WINDY CITY TIMES
||Felicia, 36, and Miguel Barahona, 4, dead of hate violence, intimate partner violence
From a NCAVP press release
This article shared 461 times since Wed Jan 18, 2017
The National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs ( NCAVP ) has learned of the hate violence and intimate partner violence related homicides of Felicia Barahona, age 36, and Miguel Barahona, age 4.
According to media reports, Felicia and Miguel were found dead in their apartment on Monday, December 26th, 2016, and the child's father, Isaac Duran Infante, age 23, has been arrested in connection with the homicide. Infante allegedly told police that part of the motivation for the killing was that Felicia dressed their son in "girl's clothing" and referred to the child as a girl on Facebook. Felicia Barahona had been Duran's teacher at Dewitt Clinton High School, and she had initiated their relationship when he was underage.
"This double homicide is tragic on many levels, and while we don't wish to oversimplify the complex issues involved, we do wish to bring attention to the fact that gender-related bias and transphobia may have been motives in this case." said Shelby Chestnut, Director of Community Organizing and Public Advocacy at the New York City Anti-Violence Project. "This is an indication that transgender issues need to be at the forefront of anti-violence and family violence work."
According to NCAVP's most report, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and HIV-Affected Hate Violence in 2015, there were 24 reported hate violence homicides of LGBTQ people, a 20% increase from the 20 reported anti-LGBTQ homicides in 2014. NCAVP's report Intimate Partner Violence in Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, and HIV Affected Communities in 2015, documented thirteen IPV homicides in 2015. In 2015, people of color made up 10 ( 77% ) of the 13 reports of LGBTQ and HIV-affected IPV homicides. Six of the homicide victims were transgender women, four were cisgender men, and three were cisgender women.
NCAVP is a resource for anyone who experiences violence. For more information, or to locate an anti-violence program in your area, please contact us at email@example.com or visit us online. Join NCAVP in our efforts to prevent and respond to LGBTQ and HIV-affected violence. To learn more about our national advocacy and receive technical assistance or support, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
NCAVP works to prevent, respond to, and end all forms of violence against and within lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer ( LGBTQ ) and HIV-affected communities. NCAVP is a national coalition of local member programs and affiliate organizations who create systemic and social change. NCAVP is a program of the New York City Anti-Violence Project.
This article shared 461 times since Wed Jan 18, 2017
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Kentucky, Tennessee allowed to enforce anti-trans youth healthcare bans 2023-09-30|
- The Cincinnati, Ohio-based Sixth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has allowed Tennessee and Kentucky to enforce laws banning gender-affirming medical care for minors, such as puberty blockers, hormones and surgery, Reuters reported. The ruling is the ...
|GLAAD: GOP primary debate includes question on anti-LGBTQ+ violence, candidates duck 2023-09-28|
--From a press release - GLAAD: "Instead of addressing the critical issue of the safety and rights of all Americans, GOP primary candidates ignored the rise in violence and hateful rhetoric aimed at the LGBTQ community and our allies. Several chose ...
|WORLD African efforts, HIV in Amsterdam, Donatella Versace, 'The Queen in Me' 2023-09-28|
- A new attempt to prevent the recognition of and equal rights for LGBTQ+ people in Kenya through a constitutional amendment has been introduced in Parliament, The Washington Blade reported. The move was in response to this ...
|SHOWBIZ Outfest, Halo, 'Sex Education,' trans singer, 'Doctor Who' 2023-09-28|
- Outfest announced that it will honor Oscar winner Shirley MacLaine with the James Schamus Ally Award and trans actress Trace Lysette with the Trailblazer Award at the 2023 Legacy Awards presented by Genesis Motor America, per ...
|NATIONAL Bisexual politicians, DADT, NBJC awards, crimes, Buttigieg 2023-09-28|
- For Bi Visibility Day (Sept. 23), The Advocate ran a piece titled "35 Bisexual Politicians You Should Know." Just a few on the list include trans Montana state Rep. Zooey Zephyr, Nevada Assemblymember Cecelia Gonzalez, U.S. ...
|Gov. Gavin Newsom vetoes some LGBTQ+ measures and approves others 2023-09-26|
- For California's LGBTQ+ community, Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom has made things interesting over the last few days. Late last week, Newsom vetoed three progressive measures—including an unexpected rejection of a ...
|Lambda, TLDEF urge 4th Circuit to uphold rulings protecting gender-affirming care in NC, WV 2023-09-21|
--From a press release - (RICHMOND, VA - Thursday, Sept 21) — Today, a full panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit heard arguments in two cases involving equal access to health care for transgender people. State ...
|Arrests, fights punctuate battles across Canada over gender diversity in schools 2023-09-21|
- Arrests were reported in the Canadian cities of Ottawa, Halifax, Vancouver and Victoria, among others, on Sept. 20 as opposing groups clashed on how schools address issues of gender identity and how teachers refer to transgender ...
|WORLD French fund, mausoleum, Abrazo Grupal, Biden, Billie Jean King 2023-09-21|
- French Foreign Minister Catherine Colonna announced a fund to help promote the rights of LGBTQ+ people, French24 reported. She made the announcement at the 15th anniversary of an LGBTQ+ group at the United Nations at the ...
|NATIONAL Sarah McBride, TIME100 lists, Kentucky clerk, suspects arrested 2023-09-21|
- A poll showed that Delaware Democrat Sarah McBridewho is bidding to become the nation's first openly transgender member of Congressleads her primary opponents by a wide margin, The Hill reported. In a survey of likely Democratic ...
|19th annual Andersonville Arts Weekend Sept. 29 - Oct. 1 2023-09-20|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (September 18, 2023) The Andersonville Chamber of Commerce (ACC) is pleased to welcome back its 19tn annual Andersonville Arts Weekend, with the neighborhood transformed into a "walkable art gallery" ...
|WORLD Quebec lesbians, violence study, Rugby World Cup, Ugandan bill 2023-09-15|
- The hidden history of Quebec lesbians is being explored, the CBC reported. Between 1985 and 1996, a group of lesbians leased the Plateau-Mont-Royal school and ran it as a community center. The school was also home ...
|SHOWBIZ Kim Petras, LGBTQ+ movies, TIFF, canceled shows, yachts 2023-09-15|
Video below - Ahead of her Feed the Beast world tour, Grammy-winning international trans pop singer/songwriter Kim Petras has shared reimagined, symphonic, seven-piece string-ensemble performances of fan favorites from her debut album Feed ...
|NATIONAL Lesbian politician, Nancy Pelosi, bomb threat, politician dies, Lyft 2023-09-15|
- Kathy Kozachenkothe first out politician elected to public office in the countrywill be honored with a statue on the 50th anniversary of her historic election, per The Advocate. The city of Ann Arbor, Michigan, will honor ...
|MAP reports on obstacles trans people face with healthcare, legal recognition 2023-09-15|
--From a press release - Today the Movement Advancement Project (MAP) released Banning Medical Care and Legal Recognition for Transgender People, the fifth in MAP's report series, Under Fire: The War on LGBTQ People in America. The report details how the ...
|SHOWBIZ Outfest, Halo, 'Sex Education,' trans singer, 'Doctor Who'|
|NATIONAL Bisexual politicians, DADT, NBJC awards, crimes, Buttigieg|
|WORLD African efforts, HIV in Amsterdam, Donatella Versace, 'The Queen in Me'|
|MUSIC Former 'Idol' finalist Jim Verraros on his new song, Chicago and Kelly Clarkson|
|Support group for LGBT widows and widowers unites members in grief|