WINDY CITY TIMES
||Nicki Minaj is herself at Chicago concert
Special to the online edition of Windy City Times
by Jerry Nunn, Windy City Times
This article shared 39 times since Tue Jul 24, 2012
Rapper Nicki Minaj has always danced to the beat of her own drum. Even her original nameOnika Marajis interesting by itself. Being from St. James, Trinidad, and moving to New York when she was very young must have shaped her as a performer. She has quickly grown into a performer who is not to be missed.
After seeing her open for Britney Spears last year, it was obvious she was headed for a solo tour and almost stole the show back then, in my opinion.
She brought that act to a sold-out crowd at the Chicago Theatre on Pink Monday, July 16. Many of the fans dressed in neon or wore fuchsia wigs, dancing in the aisles and screaming loudly. There has not been that much dressing up at a concert since Katy Perry was in town. The audience was composed of many gay attendees, skewing to a younger demographic in general.
She entered to kick off this first stop on a massive world tour wearing a black hood in front of a castle set, chanting her dramatic song "Roman's Revenge." Her budget must have been through the roof and she worked the stairs, giving herself a high-heeled workout throughout the evening.
Her opener, 2 Chainz, returned to the stage for a guest appearance for "Beez in the Trap" that will surely be released as a single at some point.
"Stupid Hoe" was a surprise as a success single, with some tough-to- censor lyrics that may not have been the best example to set with such a young audience.
"Starships" has been the longest-running single of the summer and, live, she proved why.
With confetti cannons to finish the concert with "Super Bass," Minaj proved that she is ready for even bigger venues. Maybe Britney will open for her one day!
Keep up with the tour at mypinkfriday.com/events and more local concerts at www.livenation.com .
This article shared 39 times since Tue Jul 24, 2012
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Kokandy Productions announces 2023 Season 2023-03-22|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (March 22, 2023) — Kokandy Productions is thrilled to announce its 2023 season, including two fully produced musicals, plus plans for the return of the Chicago Musical Theatre Festival. This summer, Kokandy will dive into ...
|Kendrick Lamar, Billie Eilish, Diplo and more to headline Lollapalooza on Aug. 3-6 2023-03-21|
--From a press release - (Chicago—March 21, 2023) Lollapalooza has unveiled a powerhouse lineup for the 2023 edition, featuring first-time headliners Kendrick Lamar and Billie Eilish along with Red Hot Chili Peppers, ODESZA, Lana Del Rey, Karol G, who will make ...
|Opera Preview: Life of gay World War II hero Alan Turing transformed into a world-premiere opera 2023-03-17|
- It has taken a decade for The Life and Death(s) of Alan Turing to grow from an idea into a full- fledged opera. Chicago Opera Theater stages the world premiere of composer Justine F. Chen and ...
|Lyric Opera of Chicago announces its 2023-24 season 2023-03-14|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (3/14/2023) — Lyric Opera of Chicago, led by General Director, President & CEO Anthony Freud and Music Director Enrique Mazzola, today announces the company's 2023/24 Season, which takes audiences on a global tour of opera ...
|House Musical, Coming of Age in the Age of House, coming to Hoover-Leppen Theatre 2023-03-14|
--From a press release - Campsongs Productions presents the world premiere of House Musical - Coming of Age in the Age of House, with book by Marcus Waller, music by Scott Free (with Michael Foley) and lyrics by Scott Free and ...
|Mayor Lightfoot, DCASE announce dates for summer festivals and events 2023-03-13|
--From a press release - CHICAGOToday, Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot and the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE) announced the 2023 dates for some of the City of Chicago's most beloved summertime traditions. Returning festivals and events include ...
|SHOWBIZ Little Richard, Indigo Girls, Rodriguez's honor, dance film, Pedro Pascal 2023-03-10|
Video below - Produced by Bungalow Media + Entertainment for CNN Films and HBO Max, in association with Rolling Stone Films, director Lisa Cortes' Sundance opening-night documentary Little Richard: I Am Everything will debut in theaters and on VOD ...
|SHOWBIZ Wanda Sykes, Jonas Brothers, 'Queen of Versailles,' 'Bloodshed' 2023-03-04|
Adam Lambert video below - Award-winning comedian Wanda Sykes' new comedy special, I'm An Entertainer, will premiere globally on Netflix on May 23, a press release announced. The special, directed by Linda Mendoza, was filmed in early February 2023 at Philadelphia's ...
|Singer Zolita zips through Chicago on a whirlwind tour 2023-02-28|
- Zoe Montana Hoetzel has evolved into the multidimensional artist known as Zolita while cultivating a massive following. Her personality is multifaceted as well. She identifies as a lesbian, an activist and a witch, but she's also ...
|SHOWBIZ Black queer films, Janet Jackson, Paramore, WNBA, GALECA contest 2023-02-19|
- Queerty ran a piece on 10 films that celebrate Black queer love. Some of them include The Skinny (with Jussie Smollett), Dee Rees' movie Pariah, the Oscar-winning Moonlight, the Marlon Riggs classic Tongues Untied, Brother to ...
|Theater Review: Cabaret continues to reflect on our modern challenges 2023-02-14|
- Title: Cabaret. Book: Joe Masteroff; Score: John Kander & Fred Ebb. At: Porchlight Music Theatre at Ruth Page Center for the Arts, 1016 N. Dearborn St. Tickets: 773-777-9884 or www.PorchlightMusicTheatre.org; prices begin at $25. Runs through ...
|Goran Stolevski grows up fast with Of an Age 2023-02-14|
- Openly gay filmmaker Goran Stolevski is a triple threat: He handled directing, writing and editing chores for his new project, Of an Age, which Focus Features is now distributing. The film is already taking home trophies ...
|Queer songwriter donates $500K to Chicago Academy for the Arts 2023-02-13|
- Returning to the school that they said saved their life years ago and set them on a path to becoming one of the most celebrated activists and songwriters of the modern era, it was announced Feb. ...
|SHOWBIZ Isaac Mizrahi, Viola Davis, Laura Jane Grace, Elton John, GLAAD 2023-02-11|
- On Sherri Shepherd's talk show, entertainer/fashion designer Isaac Mizrahi said he'd love for out actor Dan Levy to portray him in a potential biopic based on Mizrahi's memoir, I.M., The Wrap noted. "Dan Levy, OK," Mizrahi ...
|Windy City Gay Chorus, Windy City Treble Quire present Our Common Thread: Songs of Love, Loss, Life 2023-02-10|
--From a press release - CHICAGO - The Windy City Gay Chorus and Windy City Treble Quire are excited to announce their upcoming 2023 spring concert, Our Common Thread: Songs of Love, Loss and Life, under the direction of Dr. Eric ...