WINDY CITY TIMES
||HRW film series will feature the movie 'Kiki'
by Carrie Maxwell, Windy City Times
This article shared 552 times since Wed Mar 8, 2017
Human Rights Watch ( HRW ) Chicago 2017 Film Series, in partnership with Black Cinema House, will be showcasing the documentary Kiki on Friday, March 10, at 7 p.m. at the Stony Island Arts Bank.
Kiki is one of many films chosen by HRW to screen at its film-festival events in more than 20 cities worldwide. Each city selects the film( s ) they will screen from the approximately 40 films chosen by festival staffers. Movies are chosen equally on their artistic merit and human-rights content.
The documentary follows seven people from the kiki scene, an LGBTQ youth artistic activist subculture, for four years as they prepare and perform at kiki ballroom competitions. The film also delves into their lives outside of performing.
Twiggy Pucci Garcon ( co-writer and one of the subjects of the film ) and Swedish filmmaker Sara JordenÃ¶ ( co-writer and director ) joined forces to make this documentary come to fruition.
An official selection in the U.S. documentary competition at this year's Sundance Film Festival and winner of the Teddy Award for best documentary and essay film at Berlinale ( Berlin International Film Festival ), Kiki is slated to be shown at other film festivals worldwide in the coming months.
Kiki has been featured in Vanity Fair, The Atlantic, Los Angeles Times, The New York Times, The Guardian and The Hollywood Reporter, among other publications.
A panel discussion will follow the screening with Garcon, Human Rights Watch Interim Advocacy Director Tico Almeida, community organizer and transgender activist Monica James and academic/activist/performer Julian K. Glover, with Out Magazine Editor-at-Large Zach Stafford moderating.
"Human Rights Watch Chicago is thrilled to host this irresistibly vibrant film, especially in this dark time for human rights," HRW Chicago Development Officer Rachel Shrock told Windy City Times. "The Kiki community demands political power and happiness, and as they speak their truth to power, they inspire everyone to do the same."
Stony Island Arts Bank is at 6760 S. Stony Island Ave. Seating for this free event is limited. Attendees are encourage to arrive early. Doors open at 6:30 p.m.
For more on the film, visit KikiMovie.com .
This article shared 552 times since Wed Mar 8, 2017
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Being BeBe documents life of first RuPaul's Drag Race winner 2023-03-27|
- On the evening of March 9, the Block Museum of Art at Northwestern University presented a screening of Emily Branham's documentary Being BeBe, the story of Nea Marshall Kudi Ngwa, a.k.a. Benet, the first winner of ...
|WORLD Venezuela code, Oxfam, Bosnia items, 'Brokeback,' Pope Francis 2023-03-25|
- Venezuela's Supreme Court annulled a controversial part of the military justice code that had criminalized same-sex relations within the armed forces, the outlet Punch noted. The court annulled the provision, which had provided for a penalty ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Joy Ride,' Cynthia Erivo, David Bowie, March Madness, Kevin Bacon 2023-03-25|
Video below - The first trailer for the upcoming comedy Joy Ride has been released, Out noted. The movie stars Ashley Park, queer Oscar nominee Stephanie Hsu (Everything Everywhere All At Once), bisexual comedian Sherry Cola (Good Trouble) and ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Black Adam,' Cyndi Lauper, Sondheim, Oscars, OutFest 2023-03-18|
- Cultured Magazine recently profiled Quintessa Swindellwho became the first out, non-binary actor to play a lead superhero in the DC universe when they portrayed Cyclone in the 2022 movie Black Adam. Swindell grew up in Virginia ...
|SHOWBIZ Little Richard, Indigo Girls, Rodriguez's honor, dance film, Pedro Pascal 2023-03-10|
Video below - Produced by Bungalow Media + Entertainment for CNN Films and HBO Max, in association with Rolling Stone Films, director Lisa Cortes' Sundance opening-night documentary Little Richard: I Am Everything will debut in theaters and on VOD ...
|Billy Masters: Raunchier Uncoupled on the rebound with Showtime 2023-03-06|
- "I never liked when she did this in concerts either. I don't like when females are overly sexualized in art. It degrades and objectivy's [sic] women in a way that's not healthy." TJ Jackson on reports ...
|SHOWBIZ Wanda Sykes, Jonas Brothers, 'Queen of Versailles,' 'Bloodshed' 2023-03-04|
Adam Lambert video below - Award-winning comedian Wanda Sykes' new comedy special, I'm An Entertainer, will premiere globally on Netflix on May 23, a press release announced. The special, directed by Linda Mendoza, was filmed in early February 2023 at Philadelphia's ...
|Queerties honor LGBTQ+ creatives at Feb. 28 event 2023-03-01|
- The 11th Annual Queerties Awardswhich recognizes LGBTQ+ creators, tastemakers, storytellers and newsmakerstook place Feb. 28 at Eden Sunset in Los Angeles. Hosted by drag comedian Bianca Del Rio, the ceremony ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Bob's Burgers,' P!nk, sports items, Billy Porter, Ben Platt 2023-02-24|
- Animated sitcom Bob's Burgers marked another major milestone with its 250th episode. Gay actor/comedian/musician John Roberts (who voices Linda Belcher) talked with Queerty and said that one of the most important lessons he's learned from ...
|'Everything' sweeps The Society of LGBTQ Entertainment Critics 14th Dorian Film Awards 2023-02-23|
--From a press release - GALECA,The Society of LGBTQ Entertainment Critics, has named A24's fantastical and affecting family relationship drama Everything Everywhere All at Once 2022's Film of the Yearand then somein its 14th Dorian ...
|At 'FIRST(ISH)' Sight: Producer Ashley Flowers speaks on 'honest' representation 2023-02-22|
- Ashley Flowersâ€”a producer, co-creator and actor in the short film First(ish) Date, now in pre-productionâ€”wears many creative hats. She also has an extensive resume working with stage and film props as well; Flowers has been working ...
|SHOWBIZ Black queer films, Janet Jackson, Paramore, WNBA, GALECA contest 2023-02-19|
- Queerty ran a piece on 10 films that celebrate Black queer love. Some of them include The Skinny (with Jussie Smollett), Dee Rees' movie Pariah, the Oscar-winning Moonlight, the Marlon Riggs classic Tongues Untied, Brother to ...
|Goran Stolevski grows up fast with Of an Age 2023-02-14|
- Openly gay filmmaker Goran Stolevski is a triple threat: He handled directing, writing and editing chores for his new project, Of an Age, which Focus Features is now distributing. The film is already taking home trophies ...
|SHOWBIZ Isaac Mizrahi, Viola Davis, Laura Jane Grace, Elton John, GLAAD 2023-02-11|
- On Sherri Shepherd's talk show, entertainer/fashion designer Isaac Mizrahi said he'd love for out actor Dan Levy to portray him in a potential biopic based on Mizrahi's memoir, I.M., The Wrap noted. "Dan Levy, OK," Mizrahi ...
|SHOWBIZ Jerrod Carmichael, Alan Cumming, Andre Leon Talley, AIDS drama 2023-02-05|
- Openly gay stand-up comic and recent Golden Globes host Jerrod Carmichael is set to star in a comedy documentary series for HBO, according to Entertainment Weekly. The yet-untitled series will center on Carmichael's personal life, following ...