WINDY CITY TIMES
by JIM EDMINSTER
This article shared 2151 times since Wed Oct 15, 2003
From the 'No-Doubt-Soon-To-Be-A-Made-For-TV-Movie' file: The Independent (9-29) could not make up the incredible story of Ernest Hemingway's son Gregory, '...a furtive cross-dresser,' manic depressive, transsexual, who died in the women's annex of the Dade County, Fla., jail. Now the last of his four wives and five of his eight children are fighting over his estate. The children's argument is that when Gregory married his last wife, Ida, he'd already had his sex-change operation, and since Florida doesn't recognize same-sex marriages Ida shouldn't (and they should) inherit.
Neil Steinberg in his Chicago Sun-Times column (10/10) conjures up the ghost of Jon-Henri Damski, the gay Chicago journalist and writer (dead these five years) as a sort of antidote to what Steinberg calls the new 'Queer Eye' stereotype. Damski of course looked like '... he slept in the hallway' of a fleabag hotel, not at all like the Fab 5. The column indicates this stereotyping of gays (for good, not evil) may be a historical necessity but eventually will be thought of as a 'Stepin' Fetchit' moment in gay history.
Time magazine (10/13) has a report from the 'gay frontier' in Wyoming and the changes the state has gone through since the murder of Matthew Shepard there five years ago. A number of prominent local people have come out: Casper City Councilman Guy Padgett, for example. There is a campus gay group, Spectrum, at the U. of Wyoming in Laramie. Matthew Shepard's mother Judy travels the state and nation urging lesbians and gays to live openly. It is agreed by all that homophobia remains common in the state, but at least it's a bit more muted.
This article shared 2151 times since Wed Oct 15, 2003
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Fashion designer Thierry Mugler dies at 73 2022-01-24|
- Openly gay French fashion designer Thierry Mugler (full name: Manfred Thierry Mugler) has passed away at age 73, according to media reports. Madonna, Lady Gaga and Cardi B are among those who have worn his designs. ...
|Nominations announced for 33rd Annual GLAAD Media Awards 2022-01-19|
-- From a press release - New York, NY - Wed., Jan. 19, 2022 - GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, today announced the nominees for the 33rd Annual GLAAD Media Awards. RuPaul's Drag ...
|Texas' anti-trans youth sports law goes into effect 2022-01-18|
- A new Texas law bars transgender student athletes from competing on school sports teams that align with their gender identity, Houston Public Media reported. House Bill 25 is one of several laws that went into effect ...
|Trans actress Rodriguez makes history at quiet Golden Globes 2022-01-10|
- On Jan. 9, Michaela Jae "Mj" Rodriguez won a Golden Globe for best actress in a TV drama for her role as Blanca on the FX show Pose, according to media reports. The awards were announced on social media, as the Globes were not broadcast or live-streamed ...
|Jason Lee talks Kevin Hart, Jussie Smollett and 'Hollywood Unlocked' 2022-01-09|
- In just a few years, LGBTQ+ media personality Jason Lee's star has shone brightly in Hollywood. In 2015, Lee started appearing on the reality show Love & Hip Hop: Hollywood as well as the MTV improv ...
|Chicago's first-ever Festival au Cinema to take place Aug. 26-28 2022-01-07|
- Haven Chicago has announced its first-ever Festival au Cinema, described as "the company's new platform for visionary and innovative filmmakers and media artists staking their claim in the future of digital storytelling." Festival au Cinema will ...
|Skydeck Chicago announces Valentine's Day 'Love on The Ledge' contest 2022-01-05|
- Skydeck Chicago has announced its annual "Love on The Ledge" social media contest. The event at the Willis Tower observation deck gives adventurous couples of all backgrounds the chance to tie the knot or renew their ...
|Former Democratic leader Harry Reid dies at 82 2021-12-29|
- Harry Reid, the former Democratic Senate leader who spearheaded epic legislative battles through three decades in Congress, has died at age 82 following a long battle with pancreatic cancer, according to media reports. Reid rose from ...
|GLAAD planning in-person ceremonies for 2022 2021-12-20|
- GLAAD announced that the GLAAD Media Awards will return to in-person ceremonies in New York City and Los Angeles in 2022 after being virtual in 2020 and 2021. The 33rd Annual GLAAD Media Awards in Los ...
|PASSAGES Information technology specialist Erik Burns dies at 45 2021-12-20|
- Tribune Media Service Delivery Vice President and former information technology (IT) project manager Erik Burns died Dec. 10 after a 13-month battle with stage four metastatic colon cancer. He was 45. ...
|Author Anne Rice dies at 80 2021-12-12|
- Writer Anne Rice, whose Interview With The Vampire sold more than 150 million copies, died at age 80 on Dec. 11, according to media reports. Her son Christopher Rice, an out gay man who is also ...
|Windy City Times 2021 recipient of NLGJA: The Association of LGBTQ Journalists Legacy Award 2021-12-08|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON, D.C. (December 9, 2021) — Today, NLGJA: The Association of LGBTQ Journalists announced that the Windy City Times is the 2021 recipient of the NLGJA: The Association of LGBTQ Journalists Legacy Award. The NLGJA: The ...
|Broadway titan Stephen Sondheim dies at 91 2021-11-27|
- Stephen Sondheim, one of the giants of Broadway songwriting, died Nov. 26 at his home in Roxbury, Connecticut, according to media reports. He was 91. Among the works in the legend's oeuvre are Company (1970), Follies ...
|Three white men found guilty in fatal shooting of Ahmaud Arbery 2021-11-24|
- On Nov. 24, a jury found three white men guilty of murder and other charges in the fatal shooting of Ahmaud Arbery, who was Black, early last year, according to media reports. Father and son Gregory ...
|Christina Kahrl, Monica Roberts named to LGBTQ Journalists Hall of Fame 2021-11-22|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON, D.C. (November 22, 2021) — Today, NLGJA: The Association of LGBTQ Journalists announced that BaseballProspectus.com co-founder and San Francisco Chronicle sports editor Christina Kahrl and TransGriot founder Monica Roberts ...