WINDY CITY TIMES
||Dutch study: Transgender people face twice the odds for early deaths
This article shared 2598 times since Wed Sep 8, 2021
A long-term Dutch study revealed that transgender people have double the odds of dying early compared to folks whose identity matches the sex they were assigned at birth (cisgender), according to the U.S. News & World Report.
And the added risk did not decrease over time, according to an analysis of data collected from more than 4,500 transgender people in the Netherlands between 1972 and 2018.
Study author Martin den Heijer, a professor at Amsterdam University Medical Center, said the risk has persisted for decades. "Increasing social acceptance, and monitoring and treatment for cardiovascular disease, tobacco use and HIV, will continue to be important factors that may contribute to decreasing … risk in transgender people," he said.
The death risk among transgender women was nearly triple that of cisgender women and nearly twice that of all Dutch men.
The full article is at https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2021-09-03/transgender-people-face-twice-the-odds-for-early-death-study.
This article shared 2598 times since Wed Sep 8, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Lambda, TLDEF urge 4th Circuit to uphold rulings protecting gender-affirming care in NC, WV 2023-09-21|
--From a press release - (RICHMOND, VA - Thursday, Sept 21) — Today, a full panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit heard arguments in two cases involving equal access to health care for transgender people. State ...
|Arrests, fights punctuate battles across Canada over gender diversity in schools 2023-09-21|
- Arrests were reported in the Canadian cities of Ottawa, Halifax, Vancouver and Victoria, among others, on Sept. 20 as opposing groups clashed on how schools address issues of gender identity and how teachers refer to transgender ...
|WORLD French fund, mausoleum, Abrazo Grupal, Biden, Billie Jean King 2023-09-21|
- French Foreign Minister Catherine Colonna announced a fund to help promote the rights of LGBTQ+ people, French24 reported. She made the announcement at the 15th anniversary of an LGBTQ+ group at the United Nations at the ...
|NATIONAL Sarah McBride, TIME100 lists, Kentucky clerk, suspects arrested 2023-09-21|
- A poll showed that Delaware Democrat Sarah McBridewho is bidding to become the nation's first openly transgender member of Congressleads her primary opponents by a wide margin, The Hill reported. In a survey of likely Democratic ...
|19th annual Andersonville Arts Weekend Sept. 29 - Oct. 1 2023-09-20|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (September 18, 2023) The Andersonville Chamber of Commerce (ACC) is pleased to welcome back its 19tn annual Andersonville Arts Weekend, with the neighborhood transformed into a "walkable art gallery" ...
|WORLD Quebec lesbians, violence study, Rugby World Cup, Ugandan bill 2023-09-15|
- The hidden history of Quebec lesbians is being explored, the CBC reported. Between 1985 and 1996, a group of lesbians leased the Plateau-Mont-Royal school and ran it as a community center. The school was also home ...
|SHOWBIZ Kim Petras, LGBTQ+ movies, TIFF, canceled shows, yachts 2023-09-15|
Video below - Ahead of her Feed the Beast world tour, Grammy-winning international trans pop singer/songwriter Kim Petras has shared reimagined, symphonic, seven-piece string-ensemble performances of fan favorites from her debut album Feed ...
|NATIONAL Lesbian politician, Nancy Pelosi, bomb threat, politician dies, Lyft 2023-09-15|
- Kathy Kozachenkothe first out politician elected to public office in the countrywill be honored with a statue on the 50th anniversary of her historic election, per The Advocate. The city of Ann Arbor, Michigan, will honor ...
|MAP reports on obstacles trans people face with healthcare, legal recognition 2023-09-15|
--From a press release - Today the Movement Advancement Project (MAP) released Banning Medical Care and Legal Recognition for Transgender People, the fifth in MAP's report series, Under Fire: The War on LGBTQ People in America. The report details how the ...
|Olivia Hill becomes first trans person elected in Tennessee 2023-09-15|
- Olivia Hill is the first openly transgender person ever elected to Nashville's Metro Council, per The Tennessean. And according to LGBTQ+ Victory Fund, Hill, 57, is the first transgender woman elected in Tennessee. Hill secured one ...
|Prime minister of Andorra comes out as gay 2023-09-11|
- Xavier Espot Zamora, the head of the government of the tiny European country of Andorra, has come out as gay—although he added that he never hid his sexual orientation, according to a translated article from The ...
|NATIONAL Historic political win, Columbus situation, trans coach, Gold + Williams 2023-09-08|
- Fabian Nelson won a Democratic primary runoff in Mississippi's 66th state House districtand he's now the state's first openly gay legislator, The Guardian noted. (Republicans are not running a candidate for the general election sched ...
|Aging LGBTQ+ Americans face additional caregiving challenges 2023-09-07|
- While Darcy Connors was a nursing home administrator in the South, she also operated a COVID-19 recovery center. Connors and her staff noticed that two of the patients in their charge had a strong connection with ...
|Fundraiser held for MWRD Commissioner Precious Brady-Davis 2023-09-04|
- Fundraiser held for MWRD Commissioner Precious Brady-Davis By Carrie Maxwell A fundraiser was held Aug. 31 at Sidetrack for newly sworn-in Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago (MWRC) Commissioner ...
|NATIONAL Sorority suit, trans woman's win, school policy, activist honored 2023-08-31|
- U.S. District Judge Alan B. Johnson dismissed a civil lawsuit against Kappa Kappa Gamma and Artemis Langfordthe first openly trans woman to join a sorority at the University of Wyoming, according to Oil City News. Johnson ...