WINDY CITY TIMES
||Five dead after mass shooting at Colorado LGBTQ+ nightclub
by Matt Simonette
This article shared 1089 times since Sun Nov 20, 2022
At least five people are dead and 18 people were injured after a mass shooting took place at a Colorado Springs LGBTQ+ nightclub late the evening of Nov. 19, according to multiple reports.
An unidentified suspect is in custody and is being treated for injuries.
The incident took place at Club Q, a popular Colorado Springs LGBTQ+ nightspot.
Police were called at about 11:57 a.m. Police later said that the alleged assailant was 22-year-old Anderson Lee Aldrich; the motive has not yet been publicly identified. A long rifle was allegedly used to commit the attacks.
On a message posted to its Facebook page Nov. 20, Club Q management said: "Club Q is devastated by the senseless attack on our community. Our [prayers] and thoughts are with all the victims and their families and friends. We thank the quick actions of heroic customers who subdued the gunman and ended this hate attack."
At a Nov. 20 press conference, Colorado Springs Police Chief Adrian Vasquez explained that the gunman entered Club Q and immediately began shooting, WYFF-TV reported. Two Club Q patrons eventually stopped the assailant.
"We owe them a great deal of thanks," Vasquez said.
This story will be updated as more information becomes available. WYFF-TV's article is at tinyurl.com/2p9c83h5.
This article shared 1089 times since Sun Nov 20, 2022
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|WORLD Pope Francis, non-binary minor, athlete dies at 35, Taiwan 2023-01-29|
- Pope Francis made headlines when he told the Associated Press on Jan. 24 that "being homosexual is not a crime," although he also described being gay as sinful, Gay City News noted. The pontiff called on ...
|NATIONAL Missing student, Utah bill, Atlanta Pride, crime items, Castro bar 2023-01-29|
- A New York City law student has been missing for weeksand his brother said his last known location was The Q, a gay bar in Manhattan's Hell's Kitchen neighborhood, NBC News reported. Jordan Taylor, 29, a ...
|Equality Illinois responds to violence, murder of Black and Brown trans people on the south side 2023-01-25|
--From a press release - Statement by Myles Brady Davis, Director of Communications at Equality Illinois, the state's civil rights organization for LGBTQ+ people, regarding the violences and murders of Black and Brown trans people on the south side of Chicago: ...
|Pope says being gay no crime, cites anti-LGBTQ laws in 70 countries. LGBTQ leaders respond 2023-01-25|
--From press releases - (January 25, 2023) — Pope Francis called laws that criminalize same-sex relationships "unjust," stating that "being homosexual is not a crime" in an interview with the Associated Press today. The Pope also called for the Roman ...
|Rogers Park's R Public House's door destroyed by homophobic vandal 2023-01-18|
- The lesbian-owned restaurant and bar R Public House, 1508 W. Jarvis Ave., was targeted by a hammer-wielding man yelling anti-LGBTQ slurs at about 5:40 p.m. during happy hour on Monday, Jan. 16. Owners (and married couple) ...
|LGBTs nine times more likely than non-LGBTe to be victims of violent hate crimes 2022-12-21|
-- From a Williams Institute press release - About one out of 10 violent victimizations against LGBT people are hate crimes, according to a new study by the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law. LGBT people are nine times more likely than non-LGBT ...
|NATIONAL 'Queer to Stay,' gay pol dies, drag-show attacks, 'Don't Say Gay' lawmaker 2022-12-11|
- The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) and Showtime announced the 25 recipients of "Queer to Stay: An LGBTQ+ Business Preservation Initiative" to support and uplift small businesses that focus on LGBTQ+ people of color, women and the trans+ community ...
|NATIONAL $1M donation, church departures, Harvey Milk, abortions, Grindr 2022-11-27|
- In Ohio, Dayton-based insurance company CareSource is donating $1 million to United Church Homes to support the development of a senior living facility at the site of the former Longfellow School that will also aim at ...
|The Northalsted Business Alliance makes statement on Club Q Shooting in Colorado Springs 2022-11-23|
-- From a press release - The Northalsted Business Alliance shares its thoughts and prayers with our LGBTQ+ family in Colorado suffering from yet another senseless gun tragedy. We mourn the five lives lost and stand with those injured and traumatized ...
|OnePulse releases statement on Club Q mass shooting 2022-11-21|
-- From a press release - Orlando, FL — onePULSE Foundation, the not-for-profit established following the June 12, 2016 tragedy to honor and preserve the legacy of those killed and create a sanctuary of hope, today released the following statement: "We are ...
|Chicagoans pay tribute to Club Q victims 2022-11-21|
- Community advocates and political officials were among those who gathered for a candlelight vigil outside Nobody's Darling, 1744 W. Balmoral Ave., the evening of Nov. 20 to remember the LGBTQ+ individuals killed and injured the previous ...
|Equality Illinois on the Club Q shooting 2022-11-20|
-- From a press release - Statement from Brian C. Johnson, CEO of Equality Illinois, the state's LGBTQ+ civil rights organization, on the Club Q shooting: On a day already marked by sadness, the LGBTQ+ community woke up to the tragic news ...
|Lambda Legal reacts to shooting at Club Q in Colorado Springs 2022-11-20|
-- From a press release - New York, November 20, 2022 — Lambda Legal CEO Kevin Jennings issued the following statement about the mass shooting at Club Q, the LGBTQ+ nightclub in Colorado Springs, Colorado: "We mourn with the LGBTQ+ community in ...
|GLAAD responds to mass shooting in Colorado Springs 2022-11-20|
-- From a press release - (New York, NY - November 20, 2022) - GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, is responding to the mass shooting at Club Q in Colorado Springs that killed ...
|HRC responds to fatal shooting at LGBTQ+ nightclub in Colorado Springs 2022-11-20|
-- From a press release - Colorado Springs, CO Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, responded to media reports of a fatal shooting at Club Q in Colo ...