WINDY CITY TIMES
||Former Chicago alderman sentenced to 13 months in prison
This article shared 1089 times since Fri Mar 18, 2022
On March 17, U.S. District Judge John Kness sentenced former Chicago Ald. Ricardo Munoz to 13 months in prison for wire fraud and money laundering, The Chicago Tribune reported.
Munoz stole tens of thousands of dollars from a political campaign fund he controlled and spent the amount on personal items such as iPhones, hotel rooms, skydiving excursions and sporting events.
Kness rejected arguments by Munoz's attorney that probation was more appropriate since sending crooked politicians to prison has apparently failed to deter others.
In arguing for a year in prison, Assistant U.S. Attorney Morris Pasqual said Munoz "violated the public trust repeatedly" by circumventing campaign finance law designed to keep the process transparent.
This article shared 1089 times since Fri Mar 18, 2022
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Jeffrey Epstein cohort Ghislaine Maxwell sentenced to 20 years 2022-06-28|
- On June 28, Ghislaine Maxwell was sentenced to 20 years in federal prison for carrying out a years-long scheme with her longtime confidante (and former boyfriend) Jeffrey Epstein to groom and sexually abuse underage girls, media ...
|Mass shooting takes place at Norwegian gay club 2022-06-25|
- Oslo's annual Pride parade was canceled June 25 following a deadly shooting at a gay bar that Norwegian police are investigating as a possible terrorist attack, CNN reported. Two people were killed and eight others taken ...
|Murdered man's brother continues search for information about 2004 killing 2022-06-24|
Video below - A Rockford man is continuing to search for clues about the circumstances surrounding his brother's 2004 murder in Chicago's Lake View neighborhood. Kevin Clewer was found murdered in his apartment on the 3400 block of North ...
|Pride Flag arsons raise alarm, church leaders say 2022-06-19|
-- From a Metropolitan Community Church press release - The intentional burning of two LGBT Pride flags in Baltimore earlier this week resulted in three people being seriously injured and significant damage to multiple homes, and leaders of the Metropolitan Community Church (MCC) are expressing ...
|Autopsy shows manner of death in Elise Malary's death is undetermined 2022-06-17|
- The Cook County medical examiner's officer revealed that trans activist Elise Malary died from drowning but that the manner of death could not be determined, The Chicago Sun-Times reported. Malary's body was found in Lake Michigan ...
|Batavia police looking into Pride-flag thefts 2022-06-16|
- In Batavia, four Pride flags displayed on homes were stolen overnight on June 15, causing damage, according to ABC 7 Chicago. Authorities said flagpoles and mounts, which displayed the flags, were broken. Two incidents happened in ...
|Man shot outside Lake View nightspot 2022-06-14|
- No one is yet in custody after a shooting along the 3300 block of North Halsted Street during the early morning of June 13. The story was first reported by CWBChicago on June 13. The incident ...
|Spacey charged with sexual assault; UK hearing set for June 16 2022-06-13|
- British authorities have charged actor Kevin Spacey with four counts of sexual assault and a further offense, Deadline reported. The actor has also been charged with causing a person to "engage in penetrative sexual activity without ...
|Idaho police arrest dozens with white nationalist ties near Pride event 2022-06-12|
- In Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, police officers arrested 31 people on June 11 who are believed to be affiliated with the white nationalist group Patriot Front after they were seen gathering near a Pride parade, CNN reported. ...
|States might make having kids at drag events a felony; LGBTQ+ groups respond 2022-06-11|
Video below - Florida state Rep. Anthony Sabatini wants to make it a felony for any parent to bring a child to a drag event, WFLA reported. MYSA also noted that Republican Texas state Rep. Bryan Slaton announced on ...
|NATIONAL Trans survey, Gays Against Guns, TIME 100, candidates, crimes 2022-05-29|
- Transgender women experiencing homelessness, food insecurity, poor health services and low pay are less likely to receive necessary HIV prevention support or treatment, according to a Centers for Disease Control (CDC) study based on responses from ...
|Jussie Smollett back to work; BET+ plans to show his directorial debut 2022-05-27|
- Embattled former Empire actor Jussie Smollett is back to work after being convicted of faking a hate crime in Chicago earlier this year, ABC 7 Chicago reported. Smollett, 39, makes his directorial debut in the movie ...
|Kevin Spacey charged with sexual assault in the UK 2022-05-26|
- In the United Kingdom, embattled actor Kevin Spacey has been charged with four counts of sexual assault and one count of "causing a person to engage in penetrative sexual activity without consent," Variety reported. The decision ...
|Governor Pritzker, Lt. Governor Stratton comment on Texas tragedy 2022-05-25|
-- From a press release - Chicago In the wake of a mass shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, that killed at least 19 students and two adults, Governor JB Pritzker and Lt. Governor Juliana Stratton released the following ...
|NBA coach/former Chicago Bull pleads for gun control after Texas shootings 2022-05-25|
- Golden State Warriors coach Steve Kerr discussed something besides basketball in his pregame news conference heading into Game 4 of the Western Conference finals against the Dallas Mavericks on Many 24, ESPN noted. "Since we left ...