||Kanye West, Rev. Sharpton, Christina Saralegui among 'Top 10 Straight Advocates'
This article shared 2962 times since Tue Nov 1, 2005
Celebrating National Coming Out Day, Oct. 11, the Human Rights Campaign Foundation released a list of the top 10 straight advocates for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender equality. Included are actress Kristin Chenoweth, Rev. Al Sharpton, Salt Lake City Mayor Rocky Anderson, actress Felicity Huffman, talk show host Cristina Saralegui, Rev. Norm Kansfield, Peter Hams, IBM executive Ted Childs, hip-hop artist Kanye West, and Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Zapatero.
'Being out and open about our lives is not just for gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender people, but for everyone who cares about equality,' said HRC President Joe Solmonese. 'These 10 leaders for fairness represent millions of family members, people of faith, friends and co-workers who are helping make America fairer and more equal.' The list emphasizes this year's Coming Out Project theme 'Talk About It,' which encourages fair-minded people to talk openly and honestly about their lives and the inequalities gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender Americans face under law.
'We need to tear down the barriers that separate us,' said Rev. Al Sharpton. 'I am honored not only to be named on this list, but also to stand with my gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender brothers and sisters to end hatred and intolerance wherever they live.'
Among the honorees:
Rev. Sharpton—a national voice for justice and equality—has long been a supporter of equal rights for GLBT Americans, and, as a candidate for President in 2004, brought those views to the national stage.
As one of Telemundo's best-loved talk show hosts, Saralegui is one of the most important voices for GLBT equality in America's Spanish-speaking community.
Grammy Award-winning artist West has spoken out against homophobia in the hip-hop community after learning that his cousin is gay.
Spanish Prime Minister Zapatero made equality for GLBT Spaniards a cornerstone of his legislative goals and made Spain the fourth country to offer same-sex couples equality through marriage.
Complete bios and photos are available online at www.hrc.org/top_ten_sa.
This article shared 2962 times since Tue Nov 1, 2005
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|HRC encourages LGBTQ+ people to sign up for health insurance plans 2021-11-29|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON, D.C. The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) is encouraging LGBTQ+ people to sign up for health insurance as the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid's Services (CMS) kicks off its LGBTQ+ Theme Week (Nov. 28 - ...
|HHS acts to prevent discrimination, strengthen civil rights 2021-11-19|
--From a press release - Washington D.C. — Today, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) through the Administration for Children and Families (ACF) and Office for Civil Rights (OCR), announced actions to further ...
|Thailand, Switzerland go in opposite directions regarding marriage equality 2021-11-18|
- Thailand's Constitutional Court ruled a law that defines marriage as between a man and a woman in the country is constitutional, The Washington Blade reported. The Foundation for Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Rights and Justice, ...
|Bishops approve paper that falls short of denying Communion to pro-choice Biden 2021-11-18|
--From a press release - On Nov. 17, the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops voted overwhelmingly to approve a document that fell short of refusing Holy Communion to President Joe Biden or others who support abortion rights—something conservatives in the Church ...
|LGBTQ+ equality in nine Illinois municipalities detailed in Human Rights Campaign Index 2021-11-18|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Foundation, the educational arm of the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, in partnership with The ...
|Rebirth Garments, Roscoe's among HRC/Showtime grant recipients 2021-11-16|
- The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) and Showtime announced the 20 recipients of "Queer to Stay: An LGBTQ+ Business Preservation Initiative" to support and uplift small businesses that focus on LGBTQ+ people of color, women and the ...
|National groups to NCAA: include protections for trans athletes in new rules 2021-11-12|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON, D.C. — Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) and Athlete Ally sent a letter to National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) President Mark Emmert and NCAA governance calling on the ...
|Russia labels LGBTQ+ group 'foreign agents' 2021-11-09|
- On Nov. 8, Russia declared the main group defending LGBTQ+ rights a "foreign agent" as part of a continuing crackdown on media outlets and rights groups, The Moscow Times reported. The Russian LGBT Network, which was ...
|Human Rights Campaign Foundation releases data on COVID-19 & LGBTQ+ health equity 2021-11-09|
--From a Human Rights Campaign Foundation press release - WASHINGTON Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Foundation, the educational arm of the Human Rights Campaign, the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) civil rights organization ...
|WORLD Indian commission, queer royals, MTV, Putin, attack in Jamaica 2021-10-24|
- India's National Medical Commission has ordered publishers and medical schools to edit their textbooks and curricula to exclude discriminatory and unscientific portrayals of LGBTI people, according to Human Rights Watch. ...
|lllinois Holocaust Museum hosts talk on Stonewall and the LGBTQ-rights movement 2021-10-24|
- On Oct. 17, Skokie's Illinois Holocaust Museum and Education Center hosted a "Legacy of Stonewall and the LGBTQ Rights Movement" panel discussion to kick off its latest exhibit, "Rise Up: Stonewall and the LGBTQ Rights Movement." ...
|Activists speak about former Chicago Mayor Harold Washington's LGBTQ legacy 2021-10-14|
by Max Lubbers - LGBTQ+ advocates reflected on former Chicago Mayor Harold Washington's legacy at Center on Halsted Oct. 13, discussing his role in the city's Human Rights Ordinance and outreach to the LGBTQ+ community. A display of 1980s Windy ...
|HRC marks National Coming Out Day with new resource for youth 2021-10-11|
- On Oct. 11, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) is commemorating the 33rd annual National Coming Out Day (NCOD) by announcing the release of a new resource, "Online Communities and LGBTQ+ Youth." "National Coming Out Day exists ...
|BUSINESS Black council, HRCF release first-ever 'Black in Fashion' index 2021-10-04|
- The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Foundation and The Black in Fashion Council, an organization that promotes and advances Black representation in the fashion and beauty industry, released their inaugural Black in Fashion Index report, which measures ...
|WORLD Movie items, tennis survey, German politics, Thai court 2021-10-03|
- Kenya's Film Censorship Board (KFCB) banned I Am Samuel, claiming the documentary—which has a gay protagonist—contravenes Kenyan values, Human Rights Watch noted. In a statement, the KFCB denounced the film ...