WINDY CITY TIMES
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Disability Culture Leadership Initiative launches online hub with Chicago artists
--From a 3Arts press release - CHICAGO, IL (Jan. 15, 2021)— 3Arts, the Chicago-based nonprofit grantmaking organization, announced today the launch of the Disability Culture Leadership Initiative (DCLI), featuring a new online platform created to elevate ...
|Jonathan David Katz awarded Andrew W. Mellon grant 2021-01-15|
--From a Wrightwood 659 press release - (CHICAGO, IL— Jan. 15, 2021) Wrightwood 659 congratulates our friend, curator, and collaborator, Jonathan David Katz on the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation's announcement of a $5,000,000 award for the proposal"Dispossessions ...
|Tribute event to honor Chicago's first Cultural Historian Jan. 28 2021-01-14|
--From a City of Chicago press release - CHICAGO, IL Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot and the Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE) today announced a tribute event to honor Chicago's first Cultural Historian, Tim Samuelson. Samuelson recently retired after 3 ...
|Howard Brown developing new center in Northalsted area
- Howard Brown Health has chosen Inland National Development Company, LLC to develop its newest healthcare center in Chicago's Northalsted neighborhood (formerly known as Boystown), according to REJournals. There are plans ...
|Two-Spirit/LGBTQAI Native American Powwow plans a week of virtual events 2021-01-13|
--From a press release - Bay Area American Indian Two-Spirits (BAAITS) exists to restore and recover the role of Two-Spirit people within the American Indian/First Nations community by creating a forum for the spiritual, cultural ...
|GLSEN executive director stepping down
- After a dozen years leading the national organization GLSEN—which aims to create a better world for LGBTQ+ students—Executive Director Eliza Byard is stepping down March 1. Deputy Executive Director Melanie ...
|Mayor Lightfoot, DCASE announce $2.5M in arts grants 2021-01-11|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot and the Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE) today announced $2.5 million in funding opportunities for Chicago artists and arts organizations. A new "Artist Response Program," ...
|Affinity's Virtual Burning Bowl on Jan. 9
- Affinity Community Serviceswhich serves the needs of the Black LGBTQ+ community, with a particular focus on Black womenwill hold its annual Burning Bowl ceremony virtually on Saturday, Jan. 9. At past Burning Bowls, attendees were asked ...
|Equality Illinois gala's silent auction now open
- Equality Illinois announced that its 30th-Anniversary Gala silent auction is now open. The silent auction will remain open until the end of the gala on Saturday, Feb. 6, at 8 p.m. CT. Winning bidders' credit cards ...
|NATIONAL Marriage proposal, Creating Change, mural erased, 'Queer Santa' 2021-01-05|
- A COVID-19 vaccine appointment at a Canton, South Dakota, hospital turned into a marriage proposal for one healthcare couple, CNN.com noted. Robbie Vargas-Cortes, 31, a paramedic and EMS supervisor, was scheduled to get his vaccination on ...
|Gerber/Hart Library awarded $100K Mellon Grant, seeks Development Coordinator 2020-12-28|
--From a press release - Gerber/Hart Library and Archives has been awarded a $100,000 Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Grant for Small Community Archives. This is the largest grant G/H has ever received. The grant will provide funding for a two-year Development ...
|Chicago History Museum partners with ALMA in new 'OUT at CHM' series
- The Chicago History Museum announced a new partnership with the local LGBTQ+ group Association of Latinos/as/x Motivating Action (ALMA). This partnership is the culmination of a longstanding collaboration with OUT at CHM and will highlight the ...
|AIDS Garden projected for fall 2021 completion 2020-12-22|
- State Rep. Yoni Pizer convened a virtual meeting Dec. 21 to discuss the progress of the AIDS Garden Chicago. The long-planned site is "destined to become a true Chicago landmark and destination," said Pizer as he ...
|Lighthouse Foundation to host Black Queer Pride: Winter Edition 2020-12-22|
--From a press release - Lighthouse Foundation will host Chicago's Virtual Black Queer Pride: Winter Edition with three days of programming by eleven local Black Queer artists. The virtual event will take begin on Facebook live, Friday, ...
|Affinity seeks new executive director
- Affinity Community Servicesa Black- and queer-led organization on Chicago's South Side dedicated to social justice in Black LGBTQ+ communitiesis seeking a new executive director. The executive director will provide visionary ...