||French hit I'm a Good Little Devil showing on Valentine's Day
From a press release
This article shared 1113 times since Sun Jan 21, 2018
CHICAGO, ILUptown Underground celebrates Valentine's Day 2018 with a one-night only showing of the French hit I'm a Good Little Devil at the venue's Kiss Kiss Cabaret.
I'm a Good Little Devil, directed and produced by French star Jean-Christophe Born, takes audiences into the belle Ã©poque to follow the life of Gaby Deslys, an emancipated woman from Marseille who became the most famous Music Hall performer in the early 20th century. Travel with Gaby from her early days in Paris at the Moulin Rouge, La Cigalle, and Alhambra, to London and New York. In 1910, after many love affairs, one with the King of Portugal Manuel de Bragance, she appeared in a Broadway show with a young American dancer, Harry Pilcer. The two of them became and remained one of Broadway's most revered dance teams, both in New York and London, until her untimely death. One of Gaby Deslys's last revues was "Drop Them" at the Casino de Paris. It was in this show that she created her famous descent down a grand stair case and bringing the first jazz band ever heard in Paris. The spectacle ( performed in English ) is a three-person show filled with song, dance, and extravagance.
"I have always been fascinated by the legendary glories of the past, all the more when it is related to my city, Marseilles," says Jean-Christophe Born. "When I discovered Gaby Deslys, I immediately felt what an exceptional artist she must have been, even if she seems to be forgotten by so many. Well before her time and far away from the social conventions, she magnificently ushered in the modern woman of the 20th century. I plunged myself passionately into her life's story and worked through her biographies, searching documentation in the archives of the Bibliothèque Nationale de France in Paris, on the web through the Library of Congres - Washington D.C. and by meeting historians like Mr. Echinard ( a specialist on Marseilles ), It was a long-term, passionate job spanning several years.
I'm a Good Little Devil features Jean-Christophe Born ( tenor ), Perrine Cabassud ( soprano ) and Mark Nadler, the 2015 Broadway World Award for Performer of the Year ( piano ).
I'm a Good Little Devil plays February 14, 2018 at 8pm.
This Valentine's Day, catch an exclusive one night only show featuring stars from France & Broadway. I'm a Good Little Devil! is an outrageously entertaining, colorful, and historical telling of the life of Gaby Deslys, an emancipated performer from Marseille who became the most famous music hall star of the early 20th century, produced by and starring Jean-Christophe Born, also featuring Broadway star Mark Nadler, and the gorgeous Perrine Cabassud. Travel with Gaby from her early days at the Moulin Rouge to London and New York, through love affairs with the King of Portugal and American dancer Harry Pilcer, as she conquers everything from operettas to ragtime, then introduces New York jazz to Paris. Having played in Marseille & New York, and booked for Paris in 2018, I'm a Good Little Devil! has romance, extravagance, song and dance, and a cast that will leave you in tears of joy.
TICKETS $25 - $30.
WHO Directed and produced by Jean-Christophe Born
FEATURING Jean-Christophe Born, Mark Nadler, Perrine Cabassud
WHEN Wednesday, February 14, 2018, at 8pm
WHERE Uptown Underground, 4707 N. Broadway Chicago, IL 60640
CONTACT uptownunderground.net, ( 773 ) 867-1946, firstname.lastname@example.org
This article shared 1113 times since Sun Jan 21, 2018
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Reeling 39th Chicago LGBTQ+ Internat'l Film Fest in-person, virtual in September 2021-07-28|
--From a press release - (July 28, 2021 — Chicago, IL) Chicago Filmmakers, Gilead and AARP present The 39th annual Reeling: The Chicago LGBTQ+ International Film Festival. Founded in 1981, the festival is the second longest-running film festival of its kind, ...
|'Filmmaking on the South Side' on Aug. 21 2021-07-28|
- On Aug. 21, 7-9:30 p.m., Chicago Humanities Festival and local partners from Sisters in Cinema, South Side Home Movie Project and the Chicago South Side Film Festival will host a conversation about the development of community-based ...
|SHOWBIZ Script contest, LGBTQ film, Lady Gaga, Showtime, out sprinter 2021-07-25|
- GLAAD and The Black List—the writer-centric entity whose work includes its annual list, screenplay marketplace, writer labs, and film and television productions—announced plans for The 2021 GLAAD List, the third ...
|Chicago Filmmakers awards $100,000 to local social injustice digital media projects 2021-07-20|
--From a press release - (July 20, 2021 — Chicago, IL) Chicago Filmmakers is pleased to announce that the Chicago Digital Media Production Fund (CDMPF) has awarded a total of $100,000 in grants to eight Chicago artists for the production of ...
|Billy Masters 2021-07-19|
- "No excusesI messed up. I'm a big sports fan. I'm like the guy at the end of the game who misses a free throw or a kick."Spike Lee explains why he prematurely announced the winner of ...
|SHOWBIZ Ben Whishaw, non-binary actor, Cardi B, Obama, 'Grease' prequel 2021-07-18|
- Out actor Ben Whishaw stars in the film Surge, which will debut Sept. 24 and On Demand, a press release announced. Whishaw portrays Joseph, who is trapped in a soulless job, living a life devoid of ...
|GLAAD Studio Responsibility Index shows more LGBTQ character screen time, not so for trans 2021-07-15|
--From a press release - Los Angeles, CA - Thursday, July 15, 2021 - GLAAD, the world's largest LGBTQ media advocacy organization, today released its ninth annual Studio Responsibility Index (SRI), a study that maps the quantity, quality, and diversity of ...
|MOVIES 'In the Heights' available as soon as July 30 2021-07-14|
- The 2021 musical film In the Heights will arrive on 4K, Blu-ray and DVD on Aug. 31. However, it will arrive for Premium Digital Ownership at home on July 30. The film is directed by Jon M. Chu (Crazy Rich Asians) ...
|Local film about Latinx community and COVID to screen July 22 2021-07-12|
- On Thursday, July 22, at 6 p.m., the Chicago History Museum, 1601 N. Clark St., will host a screening of the film Seguimos Aqui. This documentary tells four unique stories of the impact of COVID on ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Pray Away,' film contest, LGBTQ book, musicians, 'Star Trek' 2021-07-11|
- The new Netflix Original Documentary Pray Away, from executive producers Ryan Murphy and Jason Blum, will make its global launch on the platform Aug. 3, a press release noted. In the film, former leaders of the ...
|AIDS ballet movie coming to Chicago on July 16 2021-07-07|
- The movie Can You Bring It: Bill T. Jones and D-Man in the Waters will open Friday, July 16, in virtual cinemas in Chicago at Gene Siskel Film Center and Music Box Theatre. "Can You Bring It"co-directed by Rosalynde LeBlanc and ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Hedwig,' Oscars, Demi Lovato, GLAAD, Stevie Nicks 2021-07-04|
- Following 2019's sold-out, three-night engagement at The Town Hall in New York City (and several postponements in 2020), Hedwig and the Angry Inch co-creators John Cameron Mitchell and Stephen Trask are returning with a rock spectacle ...
|MOVIES 'Truman & Tennessee' opening July 2 at Music Box
- The film Truman & Tennessee: An Intimate Conversation will open Friday, July 2, in physical and virtual theater in Chicago at Music Box Theatre. Actors Zachary Quinto and Jim Parsons make voiceover contributions in the film ...
|MUSIC 'Miley Cyrus Presents Stand by You' airing June 25
- Peacock announced that the concert event Miley Cyrus Presents Stand by You will stream Friday, June 25 in celebration of Pride Month. The hour-long concert event, filmed in Nashville, will feature multi-platinum recording artist, songwriter and ...
|Sisters in Cinema presents Sister Outsider Juneteenth Celebration 2021-06-16|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL- Sisters in Cinema, a Chicago-based 501(c)3 recently in the news for breaking ground on their new Media Arts Center, Is inviting all to participate in their inaugural Sister Outsider: Juneteenth Celebration on Saturday, June ...