WINDY CITY TIMES
||Home of long-term NCLR Legal Director Shannon Minter devastated by Texas tornado, NCLR comments on outpouring of support
--From a press release
This article shared 1205 times since Fri Mar 3, 2023
SAN FRANCISCO, CA Yesterday during violent storms in several southern states, the home of long-time NCLR Legal Director Shannon Minter and his Robin was destroyed by a powerful tornado in rural Texas. The house also served as a refuge for the family of cats and dogs the Minters have taken in and nurtured over the years many of whom were well known to the Twitter community through Shannon's regular documenting of their lives on social media.
NCLR's Director of Communications and spokesperson Christopher Vasquez issued the following statement on behalf of the staff of the organization:
"Our hearts at NCLR go out to our legal director Shannon Minter, one of the most inspiring and passionate legal minds in the LGBTQ movement. Right now our thoughts are with him, his wife Robin, and their expansive family of beloved cats and dogs that have provided much-needed light and levity to Twitter through some particularly tough years.
We are heartened to see the vast and generous outpouring of support for the Minter family in the last 24 hours through a barrage of messages and two separate GoFundMe campaigns. Shannon is one of the bravest and most resilient individuals we know and we are positive he will come out of this temporary setback stronger than ever, ready to continue fighting for our community."
A friend of Shannon's has set up a GoFundMe campaign to help raise funds to assist him and Robin take care of their family of much-loved pets during this challenging time.
The National Center for Lesbian Rights (NCLR) is a national legal organization committed to advancing the human and civil rights of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer community through litigation, public policy advocacy, and public education. Since its founding 45 years ago, NCLR has maintained a longstanding commitment to racial and economic justice and the most underrepresented in the LGBTQ community. www.nclrights.org .
This article shared 1205 times since Fri Mar 3, 2023
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Affinity renews Burning Bowl tradition 2023-03-23|
- On the afternoon of March 19, Affinity Community Services held Burning Bowl 2023 Renewal: And Still We Rise at the Pavilion at the Dan Ryan Woods. ...
|Mayoral candidate forum centers BIPOC LGBTQ+ issues, Vallas declines to participate 2023-03-23|
- Chicago mayoral candidate Brandon Johnson participated in a March 22 virtual LGBTQ+-focused forum co-hosted by Affinity Community Services (Affinity), Association of Latinos/as/xs Motivating Action (ALMA) Chicago ...
|Center on Halsted to Honor Sen. Tammy Baldwin April 15, Human First Gala at The Geraghty 2023-03-23|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Center on Halsted is pleased to announce that its inaugural Trailblazer Award will be presented to Senator Tammy Baldwin at its annual Human First Gala being held the evening of Saturday, April 15, in ...
|NATIONAL Ritchie Torres, N.J. towns, Karine Jean-Pierre, Tennessee items 2023-03-18|
- New York Congressman Ritchie Torres has talked about his own struggle with depression and the importance of mental health in the wake of U.S. Sen. John Fetterman (D-Pa.)'s recent hospitalization for clinical depression, The Washington Blade ...
|'Spring Fling' at The Baton on Thursday, April 13 to benefit Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame 2023-03-17|
--From a press release - The Baton Show Lounge (4713 North Broadway, Chicago) has been entertaining folks for 54 years and will host a special "Spring Fling", an all-new show to benefit the Chicago LGBT of Fame on Thursday, April 13 ...
|Johnson and Vallas to take part in LGBTQ+-focused candidate forum March 22 2023-03-17|
- Affinity Community Services (Affinity), Association of Latinos/as/xs Motivating Action (ALMA) Chicago, Brave Space Alliance, Chicago Black Gay Men's Caucus, Life is Work and Task Force Chicago are co-hosting a virtual ...
|HRC settles race-based lawsuit with former president 2023-03-16|
- Human Rights Campaign (HRC) and its Black former president, Alphonso David, settled a lawsuit in which David had alleged racial discrimination in his firing, Reuters reported. In September 2021, David was fired after New York state ...
|Lambda Literary announces award finalists 2023-03-16|
--From a press release - Lambda Literary has announced the finalists in 25 categories for the 35th Annual Lambda Literary Awards. The finalists were selected by a panel of over 65 literary professionals from more than 1,350 book submissions. These selections ...
|31ST annual Elton John AIDS Foundation Academy Awards Viewing Party raises more than $9 million 2023-03-13|
--From a press release - LOS ANGELES, March 13, 2023 — The 31st annual Elton John AIDS Foundation Academy Awards® Viewing Party hosted by Sir Elton John and David Furnish, with special guests Eric McCormack and Michaela Jae Rodriguez, raised more ...
|Valle leaving longtime Center on Halsted CEO role 2023-03-10|
- Longtime Center on Halsted CEO Modesto Tico Valle is leaving his post, according to organization officials. Board Chair Victor Ravago announced Valle's departure in a March 10 statement: "I share with you today that Modesto Tico ...
|Steppenwolf Theatre Company's 2023 Gala May 13 at The Old Post Office 2023-03-06|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (March 6, 2023) — The Steppenwolf Ensemble and Board of Trustees are pleased to host Steppenwolf 2023 Galaan unforgettable evening celebrating 47 years of powerful and thought-provoking storytelling. Emceed ...
|PFLAG holds 50th anniversary celebration gala, honors Tom Daley with George Takei Advocate Award 2023-03-05|
--From a press release - NEW YORK (Mar. 4, 2023) Last night, iconic LGBTQ+ community organization PFLAG celebrated 50 years of leading with love at a spectacular gala event hosted by comedian and actress Amber Ruffin at New York's Marriott ...
|LGBTQ+ Victory Fund launches new brand; celebrates LGBTQ+ progress, joy and resilience 2023-03-01|
Video below. From a press release - Washington, DC — Today LGBTQ+ Victory Fund launched its new name, new logo and new visual identity. This new brand honors LGBTQ+ progress since the organization's inception in 1991, celebrates LGBTQ+ people's joy and resilience in ...
|Gay race-car driver Zach Herrin on industry, historic partnership with Lambda Legal 2023-02-26|
- NASCAR driver Zach Herrin has announced a partnership with Lambda Legal, a national organization aimed at achieving full recognition of the civil rights of LGBTQ+ people and everyone living with HIV through litigation and public advocacy. ...
|More LGBTQ PoC report barriers to academic achievement than white LGBTQ peers 2023-02-23|
--From a Williams Institute press release - A new study from the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law, conducted in collaboration with the Point Foundation, the nation's largest LGBTQ scholarship nonprofit, finds more than twice as many LGBTQ POC as white LGBTQ ...
|WORLD German bishops, trans woman's death, Hungary, human-rights event|
|SHOWBIZ 'Black Adam,' Cyndi Lauper, Sondheim, Oscars, OutFest|
|NATIONAL Ritchie Torres, N.J. towns, Karine Jean-Pierre, Tennessee items|
|Navratilova says she is cancer-free|
|UpRising Bakery and Cafe could soon close due to revenue losses, ongoing anti-LGBTQ+ harassment|