WINDY CITY TIMES
||"Fight Song" charity cabaret concert benefits local groups
Special to the online edition of Windy City Times
by Vern Hester
This article shared 2761 times since Tue Feb 2, 2016
On Jan. 24, the inaugural "Fight Song" charity cabaret concert took place at Uptown Underground in front of a rowdy audience.
The eventthe brainchild of philanthropic businessman Jacob Leathermannot only combined two of his careers ( live entertainment and professional styling ) but also showcased a who's who of theatrical and musical talent. The event, which Leatherman conceived after challenging a devastating personal setback, was a benefit for the Special Olympics, About Face Theater and LGBTQ Fight Against Homelessness. Apart from the fundraising aspects, the show was a celebration of struggle, friendshipand high-end female footwear.
The concert portion of the evening got an unexpected start when Jelani Remy appeared via Skype from New York. Currently appearing in the revival of The Lion King on Broadway, Remy found himself snowed in, but this did not prevent him from opening the show as planned.
What came next was an outpouring of song that included Darrian Ford ( singing his self-penned "A Bag of Rocks" ), Randy Chism ( "True Colors" ), Julie Buck ( "Over the Rainbow" ) and Donica Lynn ( "Who You Are" ). The concert was loaded with surprise duets as Chism joined Jess Godwin for "Let It Be," Branden James performed with Godwin on "The Prayer," and Lynn and Ford shared "Lovely Day." A big surprise for the evening came when Rashada Dawan appeared, Ruby Keeler-style, to fill the spot of Remy near the close of the night.
With all the talk of struggle and challenge, the night combined a great deal of levity and humor. There was a raffle ( which led to a particularly joyous addition of the show ) as well as co-hosts Leatherman and Cathy Nathan's ongoing high heeled competition. To set the mood for the evening before the concert, audience members were encouraged to try on any number of custom-made high heeled pumps and have their pictures taken.
This article shared 2761 times since Tue Feb 2, 2016
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Kokandy Productions announces 2023 Season 2023-03-22|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (March 22, 2023) — Kokandy Productions is thrilled to announce its 2023 season, including two fully produced musicals, plus plans for the return of the Chicago Musical Theatre Festival. This summer, Kokandy will dive into ...
|Kendrick Lamar, Billie Eilish, Diplo and more to headline Lollapalooza on Aug. 3-6 2023-03-21|
--From a press release - (Chicago—March 21, 2023) Lollapalooza has unveiled a powerhouse lineup for the 2023 edition, featuring first-time headliners Kendrick Lamar and Billie Eilish along with Red Hot Chili Peppers, ODESZA, Lana Del Rey, Karol G, who will make ...
|Opera Preview: Life of gay World War II hero Alan Turing transformed into a world-premiere opera 2023-03-17|
- It has taken a decade for The Life and Death(s) of Alan Turing to grow from an idea into a full- fledged opera. Chicago Opera Theater stages the world premiere of composer Justine F. Chen and ...
|Lyric Opera of Chicago announces its 2023-24 season 2023-03-14|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (3/14/2023) — Lyric Opera of Chicago, led by General Director, President & CEO Anthony Freud and Music Director Enrique Mazzola, today announces the company's 2023/24 Season, which takes audiences on a global tour of opera ...
|House Musical, Coming of Age in the Age of House, coming to Hoover-Leppen Theatre 2023-03-14|
--From a press release - Campsongs Productions presents the world premiere of House Musical - Coming of Age in the Age of House, with book by Marcus Waller, music by Scott Free (with Michael Foley) and lyrics by Scott Free and ...
|Mayor Lightfoot, DCASE announce dates for summer festivals and events 2023-03-13|
--From a press release - CHICAGOToday, Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot and the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE) announced the 2023 dates for some of the City of Chicago's most beloved summertime traditions. Returning festivals and events include ...
|SHOWBIZ Little Richard, Indigo Girls, Rodriguez's honor, dance film, Pedro Pascal 2023-03-10|
Video below - Produced by Bungalow Media + Entertainment for CNN Films and HBO Max, in association with Rolling Stone Films, director Lisa Cortes' Sundance opening-night documentary Little Richard: I Am Everything will debut in theaters and on VOD ...
|SHOWBIZ Wanda Sykes, Jonas Brothers, 'Queen of Versailles,' 'Bloodshed' 2023-03-04|
Adam Lambert video below - Award-winning comedian Wanda Sykes' new comedy special, I'm An Entertainer, will premiere globally on Netflix on May 23, a press release announced. The special, directed by Linda Mendoza, was filmed in early February 2023 at Philadelphia's ...
|Singer Zolita zips through Chicago on a whirlwind tour 2023-02-28|
- Zoe Montana Hoetzel has evolved into the multidimensional artist known as Zolita while cultivating a massive following. Her personality is multifaceted as well. She identifies as a lesbian, an activist and a witch, but she's also ...
|SHOWBIZ Black queer films, Janet Jackson, Paramore, WNBA, GALECA contest 2023-02-19|
- Queerty ran a piece on 10 films that celebrate Black queer love. Some of them include The Skinny (with Jussie Smollett), Dee Rees' movie Pariah, the Oscar-winning Moonlight, the Marlon Riggs classic Tongues Untied, Brother to ...
|Theater Review: Cabaret continues to reflect on our modern challenges 2023-02-14|
- Title: Cabaret. Book: Joe Masteroff; Score: John Kander & Fred Ebb. At: Porchlight Music Theatre at Ruth Page Center for the Arts, 1016 N. Dearborn St. Tickets: 773-777-9884 or www.PorchlightMusicTheatre.org; prices begin at $25. Runs through ...
|Goran Stolevski grows up fast with Of an Age 2023-02-14|
- Openly gay filmmaker Goran Stolevski is a triple threat: He handled directing, writing and editing chores for his new project, Of an Age, which Focus Features is now distributing. The film is already taking home trophies ...
|Queer songwriter donates $500K to Chicago Academy for the Arts 2023-02-13|
- Returning to the school that they said saved their life years ago and set them on a path to becoming one of the most celebrated activists and songwriters of the modern era, it was announced Feb. ...
|SHOWBIZ Isaac Mizrahi, Viola Davis, Laura Jane Grace, Elton John, GLAAD 2023-02-11|
- On Sherri Shepherd's talk show, entertainer/fashion designer Isaac Mizrahi said he'd love for out actor Dan Levy to portray him in a potential biopic based on Mizrahi's memoir, I.M., The Wrap noted. "Dan Levy, OK," Mizrahi ...
|Windy City Gay Chorus, Windy City Treble Quire present Our Common Thread: Songs of Love, Loss, Life 2023-02-10|
--From a press release - CHICAGO - The Windy City Gay Chorus and Windy City Treble Quire are excited to announce their upcoming 2023 spring concert, Our Common Thread: Songs of Love, Loss and Life, under the direction of Dr. Eric ...
|WORLD German bishops, trans woman's death, Hungary, human-rights event|
|SHOWBIZ 'Black Adam,' Cyndi Lauper, Sondheim, Oscars, OutFest|
|NATIONAL Ritchie Torres, N.J. towns, Karine Jean-Pierre, Tennessee items|
|UpRising Bakery and Cafe could soon close due to revenue losses, ongoing anti-LGBTQ+ harassment|
|Navratilova says she is cancer-free|