WINDY CITY TIMES
||Indiana students sue over gay-straight club's alleged treatment
This article shared 1307 times since Fri Sep 24, 2021
In Pendleton, Indiana, a group of Pendleton Heights High School students has filed a lawsuit against the school and South Madison Community School Corporation over allegations that the school has been treating its Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) club unfairly, The Indianapolis Star reported.
The students have claimed that the school has not allowed it to advertise for members or raise funds on campus the same way other groups can.
The American Civil Liberties Union of Indiana filed the lawsuit in federal court on behalf of the GSA members, claiming that the school has imposed undue, unequal burdens on the student group. In doing so, the suit alleges, the school is violating the students' First Amendment right.
South Madison Community Schools Superintendent Mark Hall said he hadn't yet received the complaint and did not have a comment.
The full article is at www.indystar.com/story/news/education/2021/09/22/pendleton-heights-high-school-students-gay-straight-alliance-lgbtq-aclu/5817007001/ .
This article shared 1307 times since Fri Sep 24, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|NATIONAL Biden's proposal, VP Harris, Elizabeth Taylor, outbreak, candidates 2022-06-26|
- Lambda Legal issued a press release lauding the Biden administration for issuing proposed regulations that will help protect LGBTQI+ youth against unlawful discrimination. The proposed rules, issued by the U.S. ...
|Biden's historic executive order strengthens protections for the 2M LGBT youth in U.S. 2022-06-16|
-- From a press release - Today, President Biden signed an executive order that includes actions to protect LGBTQI+ youth from conversion therapy, expand LGBTQI+ access to comprehensive health care, support LGBTQI+ youth in schools, end ...
|DCFS enhances training for foster parents, staff; expands resources, housing options for LGBTQI+ youth 2022-06-14|
-- From a press release - Illinois DCFS enhances training for foster parents and staff, expands resources and housing options to support LGBTQI+ youth in care during Pride Month CHICAGO — June is Pride Month and the Illinois Department of Children and ...
|PASSAGES Transgender icon Mama Gloria dies at 76 2022-06-14|
-- From a press release - Chicago transgender icon and activist Gloria Allen, who founded and ran a charm school for homeless trans youth and was the subject of the award-winning documentary "Mama Gloria" and the critically acclaimed play "Charm," has died ...
|Texas court issues emergency stop to Gov. Abbott's anti-trans youth directive 2022-06-10|
-- From a press release - AUSTIN, Texas The Travis County District Court granted a temporary restraining order on Friday to block the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) from investigating PFLAG families ...
|300K youth in the U.S. identify as transgender 2022-06-10|
-- From a press release - New estimates show 300,000 youth ages 13-17 identify as transgender in the US About 1.3 million adults—0.5% of the adult US population—identify as transgender Approximately 1.6 million people ages 13 ...
|PFLAG National, ACLU, Lambda Legal file pro-trans youth lawsuit against Texas governor 2022-06-09|
- The American Civil Liberties Union, Lambda Legal and the ACLU of Texas, along with Texas-based law firm Baker Botts LLP, filed a new lawsuit in Texas state court on behalf of PFLAG National and three Texas families on June 8, per a press release. ...
|Howard Brown Health workers announce impending nurses' union membership 2022-06-06|
- Non-nurse employees from every Howard Brown Health, Broadway Youth Center and Brown Elephant announced their intentions to join the union that Howard Brown Health nurses previously established in 2019 at a rainy press conference June 6 ...
|NATIONAL Mysterious death, Tennesee law, lesbians of color, Guam 2022-06-05|
- Gay bilingual mental-health counselor Julio Ramirez died in April after he fell unconscious in a taxi following a night out at gay bars in Hell's Kitchenand then his bank accounts were allegedly drained days later, leaving ...
|About Face to run immersive comedy about climate-change activism 2022-05-27|
- About Face Theatre brings its 27th season to a close with a world premiere comedy created by and starring the About Face Youth Theatre ensemble. Gayme Changers will run June 18-24 at The Den Theater, 1331 ...
|Trevor Project: 45% of LGBTQ youth considered suicide in the past year 2022-05-26|
- The Trevor Project recently released its 2022 survey on the mental health of LGBTQ+ youth. According to an introduction from Trevor Project CEO & Executive Director Amit Paley, the survey demonstrates that rates of suicidal thoughts ...
|Batavia public school rally to call for equity in education 2022-05-24|
-- From an Equality Illinois press release - BPS Parents for Equity and Justice and Batavia Public School (BPS) students to host a rally and call to action in response to ongoing inequities in the treatment of all marginalized groups and the district's reluctance ...
|NATIONAL Idaho groups, Clay Aiken, Radio Milwaukee, Louisville school 2022-05-22|
- In northern Idaho, two groups with different agendas plan to hold events on the same day (June 11) at Coeur d'Alene City Parkand both organizations have issued statements, according to the Bonner County Daily Bee. The ...
|GLSEN holds Respect Awards in New York 2022-05-17|
- On May 16, the pro-LGBTQ+ education organization GLSEN held its New York Respect Awards in Gotham Hall. At its first in-person Respect Awards in three years, the organization introduced new Executive Director Melanie Willingham-Jaggers in their ...
|Judge blocks part of Alabama law criminalizing care for trans youth 2022-05-14|
- On May 13, U.S. District Judge Liles Burke blocked part of an Alabama law that made it a felony to prescribe gender-affirming puberty blockers and hormones to transgender minors, USA Today reported. ...