WINDY CITY TIMES
||Dignity/Chicago's Lent program thru April 1
This article shared 2720 times since Wed Mar 7, 2012
Dignity/Chicago and Wisdom & Word Works Foundation will present a program for Lent focused on "What Covenant means to us today ... after 40 years" through Sunday, April 1, at Broadway United Methodist Church, 3338 N. Broadway.
Rev. Barbara Zeman and Rev. Mary Ramsden will lead reflections during Dignity's weekly Sunday Mass followed by group discussions during customary soup supper after each of the five Sundays of Lent at 5 p.m. For more information, visit www.dignity-chicago.org or call 312-458-9438.
This article shared 2720 times since Wed Mar 7, 2012
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|WORLD Church of England, World Cup news, court rulings, Justin Trudeau 2022-11-27|
- The Church of England is defending the scrutinized guidance for its 4,700 primary schools on LGBTQ+ issues, claiming that it doesn't allow students as young as 5 to self-identify as the opposite sex, The Christian Post ...
|NATIONAL $1M donation, church departures, Harvey Milk, abortions, Grindr 2022-11-27|
- In Ohio, Dayton-based insurance company CareSource is donating $1 million to United Church Homes to support the development of a senior living facility at the site of the former Longfellow School that will also aim at ...
|VIEWPOINT The cults of Jesus, Putin and Trump 2022-10-21|
- Originalist Christian nationalism. They say politics makes strange bedfellows. There is none stranger than the curious linking of Jesus to the cults of Vladimir Putin and Donald Trump in the faith and politics of an alarming ...
|Father Michael Pfleger faces another sexual-abuse claim, steps away from duties 2022-10-16|
- For the second time in less than two years, minister/activist the Rev. Michael Pfleger, 73, is stepping away from his ministry while under investigation for a decades-old sexual abuse allegation, The Chicago Tribune reported. In the ...
|'Gays and Gospel' on Oct. 11 at Northwestern University 2022-10-05|
- "Gays and Gospel"—a tribute to the LGBTQ+ community and all the contributions it has made to gospel music from its genesis in the 1920s until today—will be held on Tuesday, Oct. 11 (National Coming Out Day), ...
|Suburban priest once again faces sexual-assault allegations 2022-09-18|
- A priest in the Chicago suburbs is on leave once again after sexual-assault allegations have been leveled against him, according to ABC 7 Chicago. Father David Ryan, the pastor at Lake Zurich's Saint Francis de Sales ...
|Texas judge: Mandated PrEP coverage violates religious freedom 2022-09-08|
- On Sept. 7, a federal judge in Texas (U.S. District Judge Reed O'Connor) ruled that the government cannot force a Christian-owned company to cover HIV preventative medication (HIV PrEP) because it violates their religious freedom under ...
|Indiana Supreme Court upholds firing of gay Catholic-school teacher 2022-09-01|
- The Indiana Supreme Court ruled on Aug. 31 that the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Indiana was within its rights to direct the termination of a Catholic-school teacher who was married to a person of the same ...
|Lake View church vandalized over pro-abortion stance 2022-08-26|
- A Lakeview church was vandalized Aug. 24 by two women who appeared to be upset by its sign backing reproductive rights, Block Club Chicago reported. Second Unitarian Church of Chicago, 656 W. Barry Ave., put up ...
|Homeless-services agency Care for Friends temporarily moves to Edgewater 2022-08-02|
- Care for Friends, a Chicago-based homeless-services program, has temporarily moved to Edgewater after being in Lincoln Park for 54 years, according to a press release. The program is now based at the Church of the Atonement, ...
|LETTERS The Church should practice love and constructive dialogue, not hate 2022-07-25|
- Another U.S. diocese has issued new restrictive policies regarding LGBTQ issues in Catholic schools, and its new directives compare being openly transgender with sexual abuse. The Roman Catholic Church is having an internal dialogue on how ...
|NATIONAL Miami textbooks, Lia Thomas, Florida churches, Key West figure dies 2022-07-24|
- Miami-Dade County students could go months without sex-education books after school board members, by a five-to-four vote, rejected two proposed textbooks over concerns they violate the state's Parental Rights in Education bill, known by opponents as ...
|Pride in the Pews panel event covers the Black church and LGBTQ+ people 2022-07-13|
- The Pride in the Pews event "'Don't Ask, Don't Tell': The Black Church and the LGBTQ+ Community" took place July 7 at First Presbyterian Church of Chicago, 6400 S. Kimbark Ave. Among other topics, the panel ...
|'The Black Church and the LGBTQ+ Community' panel on July 7 2022-07-03|
- The Pride in the Pews event "'Don't Ask, Don't Tell': The Black Church and the LGBTQ+ Community" will take place Thursday, July 7, 5:30-7 p.m., at First Presbyterian Church of Chicago, 6400 S. Kimbark Ave. The ...
|Controversial pastor Rev. James Meeks announces retirement 2022-06-20|
- Salem Baptist Church Senior Pastor Rev. James Meeks announced he is retiring next January. The church has more than 9,000 members, according to its website. The vision statement is that Salem is "a multi-generational church focused ...