WINDY CITY TIMES
||LGBTQ activists raising money to help trans trailblazer Gavin Grimm
This article shared 1040 times since Thu Dec 30, 2021
LGBTQ advocates and allies are raising money to help transgender trailblazer Gavin Grimm remain housed after a health crisis that left him unable to work, Metro Weekly reported.
Grimmwhose name has become synonymous with transgender rightsrose to prominence after he sued his local Virginia school district for barring him from the boys' restroom due to his gender identity. The Gloucester County School Board eventually settled the lawsuit for $1.3 million, with the money going to cover attorneys' fees and other legal costs that Grimm incurred in bringing the lawsuit.
In May, Grimm, who has been diagnosed with epilepsy, experienced three grand mal seizures that caused him to lose consciousness and left him on a ventilator in a medically induced coma for five days. His health has improved, but he remains unable to work.
Supporters of Grimm have launched a GoFundMe page to help Grimm remain housed. The money from the GoFundMe will be placed in a trust, managed by an executor named by Grimm, who will help pay for Grimm's expenses.
The GoFundMe page has raised more than $40,000. It is at www.gofundme.com/f/gavin-grimms-housing-fund.
This article shared 1040 times since Thu Dec 30, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|In a first, gold-medal Olympian comes out as transgender 2022-08-17|
- During the Aug. 16 opening address of the international LGBTQ+ rugby competition The Bingham Cup, taking place in the Canadian capital of Ottawa through Aug. 21, Ellia Green came out as transand is the first Olympian ...
|Chicago Digital Equity Fund and Tech Desk launched 2022-08-15|
- GET Citiesan initiative focused on accelerating the leadership and influence of women, trans and non-binary people in techhas partnered with Gumbo Media and DePaul University's Women in Entrepreneurship Institute to ...
|Chicago trans rapper Lila Star releases new song 2022-08-14|
Video below - Chicago trans rapper Lila Star (most known for her guest vocals on Shea Coulee's 2017 single "Cocky") has released the music video for her latest single, "Sex Appeal," which may strike some as a tribute to ...
|WORLD Vietnam's pro-LGBTQ+ move, Grindr kidnappings, Taiwan event 2022-08-14|
Video below - Vietnam took a major step forward in the recognition of LGBTQ+ rights with the country's Ministry of Health stating that being gay, bisexual or transgender is not a disease and urging medical practitioners to end discrimination ...
|NATIONAL: Conn. candidate, trans study, D.C. attacks, Palm Springs Pride 2022-08-14|
- LGBTQ Victory Fund-endorsed candidate Erick Russell won the Democratic primary election for Connecticut state treasurer, according to an organizational press release. With this victory, he is on track to become the first out Black LGBTQ+ person ...
|Five Worth Finding: Movie short, 'Kaepernick,' ice cream and more 2022-08-14|
- —Fraud: Non-binary director Zen Zadih Pace's debut narrative short, Fraud—starring trans actress Dana Aliya Levinson (STARZ's American Gods) and Babak Tafti (Showtime's Super Pumped)—was selected for ...
|NATIONAL Okla. schools, Tenn. lawsuit, political items, Mich. library 2022-08-07|
Video below - Oklahoma public schools have started requiring students from kindergarten to college to complete "biological sex affidavits" if they want to compete in school sports, in accordance with a state law that took effect earlier this year, ...
|Angelica Ross to be first trans lead in Broadway's 'Chicago' 2022-08-04|
- Trans actors have made all sorts of impressions on Broadway, but former Chicagoan Angelica Ross has set a precedent. Next month, the leading role of fame-hungry murderess Roxie Hart will be played by Angelica Ross. Ross ...
|Judge: W. Va.'s Medicaid program must cover transgender care 2022-08-04|
- In West Virginia, U.S. District Judge Chuck Chambers ruled that the state's Medicaid program must provide coverage for gender-confirming care for transgender residents, ABC News reported. Chambers made the ruling on Aug. 2 in a lawsuit ...
|Attorneys general file brief in Indiana trans case 2022-08-04|
- A coalition of 22 attorneys general, including Illinois Attorney General Kwame Raoul and New York counterpart Letitia James, filed an amicus brief in the case of A.C. v. Metropolitan School District of Martinsville opposing the school ...
|HRC commends White House Monkeypox (MPV) Coordinator appointments; calls for greater federal response 2022-08-02|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON - Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, commended the Biden Administration for appointing Robert Fenton and ...
|Brave Space Alliance plans to raise salaries, urges partner agencies to follow suit 2022-08-01|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO Aug.1, 2022 Brave Space Alliance, the South Side LGBTQ+ Center, announced a sweeping new plan to increase the organization's base salary to $43,000 for entry-level staff, equivalent to an hourly wage of $20.67/hr. ...
|Vallas speaks at event of group known for anti-LGBTQ+ views [UPDATE] 2022-08-01|
- Former Chicago Public Schools CEO and current mayoral candidate Paul Vallas spoke at a fundraiser for Awake Illinois—a group that has been criticized for its transphobic and homophobic rhetoric, The Chicago Reader reported. The group hosted ...
|WORLD Cuban referendum, Gay Games, Berlin attacks, Indian trans men 2022-07-31|
- Cuba's parliament announced that the country will hold a referendum on the legalization of same-sex marriage and surrogate parenthood, Deutsche Welle reported. The referendum on the new family law is scheduled to be held Sunday, Sept. ...
|Show about trans+ women models to debut Aug. 5 on Here TV 2022-07-29|
- The Here TV docuseries Road to the Runway—which focuses on trans+ women models—will debut Friday, Aug. 5. The series profiles the 20 hopefuls competing in this year's annual Slay Model search. Cameras follow the women to ...