||Dancing About Architecture
by Marc 'Moose' Moder
This article shared 2861 times since Wed May 27, 2015
We all know La Toya Jackson, either through the Playboy covers, the psychic hotline, the tell-all book, the workout tape, or her crying her eyes out on Donahue. Though she has had more colorful TV appearances than can be countedand has always been surrounded by intrigueher fame has seemingly never been because of her musical efforts. That is the La Toya Jackson we don't know. Now that Janet is making a comeback ( akin to the Second Coming ), we asked the guys reissuing her Bad Girl album: Why La Toya?
Throughout most of the 1980s, Jackson's musical output, despite being finely-crafted pop and soul, had seen a mediocre response. It wasn't until her fifth album, You're Gonna Get Rockedlargely written and produced by '80s powerhouses Full Force ( Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam, Samantha Fox ) and Stock-Aitken-Waterman ( Kylie Minogue, Bananarama )that Jackson garnered any mainstream interest in her music.
Perhaps its release alongside her top-selling Playboy pictorial helped to propel sales, but regardless, label execs were eager to put Jackson back into the studio to work on her sixth LP. The albumBad Girl, as it came to be calledwas recorded in a matter of weeks, but by the time that Jackson was ready to release its first single, her label was floundering. The single stalled, failing to garner support from radio or music TV, leaving the album's release in limbo. Immediately after, Jackson left the label, taking the new material with her.
After a successful reissue of her first Teldec album in 2013 through UK label Cherry Pop, "There was a lot of discussion about further La Toya projects," says Vibe On Records co-founder Matt Emrick. In fact, Emrick and co-founder John-Ryan Griggs were set to release a compilation of previously-unreleased La Toya recordings in 2014, including covers of Whitney Houston's "I Wanna Dance with Somebody" and Little Eva's "Loco-motion," but quickly pulled the plug at the personal request of Jackson herself.
Eager to oversee the release of something La Toya-related, Emrick and Griggs worked her former labels A&R man, Sherman Heinig, to compile the bonus material necessary for making Bad Girl worth reissuing. "The fact that there are probably a million different versions of this album already available didn't really do us any favors," says Griggs. "We knew we had to dig up some quality stuff to make its release noteworthy."
The team spent a few months digging through boxes of items in storage, looking for any relevant material, including alternate mixes and edits. Then they shopped the project around to different labels, and it became clear that if Emrick and Griggs wanted a definitive edition of Bad Girl to exist, they would have to take it on themselves. "Everyone we talked to wanted to go on the cheap," Emrick says, adding, "but that's the way Bad Girl had always been treated. We wanted a nice product, a sleek booklet with a cohesive design reflecting the original vinyl, and beefed-up sound. No one we talked to could offer that."
Exclusive to the Vibe On's release is Rigger's Horizon Remix of the 1990 single, "Sexual Feeling." Produced by Tommy Boy remixer DJ Otis Brown, the track Kelly Osbourne once called "the most amazing song I've ever heard in my life" got a 2015 facelift. It seemed fitting.
For those dabbling in LaToya via her little sister, "There's a version of 'Sexual Feeling' where La Toya raps about teaching a man to please his woman," details Griggs. "It's an Italo-house mix of the track, not too far removed from Janet's 'Throb,' which totally ripped off this song three years later." It was originally intended to be the album's opener, but at some point was swapped out for a tamer version.
"A lot of fans ended up overlooking it," he adds. "We had to fix that."
Though they are still hard at work packing and mailing shipments of Bad Girl, Emrick and Griggs are hard at work seeking out their next project. "We've spoken with Julie Brown ( Earth Girls Are Easy ) about doing an expanded version of her 'Trapped In the Body of a White Girl' album, as well as a couple of other '80s acts," concludes Emrick. "We've got big plans for Vibe On. John and I are all about seeing forgotten pop music treasured, treated with respect and being made available to the masses."
Vibe On Records' two-disc deluxe edition of Bad Girl is available now from vibeonrecords.com and amazon.com .
This article shared 2861 times since Wed May 27, 2015
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|WORLD Pope Francis, non-binary minor, athlete dies at 35, Taiwan 2023-01-29|
- Pope Francis made headlines when he told the Associated Press on Jan. 24 that "being homosexual is not a crime," although he also described being gay as sinful, Gay City News noted. The pontiff called on ...
|SHOWBIZ Lil Nas X, Sam Smith, tennis items, Oscars, Queerties 2023-01-29|
- Famed children's entertainers The Wiggles sent parents into a frenzy when they posted a photo with out rapper Lil Nas X to their Instagram account and wrote, "New collab in the wind?," according to LGBTQ Nation. ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Planet Sex,' Critics Choice Awards, Madonna, Theo James 2023-01-22|
- The show Planet Sex with Cara Delevingne will debut on Hulu on Feb. 14 (Valentine's Day), Out noted. Planet Sex is a six-episode docuseries following the model/actress. "On this immersive journey, she puts her mind and ...
|SHOWBIZ Indigo Girls, LGBTQ+ films, GALECA nods, Jeremy Pope 2023-01-15|
- Indigo Girls will perform at an opening-night celebration for the Sundance Film Festival on Jan. 19 in Park City, Utah, Variety reported. The Grammy-winning lesbian folk-rock duo are debuting their new documentary, It's Only Life After All, ...
|Jordan Vasquez treats Chicago to Fosse's Chicago 2023-01-12|
- Actor and openly gay performer Jordan Vasquez, an Illinois native now living in New York City, is giving Chicago audiences "the old razzle dazzle" in the fabulous musical Chicago. This dynamically talented performer brings with him ...
|SHOWBIZ Diversity report, Dave Bautista, Leslie Jordan, greatest singers 2023-01-08|
- The USC Annenberg Inclusion Initiative's latest "Inclusion in the Director's Chair" report analyzes the gender and race/ethnicity of the directors behind last year's 100 highest-grossing movies in the country, while the San Diego State Center ...
|SHOWBIZ Best in theater, TV, film and music; Obama's favorites; 'Glass Onion' 2022-12-31|
- Deadline's Broadway critic revealed his picks for the best of 2022. Leopoldstadt topped his list, but other productions included Kimberly Akimbo, Some Like It Hot, Into the Woods, Hangmen, Ain't No Mo', A Strange Loop, Topdog/Underdog, ...
|SHOWBIZ Janelle Monae, Harvey Guillen, Whitney Houston, 'Drag Race,' Greg Berlanti 2022-12-24|
- Janelle Monae has teased a new album, joking that they now has a "clone" for music who has been hard at work in the studio, NME noted. Monaeâ€”whose leading part as Helen Brand in the new Glass Onion: ...
|WORLD Ghana funding, Latvia measure, Russia items, trans princess 2022-12-18|
- Some Western governments who pledged to support LGBTQI+ rights have also funded supporters of a controversial bill in Ghana that could introduce harsh sentences for advocating for sexual and gender minorities' rights, CNN reported. In the ...
|Life is a Cabaret for James Harkness these days 2022-12-14|
- Out performer James Harkness is one of the many performers in Cabaret ZaZou's Luminaire, the latest project from the creative team behind the successful show Teatro ZinZanni. Currently in an open run since Sept. 7, 2022, ...
|SHOWBIZ Jerrod Carmichael, 'Heartstopper,' Lena Waithe, Gyllenhaal, Cher 2022-12-11|
- Out comedian Jerrod Carmichael will host the 80th Annual Golden Globe Awards, Deadline reported. After a yearlong hiatus, the three-hour telecast will air on Tuesday, Jan. 10, 2023 from The Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills on NBC and ...
|Filmmaker reworks locally-produced holiday film Scrooge & Marley for upcoming stage reading 2022-12-07|
- It's been 10 years since Chicago writer/musician/perfomer Richard Knight, Jr. co-directed and co-wrote the LGBTQ+ holiday film Scrooge & Marley. "One of the most memorable nights of my life was the premiere at the Music Box, ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Bros,' awards, Bjork, video-game love story, 'White Lotus' 2022-12-04|
- The gay rom-com film Bros started streaming on Peacock on Dec. 2, Out noted. Written by Billy Eichner and Nicholas Stoller (and directed by the latter), Bros was produced by Judd Apatow and starred Eichner along with an all-LGBTQ+ ...
|SHOWBIZ Elton John, Leslie Jordan, Joel Kim Booster, Janelle Monae 2022-11-27|
- Elton John gave Los Angeles concluded a three-show run on Nov. 20 back inside Dodger Stadium, taking a final bow as part of his "Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour," according to The Hollywood Reporter. The concert ...
|MUSIC: Sophie B. Hawkins talks LGBTQ+ youth and living an authentic life 2022-11-24|
- In the '90s, singer-songwriter Sophie B. Hawkins made quite an impression on people with the entrancing song "Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover" and its accompanying video. She also had hits such as "Right Beside You" ...