WINDY CITY TIMES
||New play by Black, Brown teens on coming of age in the age of Trump
This article shared 1048 times since Tue May 21, 2019
MAY 2019, CHICAGO, IL: The ensemble of Black, brown, immigrant, queer, and trans teenagers who developed MAKE AMERICA TEEN ALREADY ( M.A.T.A. ) have come of age in the Trump era - a political moment marked by strong anti-immigration rhetoric, a rolling back of legal protections for women and LGBTQ people, and a persistent scapegoating of Chicago as a place where "criminals and thugs" run wild. In M.A.T.A, under the directorial guidance of Ricardo Gamboa, Sean Parris, and Keren DÃaz de LeÃ"n, the ensemble shares personal stories, explores harsh historical truths, and pieces together the suppressed history of teens as a political force in the U.S to make a compelling case for the necessity of their vision and voice. Both treatise and manifesto, M.A.T.A. is the result of a seven-month rehearsal process at Free Street's Storyfront, a programming space that centers the experiences and stories of residents in Back of the Yards and its neighboring communities.
"One of the most important moments in our rehearsal process for me was on the day the ensemble first shared personal stories about how their lives have been affected by this presidency," says co-director Keren DÃaz de LeÃ"n. "There's this tremendous commitment within these young people to be vulnerable, honest, and to offer each other care. But we also witnessed their bravery and insistence to demand better of this country- to actively fight for a better world and their refusal to settle." M.A.T.A. invites the audience to dream of a more equitable future and urgently demands that youth be taken seriously as agents of change. "This is a play that is about destroying adultism," notes Parris. "This is a play about making a case that being a teenager is as important as being an adult, if not more important."
MAKE AMERICA TEEN ALREADY ( M.A.T.A. ) opens June 10th and runs Mondays and Fridays at 7pm. Free Street is committed to economic and geographic accessibility: all performances are pay-what-you-can and free children's co-programming during the show will be offered on June 21st. The Storyfront space is wheelchair accessible.
Performance dates: June 10, 14, 17, 21, 24, and 28; closing date July 3.
Performance times: Doors open at 6:30, show at 7pm. Approximate running time 75 minutes, no intermission.
Location: Free Street's Storyfront in Back of the Yards ( 4346 S. Ashland Ave )
For tickets: www.freestreet.org
Accessibility info: wheelchair accessible, co-programming for children and closed captioning on June 21st.
—From a press release
This article shared 1048 times since Tue May 21, 2019
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|THEATER Kokandy's 'Sweeney Todd' running Sept. 8-Nov. 6 2022-08-12|
- Kokandy Productions will continue its 10th-anniversary season with a revival of Stephen Sondheim's Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street that will run Sept. 8-Nov. 6. The production will feature music and lyrics by Sondheim, ...
|COMEDY Talking with 'World' traveler Annick Adelle 2022-08-11|
- Bay Area attorney Annick Adelle has decided to face one of her biggest fears: stand-up comedy. After starting in 2016, she is releasing her own album and touring throughout the United States. ...
|Congo Square Theatre's 'What to Send Up When It Goes Down' at Lookingglass on Sept. 24-Oct. 16 2022-08-10|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (Aug. 10, 2022)â€”Congo Square Theatre Company, one of the nation's premier African American ensemble theater companies, and Lookingglass Theatre Company announce that single tickets are now on sale for ...
|Billy Masters 2022-08-08|
- "I wasn't trying to have his career because he sings, he dances. I'm barely a single threat. I'm just an actor."â€”Tuc Watkins, explaining how he emulated the career trajectory of Kevin Klineâ€” to the best of ...
|SHOWBIZ Jane Lynch, Dwayne Johnson, 'Star Trek,' Beyonce, Shea Coulee 2022-08-07|
- NBC has renewed the Jane Lynch-hosted game show Weakest Link for a third season, Variety noted. Season three will run for 20 episodes. The series is based on a British format distributed by BBC Studios that ...
|Casting announced for queer-centered play 'St. Sebastian' 2022-08-05|
- Refracted Theatre Company announced casting for its world premiere of Andrew Kramer's dark comedy St. Sebastian, directed by Artistic Director Graham Miller. The play features Nolan Robinson, Mack Spotts and ...
|Angelica Ross to be first trans lead in Broadway's 'Chicago' 2022-08-04|
- Trans actors have made all sorts of impressions on Broadway, but former Chicagoan Angelica Ross has set a precedent. Next month, the leading role of fame-hungry murderess Roxie Hart will be played by Angelica Ross. Ross ...
|PASSAGES Chicago Latino Theater Alliance Executive Director Myrna Salazar dies at 75 2022-08-04|
- The Chicago Latino Theater Alliance (CLATA) announced that co-founder and Executive Director Myrna Salazar passed away Aug. 3two weeks after celebrating her 75th birthday. According to a press release, "Salazar ...
|THEATER 'Cabaret' coming to Metropolis Arts on Sept. 15 2022-08-02|
- Musical Broadway classic and hit film Cabaret re-creates the decadent and complicated world of 1929 Berlin at the Arlington Heights venue Metropolis Performing Arts Centre on Sept. 15-Oct. 22. Cabaret is Kander and Ebb's legendary musical ...
|Oak Park Festival Theatre's 'The Winter's Tale' running thru Aug. 20 2022-08-02|
- Oak Park Festival Theatre's The Winter's Tale will run at Austin Gardens (167 Forest Ave., Oak Park) through Sunday, Aug. 20. The Winter's Tale marks Oak Park Festival Theatre's return to the stage after a devastating ...
|Story Jam and Cerqua Rivera collaboration on July 27 at Artifact Events 2022-07-25|
- Story Jam's next storytelling showâ€”in a series of monthly shows at Artifact Events â€”will take place Wed., July 27, at 7:30 p.m. at 4325 N. Ravenswood Ave. "Living Truth: True Stories" is a storytelling collaboration with ...
|SHOWBIZ Broadway, 'Game of Thrones' prequel, Dexter Mayfield, Shania Twain 2022-07-24|
- The Broadway League announced that theaters will continue their recently adopted mask-optional policy for audiences at least through August, Deadline reported. The mask-optional policyâ€”in which audiences are encouraged but not ...
|THEATER 'The Mamalogues' in Evanston on July 23-Aug. 7 2022-07-19|
- The Fleetwood-Jourdain Theatre will present Lisa B. Thompson's The Mamaloguesan evening of monologues about the experience of parenting while Black, unmarried and middle-class in the age of anxietyfrom July 23 to Aug. 7 at the Noyes ...
|THEATER 'The Devil Wears Prada' cast members dish about musical's Chicago debut 2022-07-18|
- "All right, everyone! Gird your loins" as a stage musical version of The Devil Wears Prada is set for a world premiere in the Windy City this July as part of the lineup for Broadway in Chicago. Tony Award winner Beth ...
|SHOWBIZ Warhol/Basquiat, 'Raven's Home,' Jonathan Bailey, Broadway, Ricky Martin 2022-07-17|
Video below - The Collaborationâ€”Anthony McCarten's hit London play about artists Andy Warhol and Jean-Michel Basquiatâ€”will make its U.S. premiere on Broadway this fall, with Paul Bettany and Jeremy Pope as the two ...