WINDY CITY TIMES
||Gerber/Hart Library Marks World AIDS Day
This article shared 3810 times since Wed Nov 29, 2006
Gerber/Hart Library's exhibition, 'Remembering Lives, Fighting A Plague: 25 Years of AIDS' will be open Friday, Dec. 1, World AIDS Day, noon until 8 p.m. The exhibition covers the history of the AIDS pandemic, both in Chicago and nationwide. The exhibition features material from Howard Brown Health Center, Chicago House, and Test Positive Aware, as well as other organizations that responded to the AIDS crisis in Chicago. Activist Danny Sotomayor, Thing Magazine founder Robert Ford, and Dr. Ron Sable, all of whom died of AIDS, are also featured in the exhibition. The original manuscript for Jeff Hagedorn's One, regarded as the first AIDS play ever written, is also on display.
Gerber/Hart Library is at 1127 W. Granville, 773-381-8030.
This article shared 3810 times since Wed Nov 29, 2006
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|AIDS Run & Walk Chicago 2023 to draw thousands to Soldier Field on Sept. 30 2023-09-09|
- The AIDS Run & Walk Chicago returns to Chicago's Soldier Field on Saturday, Sept. 30 to help create equity and justice across Chicagoland and raise awareness and funds for individuals who are living with or vulnerable ...
|Chicago Dancers United raises more than $365K at Dance for Life 2023-08-29|
- Chicago Dancers United (CDU)which supports the health and wellness of Chicago's professional dance communitywelcomed 1,600 people to the 32nd annual Dance for Life on Aug. 19 at Auditorium Theatre, per ...
|New guidelines increase HIV antiretroviral options 2023-08-26|
- The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) is expanding its recommendation for HIV antiretrovirals because more options are available on the market, according to MedScape. The guidance, published Aug. 22 in JAMA, updates the group's prev ...
|'Show up, Show out!' 32nd Annual AIDS Run & Walk Chicago on Sept. 30 2023-08-07|
--From a press release - (Chicago, IL) Registration is now open for the 32nd annual AIDS Run & Walk Chicago (ARWC) presented by AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) on Saturday, September 30 at Soldier Field. "Show up, Show Out" is this year's ...
|Chicago House indulges in Champagne Wrapture 2023-08-06|
- Chicago House's annual fundraiser, Champagne Wrapture, returned to the Windy City the evening of Aug. 3. The event was held at 600 N. Fairbanks Court on the rooftop deck and featured a silent auction, free-flowing champagne, ...
|LGBTQ+ cycling club builds both community and awareness 2023-08-01|
By Charlie Kolodziej - For the second summer in a row, Cruise Chi, Chicago's new LGBTQ+ cycling club, has been fostering a sense of community while supporting queer- and trans-advocacy. The group, led by co-founders Alton Deon and Shai Garcia, ...
|Gilead prevails in HIV antitrust suit brought by consumers 2023-07-01|
- On June 30, pharmaceutical giant Gilead Sciences triumphed over consumers in a $3.6-billion class-action suit that claimed the company deliberately manipulated the market in order to profit off of its expensive HIV treatment drugs, Courthouse News ...
|Lakeside Pride Music Ensembles first out HIV+ board chair works to grow visibility 2023-06-28|
--From a press release - Chicago, Illinois — Lakeside Pride Music Ensembles, Chicago's premiere music groups for the LGBTQ+ community members and allies, is currently under the direction of its first out HIV+ board chair, Brandon Strawn. Strawn has been a ...
|PASSAGES Artist Stash Kybartas 2023-06-17|
- Stashu Kybartas, a video artist who also worked in installation and performance art, passed away May 17 at his home in Chicago. Robert Colucci, his husband of 48 years, was with him at the time of ...
|NATIONAL Google Doodle, drag laureate, Nebraska bill, NYC AIDS Walk 2023-05-26|
- D.C. poet/activist/journalist Ivy Young passed away at age 75, per a press release. Among other things, Young worked at Chicago's VISTA; the Center for Black Education and Drum and Spear Book Store in D.C.; the ...
|TaskForce Chicago's ED talks organization, AIDS stigma and queerness 2023-05-25|
- Among the many organizations helping Chicago youths is TaskForce Prevention & Community Services. The West Side-based organization helps hundreds of youths by being committed to addressing the HIV/STI-related needs of ...
|HB 1286 would allow gender-inclusive multi-occupancy restrooms, Chicago groups respond 2023-05-19|
--From a press release - Statement from AIDS Foundation Chicago, Equality Illinois, and Pride Action Tank regarding HB 1286 to allow gender-inclusive multi-occupancy restrooms: We applaud the Illinois Senate for passing HB 1286 and urge the Illinois House to act expeditiously ...
|Belting for Life returns for an 8th edition 2023-05-18|
- On May 15, Jeff Award-winning director and activist Christopher Pazdernik celebrated his birthday with the eighth edition of Belting for Life, his annual Chicago-style theatrical concert and fundraiser for AIDS ...
|Chicago House welcomes spring with 'Secret Garden' event 2023-05-12|
- On May 7, Chicago House presented its annual spring fashion brunch, this year titled The Secret Garden, in the Winter Green Ballroom of the Harold Washington Library. The annual event, which some now regard as the ...
|Howard Brown responds to FDA's relaxation of blood-donation guidelines 2023-05-12|
- Howard Brown Health has responded to The Food and Drug Administration (FDA)'s elimination of restrictions that had previously barred many blood donations by gay and bisexual men. The FDA said it will recommend a series of ...