WINDY CITY TIMES
||Madigan resigns as state Democratic chair
This article shared 415 times since Tuesday
On Feb. 22, former longtime Illinois House Speaker Michael Madigan resigned as chairman of the state Democratic Partyone day after anointing 26-year-old constituent services worker Edward Guerra Kodatt to fill the legislative seat he held for a half-century, The Chicago Tribune reported.
Cook County Clerk Karen Yarbrough, previously the Democratic vice chair, will take over on an interim basis, the party announced.
Madigan's resignation as the head of the state party, a post he's held since 1998, completes the swift downfall that began when fellow House Democrats deposed him as speaker last month. He had been speaker for almost four decades.
Yarbrough will be the head of the state party until the 36 members of the Democratic State Central Committee meet to choose someone to serve out the remainder of the current term, which ends after the March 2022 primary election. Under Illinois law, that meeting must take place within 30 days.
NBC Chicago reported that U.S. Rep. Robin Kelly announced that she will seek to replace him in that role.
This article shared 415 times since Tuesday
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Mike Madigan picks second successor
- On Feb. 25, Angelica Guerrero-Cuellar was sworn in as the new 22nd District state representative, media outlets reported. Guerrero-Cuellar is the second person to succeed now-former Illinois House Speaker Mike Madigan in less than a week. ...
|House passes Equality Act, LGBTQ Victory Institute demands Senate vote 2021-02-25|
--From a press release - Washington, DC — Today LGBTQ Victory Institute — the only national organization dedicated to supporting LGBTQ elected officials — applauded the U.S. House for passing the Equality Act and called on U.S. senators not to filibuster ...
|Vaccine eligibility opens to Illinoisans with serious medical conditions 2021-02-25|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Building on efforts to equitably distribute the COVID-19 vaccine, Governor Pritzker and the Illinois Department of Health today announced that Illinoisans with serious medical conditions can be vaccinated ...
|Dr. Rachel Levine confirmation hearing today, to be first trans Senate-confirmed appointee 2021-02-25|
--From a press release - Washington, DC — Today Dr. Rachel Levine will testify before the U.S. Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions about her experience and qualifications to be the next U.S. Assistant Secretary of Health. If moved ...
|Victory Institute condemns Rand Paul attack on
Dr. Rachel Levine, trans youth 2021-02-25|
--From a press release - Washington, DC — Today LGBTQ Victory Institute condemned Senator Rand Paul's transphobic attack on Dr. Rachel Levine during her confirmation hearing before the U.S. Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions. He attacked trans you ...
|Advocates, legislators introduce bill to
decriminalize HIV in Illinois 2021-02-25|
--From a press release - SPRINGFIELD, IL - Legislation was introduced in Springfield this week to end criminal penalties against people living with HIV (PLWH), which serve only to stigmatize and discriminate against PLWH. Current Illinois law makes legal behavior — ...
|Three Illinoisans among Victory Fund's latest endorsed candidates
- On Feb. 24, LGBTQ Victory Fund—the only national organization dedicated to electing LGBTQ leaders to public office—issued a press release announcing its endorsement of 30 more LGBTQ candidates for 2021 races. Illinois candidates in the group ...
|Daniel Biss wins Evanston mayoral race
- Former Illinois state Sen. Daniel Biss, a Democrat, won the Evanston mayoral race on Feb. 23, media outlets reported. An hour after polls closed, Biss had collected more than 73 percent of the votes counted and ...
|Mike Madigan now wants successor to step down
- Just two days after appointing Edward Guerra Kodatt as his successor, former Illinois House Speaker Mike Madigan has asked him to step down, according to various media outlets. Marty Quinn, alderman of Chicago's 13th Ward, joined ...
|1.3 million adult immigrants in the US identify as LGBT
--From a press release - LGBT immigrants are more often male and younger compared to all immigrants in the country An estimated 1,274,500 LGBT foreign-born adults live in the U.S., including 289,700 who are undocumented and 984,800 who are documented, according ...
|Mike Madigan chooses successor
- Former Illinois House Speaker Michael Madigan said Feb. 21 he hasn't made a decision on how long he will continue as state Democratic Party chairman as he installed a 26-year-old constituent services worker as his successor ...
|WORLD Canadian groups, Moroccan refugee, LGBT+ Rights Ghana, trans heroine 2021-02-21|
- From $400,000 in funding for a national initiative aimed at expanding two-spirit advocacy, to $239,000 to improve LGBTQ youth housing access in the Prairies, 76 Canadian community groups are being sent nearly $15 million from the ...
|Equality Act introduced Feb. 18
- The Equality Act was formally reintroduced to Congress on Feb. 18 by U.S. Sen. Jeff Merkley and openly gay U.S. Rep. David Cicilline, Gay City News reported. The legislation, which most recently passed the lower chamber ...
|Equality Act reintroduced in House of Representatives, NCLR responds 2021-02-18|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON, DC — Today, NCLR lauded the reintroduction of the Equality Act (H.R. 5), a bipartisan comprehensive federal civil rights bill that would create permanent protections for LGBTQ individuals, women ...
|Mike Madigan to resign from Illinois House
- Illinois state Rep. Michael Madigan announced that he plans to resign from the Illinois House at the end of this month, The Chicago Tribune reported. Madigan has represented a Southwest Side district for a half-century—the majority ...