WINDY CITY TIMES
||MCA announces new curatorial leadership
This article shared 901 times since Thu Nov 18, 2021
The Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago (MCA) announces the appointments of two new leaders to its curatorial teamRene Morales, as the James W. Alsdorf Chief Curator; and Jamillah James, as Manilow Senior Curator.
Morales and James will assume their roles at the MCA in January 2022.
Born in Cienfuegos, Cuba, and raised in Miami, Morales is an award-winning curator and significant presence in Miami's art scene. He brings more than 25 years of curatorial experience, previously serving as director of curatorial affairs and chief curator at the Perez Art Museum Miami.
James was previously senior curator at the Institute of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles.
This article shared 901 times since Thu Nov 18, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|'Community Parades and Activism: LGBTQ Claiming its Space' on June 4 2022-05-26|
- The discussion-centered event "Community Parades and Activism: LGBTQ Claiming its Space" will take place Saturday, June 4, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. at the Puerto Rican Arts Alliance, 3000 N. Elbridge Ave. An open discussion about LGBTQ/SGL activism ...
|Howard Brown Health unveils Pride mural at Walsh Park 2022-05-26|
- On May 25, Howard Brown Health unveiled a mural celebrating Pride month, in collaboration with local artist David Anthony Geary. The unveiling took place at Walsh Park, 1722 N. Ashland Ave. Wintrust Bank's ongoing community partnership ...
|Artist Rick Sindt explores queer desire and pornography in 'Skin Remembers' 2022-05-25|
- Rick Sindt, a Chicago-based artist who recently moved to St. Louis, explores the discovery and development of queer attraction in his exhibit "Skin Remembers." Sindt transforms pornographic stills, repurposing them into images of intimacy. Sindt recently ...
|'EMERGENCE: Intersections at the Center' exhibit highlights queer community art 2022-05-23|
- South Side Community Art Center's (SSCAC) newest exhibition explores the center's role in uplifting and supporting a community of queer Black creators through a collection of their art from the 1940s through the 1980s. "Bringing black ...
|Quiz program 'Wait, Wait' to start taping June 16 at the Studebaker 2022-05-16|
- Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me!, NPR's weekly hour-long quiz program, will resume live audience recordings Thursday, June 16, in a new Chicago home: the historic Studebaker Theater at the Fine Arts Building, 401 S. Michigan Ave. ...
|BOOKS 'Tinderbox' author to appear in Palatine on June 14 2022-05-13|
- Author Robert Fieseler will discuss his debut book—Tinderbox: The Untold Story of the Up Stairs Lounge Fire and the Rise of Gay Liberation—on Tuesday, June 14, at 7 p.m. at Palatine's Cutting Hall Performing Arts Center, ...
|57th Street Art Fair marking 75th anniversary on June 4-5 2022-05-12|
- The 57th Street Art Fair, the Midwest's oldest juried art fair, will mark its 75th anniversary with an in-person celebration on June 4-5 featuring nearly 200 artists, live music presented by Buddy Guy's Legends, and a ...
|Chicago Gay Men's Chorus to present 'Unimaginable' on May 20-22 2022-05-11|
- The Chicago Gay Men's Chorus will present the spring show "CGMC: Unimaginable," on May 20-22 at three Chicagoland venues. The performances will take place Friday, May 20, at 8 p.m. at Chicago's Athenaeum Center for Thought ...
|PrideArts to present cabaret nights in May and June 2022-04-27|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO — PrideArts Artistic Director Jay Espano (he/him/his) today announced a series of four Monday night cabaret performances by Chicago area musical theater and cabaret artists at the Pride Arts ...
|The Other Art Fair returns to the Loop 2022-04-25|
- The Other Art Fair returned to Chicago April 21-24 at Fulton Market, 1215 W. Fulton Market, for collectors, artists and art lovers with original works of art from more than 100 emerging artists. Just a few ...
|'It Was Vulgar and It Was Beautiful' explores art collective's part in HIV/AIDS activism 2022-04-23|
- In Jack Lowery's book, It Was Vulgar and It Was Beautiful: How AIDS Activists Used Art to Fight a Pandemic, the historian shares how the art collective Gran Fury utilized community-made propaganda to address the HIV/AIDS ...
|Gay artist couple among Mayor's Medal of Honor recipients 2022-04-21|
-- From a press release - CHICAGOToday, Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot announced the winners of the 2022 Mayor's Medal of Honor. The Mayor's Medal of Honor is an annual award presented by the Mayor to honorees who have demonstrated a passionate commitment ...
|ONE Archives running exhibit of vintage LGBTQ+ activist posters 2022-04-21|
- Los Angeles-based ONE Archives Foundation announced "Days of Rage, a web-based multimedia exhibit featuring newly digitized LGBTQ+ activist posters from the ONE National Gay and Lesbian Archives at the USC Libraries. The exhibit, which has launched ...
|Chicago Circus & Performing Arts Festival on April 21-24 2022-04-20|
- The multidisciplinary event Chicago Circus & Performing Arts Festival, produced by Yes Ma'am Circus, will run April 21-24 at The Den Theatre, 1331 N. Milwaukee Ave. Performances from 10 Chicago-based companies include traditional circus acts, avant-ga ...
|Gay Games 2023 announces updated sports list 2022-04-19|
- Gay Games 11 Hong Kong announced an all-new line-up of 23 sports for the November 2023 Gamesa global multisport, arts and culture event founded in 1982 that celebrates diversity and inclusion. Co-hosted with Guadalajara, Mexico, the ...