WINDY CITY TIMES
||Jussie Smollett appeals hoax-related ruling
This article shared 1333 times since Thu Mar 2, 2023
Nearly a year after being sentenced to five months in jail for disorderly conduct related to an attack he stagedalthough he was released on bond just days lateractor Jussie Smollett has filed his appeal.
The Chicago Tribune reported that Smollett claimed his indictment by a special prosecutor was invalid because of double-jeopardy concerns and bias by Cook County Judge James Linn.
In December 2021, a jury convicted the onetime co-star of the Fox show Empire of paying two acquaintances to fake a racist and homophobic attack on him in January 2019 to get exposure and boost his career.
Smollett's attorney, Nenye Uche, alleged in the filing that Smollett's rights against being re-prosecuted for the same crime were violated when special prosecutor Dan Webb filed disorderly conduct charges against him, even though Cook County State's Attorney Kim Foxx's office had agreed to dismiss nearly identical claims in 2020.
This article shared 1333 times since Thu Mar 2, 2023
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Baldwin leads 22 colleagues in calling on FDA to end discriminatory blood donation policy 2023-03-24|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON, D.C. — U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin (D-WI) has headed up a group of 22 colleagues in sending a letter to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Commissioner Dr. Robert Califf expressing support for the agency's ...
|Iowa, Georgia ban medical treatment for trans minors 2023-03-24|
- Two more states have enacted laws that prohibit medical treatment for transgender minors. On March 22, Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds signed two bills into law that affect transgender minors in the state, NBC News reported. Senate ...
|Illinois House passes legislation allowing gender-neutral multiple-occupancy restrooms 2023-03-24|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Advocates celebrated passage by the Illinois House of legislation that will reduce barriers for businesses serving their communities and customers by allowing for the adoption of gender-neutral multiple-occupancy ...
|Utah bans conversion therapy 2023-03-23|
- On March 22, Republican Utah Gov. Spencer Cox signed a bill that bans licensed professionals from practicing conversion therapythe discredited practice that attempts to turn LGBTQ+ people heterosexualon minors, Q ...
|Uganda bans people from identifying as LGBTQ+ 2023-03-22|
- On March 21, Uganda's parliament passed a law making it illegal to identify as LGBTQ+, Reuters reported. The development hands authorities broad powers to target LGBTQ+ Ugandans who already face legal discrimination and mob violence. In ...
|Kentucky lawmakers pass anti-trans youth bill; governor plans to veto measure 2023-03-20|
- In Kentucky, Republican lawmakers passed a bill that bans minors from receiving gender-affirming care, lets educators refuse to refer to trans students by their preferred pronouns and would not allow schools to discuss sexual orientation or ...
|WORLD German bishops, trans woman's death, Hungary, human-rights event 2023-03-18|
- Germany's Catholic bishops voted (38 to nine, with 11 abstentions) to adopt formal ceremonies for the blessing of same-sex relationships, defying the Vatican and testing church unity on what has become one of the most contentious ...
|HRC settles race-based lawsuit with former president 2023-03-16|
- Human Rights Campaign (HRC) and its Black former president, Alphonso David, settled a lawsuit in which David had alleged racial discrimination in his firing, Reuters reported. In September 2021, David was fired after New York state ...
|Arkansas governor signs anti-trans medical malpractice bill 2023-03-15|
- Republican Arkansas Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders signed into law a measure that makes it easier to sue providers of gender-affirming care for children, ABC News reported. This move, involving a law that will take effect this ...
|WORLD Zero Discrimination Day, African countries, facility damaged, travel items 2023-03-10|
- On Zero Discrimination Day this year (March 1), under the theme "Save lives: Decriminalize," UNAIDS showed how the decriminalization of key populations and people living with HIV saves lives and helps advance the end of the ...
|Minn. governor signs order protecting gender-affirming healthcare 2023-03-10|
- At a time when so many political officials seem to be backing anti-LGBTQ+ measures, Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz is doing just the opposite. On March 8, Walz signed an executive order protecting the rights of LGBTQ+ ...
|Non-binary Okla. state rep censured after incident; LGBTQ+ groups respond 2023-03-08|
- On March 7, the Oklahoma House voted to censure (or publicly express strong disapproval of) Democratic non-binary state Rep. Mauree Turner for allegedly harboring a fugitive following a recent confrontation ...
|WORLD Kenyan group, Alan Emtage, trans anchor, Hershey campaign 2023-03-04|
- The Kenyan Supreme Court allowed an LGBTQI+-rights group to register as a non-governmental organization, The Washington Blade reported. Ten years ago, Eric Gitari, the former executive director of the National Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission ...
|Coalition of tradeswomen, teachers, civil rights groups applaud end of Trump-Era rule allowing discrimination 2023-03-03|
--From a press release - Washington, D.C. — On March 1, the United States Department of Labor's (DOL) Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) officially rescinded a Trump-era rule that vastly expanded the ability ...
|LGBTQ+ groups criticize Tenn. bill that bans access to medical care for trans youth 2023-03-03|
--From a press release - NASHVILLE — On March 2, Tennessee Governor Bill Lee signed into law HB1/SB1, a bill that prohibits transgender-related healthcare in Tennessee for people under the age of 18. The bill is set to take effect on ...
|WORLD German bishops, trans woman's death, Hungary, human-rights event|
|SHOWBIZ 'Black Adam,' Cyndi Lauper, Sondheim, Oscars, OutFest|
|NATIONAL Ritchie Torres, N.J. towns, Karine Jean-Pierre, Tennessee items|
|Navratilova says she is cancer-free|
|UpRising Bakery and Cafe could soon close due to revenue losses, ongoing anti-LGBTQ+ harassment|