WINDY CITY TIMES
||Michelle Lauto to host Jeff Awards Nov. 9
--From a Jeff Awards press release
This article shared 1648 times since Wed Oct 28, 2020
Oct. 28, 2020 — Chicago — Award-winning actress and singer Michelle Lauto is host of this year's Jeff Awards celebrating Equity theater in a virtual program scheduled to stream Monday, Nov. 9, 2020. With theater stages dark and the pandemic preventing live gatherings, the Jeff Awards follows its move online for the annual recognition program that began with the Non-Equity awards last June.
Lauto will lead the evening program honoring theater excellence among a talented group of nominees including 142 theater artists and their behind the scenes teams across 30 artistic and technical categories. This year, nominees are featured in 37 productions at the home of 28 Equity theater companies.
Seen in film and on many Chicago stages, including Porchlight Music Theatre, Marriott Theatre and the Royal George Theater, Lauto is known for her emotionally intense and comedic acting as well as sensational singing. Both a past Jeff Award winner and a nominee, she has been called "spectacular," "ebullient," and a "Broadway-quality performer" in major reviews.
The 52nd Annual Jeff Awards program will stream at 7:00pm (CST) on Monday, November 9. The virtual awards ceremony recognizes theater excellence over the past Equity season and honors the dedicated artists, behind the scenes teams and theater companies so significantly impacted during these challenging times. Access is available for free on the Jeff Awards YouTube channel at bit.ly/JeffAwards. An alert of when the program starts is available by subscribing to the Jeff Awards channel.
More about this program and the Jeff Awards at www.jeffawards.org or on social media including Facebook, Instagram (@thejeffawards) and Twitter (@josephjefferson).
This article shared 1648 times since Wed Oct 28, 2020
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|SHOWBIZ 'The World to Come' film, Dan Reynolds, Broadway, Green Lantern 2021-03-07|
- The lesbian-themed film The World to Come is available to buy or rent, a press release noted. In this 19th-century romance (from Bleeker Street) that's set in the Northeast, Abigail (played by Katherine Waterston), a farmer's ...
|THEATER Global, Grindr-based 'Borders' to run Feb. 25-27
- Dirty Laundry Theatre's virtual experience Borders, directed by Chicago resident Michael R. Piazza, will feature three live shows on Feb. 25-27. Written by Nimrod Danishman and directed by Piazza, Borders tells the story of two gay ...
|'You For Me For You' benefit on Feb. 28
- Sideshow Theatre Company will launch its 2021 season with a one-night-only benefit screening of its 2018 hit You For Me For You, written by Mia Chung and directed by ensemble member Elly Green. The archival recording ...
|Court Theatre announces 2021 Southside Youth Fest, platform for teens 2021-02-18|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL - Court Theatre, under the continuing leadership of Charles Newell, Marilyn F. Vitale Artistic Director, and Executive Director Angel Ysaguirre, announces Court's 2021 Southside Youth Fest, inviting South Side teens to submit original digi ...
|Court Theatre premieres spotlight podcast highlighting Black writers 2021-02-18|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL - Court Theatre, under the continuing leadership of Charles Newell, Marilyn F. Vitale Artistic Director, and Executive Director Angel Ysaguirre, announces the online premiere of its Spotlight Podcast. A key component of Court's community ...
|Next 'OUTspoken' event March 2
- The next session of OUTspokena monthly storytelling event that centers on tales of fun and fortune from local LGBTQ+ men and women and their close friendswill take place Tuesday, March 2, at 7 p.m. on Zoom. ...
|Stage Left Theatre announces new Literary Manager 2021-02-13|
--From a press release - Stage Left Theatre is delighted to announce Bobbi Masters as our new Literary Manager. She is an artist/educator with a passion for new work who has been involved in various phases of new play development throughout ...
|Where Did We Sit on the Bus? online streaming production starts Feb. 22 2021-02-04|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL— Victory Gardens Theater and Geva Theatre Center announce the online streaming production of Brian Quijada's music-infused production of Where Did We Sit on the Bus?, written and performed by Brian Quijada and directed by ...
|Actors Gym opens another venue, will hold in-person classes
- Actors Gym announced the opening of a third studio in Evanston's Noyes Cultural Arts Center and a new, expanded class curriculum. The facility will be primarily dedicated to the nine month Professional Training Program's new Clown ...
|Actor, writer Lena Waithe to headline screenwriting conference at DePaul U 2021-01-26|
--From a press release - CHICAGO Emmy Award-winning writer, creator, producer and actor Lena Waithe of "Twenties," "The Chi" and "Queen & Slim" will headline DePaul University's Courier 12 Screenwriting Conference Feb. 5-6. DePaul's School of Cinematic Arts will pr ...
|African American Arts Alliance, Black Ensemble Theater Martin Luther King Day 2021-01-25|
--From a press release - The African American Arts Alliance of Chicago and Black Ensemble Theater present the 10th Annual Martin Luther King Jr. Day Celebration on Monday, January 18, 2021 at 6:00pm. The jubilant, online event is free will be ...
|THEATER A Red Orchid Theatre running magical 'Missed Connections' Feb. 2-28 2021-01-19|
- A Red Orchid Theatre is presenting Missed Connectionsa live, interactive play with magic, conceived for virtual experience, co-written by Jon Tai and Alex Gruhin, performed by magician Jon Tai and produced by Alex Gruhinon Feb. 2-28. ...
|Virtual OUTspoken storytelling event Feb. 2
- The next virtual OUTspoken Storytelling Night will take place Feb. 2 at 7 p.m. The speakers will be as follows: Donald Bell is a third-generation Chicagoan, South Sider and White Sox fan who is a retired ...
|'Dixie's Happy Hour' streaming Jan. 26-31
- On the heels of Dixie's Tupperware Party and Dixie's: Never Wear a Tube Top While Riding a Mechanical Bull (and 16 other things I learned while I was drinking last Thursday), drag personality Dixie Longate is ...
|Hell in a Handbag Productions to present
Out, Darn Spot! 2021-01-15|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (Jan. 15, 2021) — Hell in a Handbag Productions is pleased to present the campy comedyOut, Darn Spot!, written by and starring ensemble member Tyler Anthony Smith* and directed, filmed and edited by Stephanie Shaw. ...