WINDY CITY TIMES
||Ignite: GLBTQ youth news
Schools Ban Gay-Safe-Zone Signs
This article shared 3189 times since Wed Jan 22, 2003
As reported in the Chicago Sun-Times, Rich Township High School in Olympia Fields, Ill., after pressure from a few parents, voted Jan. 13 to remove multicolored triangles signifying safe zones for gay and lesbian students from more than 100 classrooms doors.
The district had been accused by some parents of promoting homosexuality and discriminating against students who are not gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender by allowing the triangles.
A language arts teacher at Rich East in Park Forest said, 'They [students] are very disappointed. I think one of the things to work through for a few kids is, does this mean they support is no longer there.' He said he is trying to convince his students that it is. He also said the 20 members of the GSA are selling pins with the triangle symbol, which 'then becomes a personal symbol.'
This article shared 3189 times since Wed Jan 22, 2003
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Sexual-misconduct report findings force Chicago charter-school leader to leave 2022-08-04|
- A Chicago Public Schools inspector general's report substantiating allegations of inappropriate sexual conduct with a student forced Tim King, the head of a prominent charter school network, to resign recently, WBEZ reported. King, who founded Urban ...
|Utah school district removes LGBTQ+ books from libraries 2022-08-02|
- A Utah school district removed 52 books from its library shelves due to parent complaints mainly concerning LGBTQ+-focused material, LGBTQ Nation noted. A spokesperson for Alpine School District tells The Salt Lake Tribune that the district ...
|NATIONAL Lesbian activist dies, school report, Robin Roberts, Joe Rogan 2022-07-31|
- Rita Addessaa civil-rights activist and the first executive director of the Philadelphia Lesbian and Gay Task Force (PLGTF, later the Pennsylvania Lesbian and Gay Task Force)passed away July 9 at Penn Hospice in Philadelphia at age ...
|Florida school districts sued over 'Don't Say Gay' law 2022-07-28|
- Florida teens and their families, along with advocacy groups, have sued to block a law that restricts classroom discussions of sexual orientation and gender identity, NBC News reported. The Parental Rights in Education lawdubbed the "Don't ...
|Queer teen artist/activist talks Girl Scout Gold Award, LGBTQ+ inclusion, future plans 2022-07-23|
- When Molly Kasch became a Brownie at age 8, she never dreamed she would earn the prestigious Girl Scout Gold Award 10 years later for her "Scouting the Rainbow" project. The award "is the highest achievement ...
|Texas court stops state from investigating trans youth, families 2022-07-09|
- The Travis County District Court entered a second injunction against the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) and Commissioner Masters, barring them from implementing the agency's rule expanding ...
|Hulu's 'Love, Victor' draws to a proud conclusion with season three 2022-07-02|
- Love is in the air for Pride Monthas the television show Love, Victor concludes with its third season. The gay rom-com Love, Simon came out in 2018 and inspired the Love, Victor Hulu series two years ...
|Florida's 'Don't Say Gay' law takes effect 2022-07-02|
- Florida's Parental Rights in Education lawwhich some have nicknamed the "Don't Say Gay" lawwent into effect July 1, and some of the state's public school districts have begun rolling out new policies to limit LGBTQ issues ...
|NATIONAL Biden's proposal, VP Harris, Elizabeth Taylor, outbreak, candidates 2022-06-26|
- Lambda Legal issued a press release lauding the Biden administration for issuing proposed regulations that will help protect LGBTQI+ youth against unlawful discrimination. The proposed rules, issued by the U.S. ...
|Biden's historic executive order strengthens protections for the 2M LGBT youth in U.S. 2022-06-16|
-- From a press release - Today, President Biden signed an executive order that includes actions to protect LGBTQI+ youth from conversion therapy, expand LGBTQI+ access to comprehensive health care, support LGBTQI+ youth in schools, end ...
|DCFS enhances training for foster parents, staff; expands resources, housing options for LGBTQI+ youth 2022-06-14|
-- From a press release - Illinois DCFS enhances training for foster parents and staff, expands resources and housing options to support LGBTQI+ youth in care during Pride Month CHICAGO — June is Pride Month and the Illinois Department of Children and ...
|PASSAGES Transgender icon Mama Gloria dies at 76 2022-06-14|
-- From a press release - Chicago transgender icon and activist Gloria Allen, who founded and ran a charm school for homeless trans youth and was the subject of the award-winning documentary "Mama Gloria" and the critically acclaimed play "Charm," has died ...
|Texas court issues emergency stop to Gov. Abbott's anti-trans youth directive 2022-06-10|
-- From a press release - AUSTIN, Texas The Travis County District Court granted a temporary restraining order on Friday to block the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) from investigating PFLAG families ...
|300K youth in the U.S. identify as transgender 2022-06-10|
-- From a press release - New estimates show 300,000 youth ages 13-17 identify as transgender in the US About 1.3 million adults—0.5% of the adult US population—identify as transgender Approximately 1.6 million people ages 13 ...
|PFLAG National, ACLU, Lambda Legal file pro-trans youth lawsuit against Texas governor 2022-06-09|
- The American Civil Liberties Union, Lambda Legal and the ACLU of Texas, along with Texas-based law firm Baker Botts LLP, filed a new lawsuit in Texas state court on behalf of PFLAG National and three Texas families on June 8, per a press release. ...