WINDY CITY TIMES
||England allows gay and bisexual men to donate blood
This article shared 3666 times since Mon Dec 14, 2020
England has relaxed blood-donation rules for gay and bisexual men.
Gay and bisexual men will be able to donate blood more easily from next summer following a landmark policy change, The Guardian reported.
Men in a long-term relationship with another man will be able to donate blood from next summer, NHS Blood and Transplant said. The regulations currently require all men who have had sex with men to abstain from sex for three months to give blood.
The BBC noted that if donors have had more than one sexual partner or a new partner in the last three months, they can donate as longas they have not had anal sex.
A lifetime ban on gay men donating was reduced to a one-year abstinence from sex requirement in 2011; it was then cut to a three-month requirement in 2017.
In the United States, gay and bisexual men still have a three-month abstinence requirement.
This article shared 3666 times since Mon Dec 14, 2020
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Former Illinois GOP chair joins Personal PAC board 2023-10-03|
- Former Illinois Republican Party chair Pat Brady has joined the board of Personal PAC, a pro-choice organization, Politico Illinois Playbook reported. The move is considered controversial within the Republican Party ...
|Support group for LGBT widows and widowers unites members in grief 2023-09-30|
- In May of 2016, C. Russell Bond of Wilmette founded a Meetup.com monthly support group for LGBT widows and widowers. The group's most recent September meeting happened to fall one day after an anniversary date with ...
|Kentucky, Tennessee allowed to enforce anti-trans youth healthcare bans 2023-09-30|
- The Cincinnati, Ohio-based Sixth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has allowed Tennessee and Kentucky to enforce laws banning gender-affirming medical care for minors, such as puberty blockers, hormones and surgery, Reuters reported. The ruling is the ...
|OPINION Social media use, mental health literacy and related problems among LGBTQ+ youth 2023-09-23|
- Special to Windy City Times Depression levels in the United States have risen steadily over the past five decades, and steep increases have been observed in recent years among children, adolescents, and adults under 25 years ...
|Lambda, TLDEF urge 4th Circuit to uphold rulings protecting gender-affirming care in NC, WV 2023-09-21|
--From a press release - (RICHMOND, VA - Thursday, Sept 21) — Today, a full panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit heard arguments in two cases involving equal access to health care for transgender people. State ...
|Pritzker and Brady-Davis honored at Planned Parenthood gala 2023-09-17|
- On the evening of Sept. 14, Planned Parenthood Illinois Action (PPIA) and Planned Parenthood Illinois Action PAC (PPIA PAC) organizations presented their annual Fighting Forward Gala fundraiser. The event shone ...
|NATIONAL Lesbian politician, Nancy Pelosi, bomb threat, politician dies, Lyft 2023-09-15|
- Kathy Kozachenkothe first out politician elected to public office in the countrywill be honored with a statue on the 50th anniversary of her historic election, per The Advocate. The city of Ann Arbor, Michigan, will honor ...
|MAP reports on obstacles trans people face with healthcare, legal recognition 2023-09-15|
--From a press release - Today the Movement Advancement Project (MAP) released Banning Medical Care and Legal Recognition for Transgender People, the fifth in MAP's report series, Under Fire: The War on LGBTQ People in America. The report details how the ...
|Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin to resume abortions after ruling 2023-09-15|
- Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin (PPWI) announced that it will resume abortion-care services Monday, Sept. 18, after a judge ruled in July that an old state law that appeared to ban the procedure does not apply to ...
|Aging LGBTQ+ Americans face additional caregiving challenges 2023-09-07|
- While Darcy Connors was a nursing home administrator in the South, she also operated a COVID-19 recovery center. Connors and her staff noticed that two of the patients in their charge had a strong connection with ...
|On the (gay) horizon: Center on Halsted marks 50 years 2023-09-06|
- In 1973, a group of Chicagoans organized a telephone hotline, which they named Helpline, allowing the community to more easily find and assist one another. This was a time when LGBTQ+ bars were still regularly raided ...
|WORLD Brazilian court, Scottish items, Canadian policy, PEPFAR 2023-08-31|
- The Brazilian Supreme Federal Court ruled nine to one that homophobia is now punishable with up to five years in prison, The Washington Blade reported. Their decision equates homophobia to racism in terms of prison time. ...
|Howard Brown Health reinstates workers following NLRB settlement recommendations 2023-08-29|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, Aug. 29, 2023 — Howard Brown Health reinstated 25 employees as part of a plan to follow the recommendations outlined in a proposed settlement from Region 13 of the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB). The ...
|Chicago Dancers United raises more than $365K at Dance for Life 2023-08-29|
- Chicago Dancers United (CDU)which supports the health and wellness of Chicago's professional dance communitywelcomed 1,600 people to the 32nd annual Dance for Life on Aug. 19 at Auditorium Theatre, per ...
|WORLD Argentinian elections, indian prince, UN, Gay Games 2023-08-25|
- The results of Argentina's Aug. 13 primary elections revealed a political landscape that combines significant advances in LGBTQI+ rights with the expansion of the far-right in that country, The Washington ...
|SHOWBIZ Outfest, Halo, 'Sex Education,' trans singer, 'Doctor Who'|
|NATIONAL Bisexual politicians, DADT, NBJC awards, crimes, Buttigieg|
|WORLD African efforts, HIV in Amsterdam, Donatella Versace, 'The Queen in Me'|
|MUSIC Former 'Idol' finalist Jim Verraros on his new song, Chicago and Kelly Clarkson|
|Support group for LGBT widows and widowers unites members in grief|