WINDY CITY TIMES
||England allows gay and bisexual men to donate blood
This article shared 629 times since Mon Dec 14, 2020
England has relaxed blood-donation rules for gay and bisexual men.
Gay and bisexual men will be able to donate blood more easily from next summer following a landmark policy change, The Guardian reported.
Men in a long-term relationship with another man will be able to donate blood from next summer, NHS Blood and Transplant said. The regulations currently require all men who have had sex with men to abstain from sex for three months to give blood.
The BBC noted that if donors have had more than one sexual partner or a new partner in the last three months, they can donate as longas they have not had anal sex.
A lifetime ban on gay men donating was reduced to a one-year abstinence from sex requirement in 2011; it was then cut to a three-month requirement in 2017.
In the United States, gay and bisexual men still have a three-month abstinence requirement.
This article shared 629 times since Mon Dec 14, 2020
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|National COVID-19 Memorial Service Jan. 19 to remember lives lost 2021-01-19|
- CHICAGO, IL— Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot and the City of Chicago, in partnership with the incoming Biden-Harris Administration, invite everyone in Chicago to take part in the National COVID-19 Memorial Service to remember the lives lost ...
|Biden nominates Dr. Rachel Levine, first trans person nominated for Senate-confirmed position
--From press releases - From Victory Institute: Washington, DC — President-elect Joe Biden nominated Pennsylvania Secretary of Health Dr. Rachel Levine to be the U.S. Assistant Secretary of Health — a historic nomination that makes her the first out trans ...
|Biden picks transgender assistant health secretary
- President-elect Joe Biden has chosen Pennsylvania Health Secretary Rachel Levine to be his assistant secretary of health—positioning her to become the first openly transgender federal official to be confirmed by the U.S. Senate, a Seattle Times ...
|COVID-19 restrictions for Chicago, suburbs relaxed, but still no indoor dining 2021-01-19|
- The Illinois Department of Public Health announced that Chicago and its suburbs would move to Tier 2 mitigation restrictions, effective immediately, The Chicago Tribune reported. Under the updated metrics, four regions under the reopening plan will ...
|SHOWBIZ LGBTQ movies, 'Color Purple,' Nick Jonas, gay coach 2021-01-17|
- The film Draw with Me has launched its virtual theatrical release at ArenaScreen through Feb. 9, and was the subject of the first-ever panel at the United Nations on Transgender Health, a release stated. Featuring Jennifer ...
|WORLD Global Fund, Croatian case, Poland items, Hillsong 2021-01-17|
- In 2020, the Global Fund signed 157 grants for a total of $8.54 billion for HIV, tuberculosis and malaria programs and to strengthen systems for healthand this is the highest number of grants the program ever ...
|Illinois Restaurant Assoc. asks Pritzker to allow indoor dining
- On Jan. 14, the Illinois Restaurant Association (IRA) and restaurant operators around the state issued a press release asking Gov. JB Pritzker to immediately allow for safe and limited indoor dining operations. The IRA's Open Indoor ...
|Howard Brown developing new center in Northalsted area
- Howard Brown Health has chosen Inland National Development Company, LLC to develop its newest healthcare center in Chicago's Northalsted neighborhood (formerly known as Boystown), according to REJournals. There are plans ...
|Choucair part of Biden/Harris COVID-19 response team
- Dr. Bechara Choucairthe senior vice president and chief health officer at Kaiser Permanente, and onetime commissioner of the Chicago Department of Public Healthis part of new President Joe Biden and ...
|Vulnerable communities slow to adopt key strategy to stop HIV's spread 2021-01-11|
--From a UCLA press release - LOS ANGELES — Taking a daily pill to prevent HIV transmission is one of the most effective biomedical strategies available to combat the virus' spread, yet use of this health regimen remains low among vulnerable communities ...
|COVID-19 Chicago's stay-at-home advisory extended
- Chicago's stay-at-home advisory has been extended for another 12 days (from Jan. 10), ABC7Chicago.com reported. Residents are advised to only leave their home to go to work or school, or for essential needs; examples include requiring ...
|NATIONAL Anti-bias rule nixed, trans deaths, lesbian archivist dies 2021-01-11|
- Under the cover of chaos the day after Trump supporters stormed the U.S. Capitol, the Trump administration officially nixed regulations barring federal grantees in the Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) from discriminating against LGBTQ ...
|Indiana pols propose anti-conversion therapy bill
- Indiana Stonewall Democrats issued a press release lauding state Sen. JD Ford (District 39) and state Rep. Sue Errington (District 26) for introducing a new bill to effectively end so-called "conversion therapy" practices across the state ...
|National LGBTQ organizations call for Trump's removal from office 2021-01-08|
--From a press release - New York, NY - Thursday, Jan. 7, 2020 - GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, along with leading LGBTQ legal, health, youth, justice and equality organizations, is callin ...
|NATIONAL Marriage proposal, Creating Change, mural erased, 'Queer Santa' 2021-01-05|
- A COVID-19 vaccine appointment at a Canton, South Dakota, hospital turned into a marriage proposal for one healthcare couple, CNN.com noted. Robbie Vargas-Cortes, 31, a paramedic and EMS supervisor, was scheduled to get his vaccination on ...