydeck Chicago has announced its annual "Love on The Ledge" social media contest. The event at the Willis Tower observation deck gives adventurous couples of all backgrounds the chance to tie the knot or renew their ...
|Monks separate from school after it hires coach in same-sex marriage 2022-01-05|
- The group of Benedictine monks governing Lisle's Benet Academy announced it will cut ties with the school after the hiring of a lacrosse coach who is in a same-sex marriage, according to Naperville News 17. Benet ...
|Israel allows surrogacy for same-sex couples, trans people and single men 2022-01-04|
- Israel Health Minister Nitzan Horowitz announced that, starting next week, same-sex couples, single men and transgender people will be able to parent children through surrogacy, an option that was previously banned for them in the country, ...
|New Jersey legislature votes to codify marriage equality 2021-12-21|
- On Dec. 20, New Jersey lawmakers took steps to protect marriage equality, with both houses of the state legislature voting to enshrine the right to same-sex marriage into state law, PhillyVoice.com reported. Sponsors of the legislation ...
|WORLD Chile's marriage law, Tokyo's move, Iran arrest, Mr. Gay World resigns 2021-12-19|
- Chilean President Sebastian Pinera signed a historic bill legalizing same-sex marriage into law, days after the measure was approved by Congress, Al-Jazeera reported. The law "puts all love relationships between two people on an equal footing," ...
|NATIONAL New Jersey, Audre Lorde, LGBTQ book, youth items 2021-12-19|
- In the face of growing anxiety over the Supreme Court's conservative bent, state lawmakers in New Jersey are moving to pass marriage-equality legislation, Gay City News reported. According to Garden State Equality, the New Jersey Assembly's ...