||DANCING ABOUT ARCHITECTURE
AGE, RELEVANCE AND THE BBC
by Marc 'Moose' Moder
This article shared 3064 times since Wed Feb 18, 2015
This week it was announced by BBC Radio One, that after over 30 years of support, Madonna is no longer relevant enough for the mainstream BBC1, and being moved to BBC2, the UK radio equivalent of being put out to pasture for good. In a talk with an insider at the station, The Daily Mail reported, "At the end of the day it's all about relevance. It's natural that as an artist gets older their audience goes elsewhere and Radio 1 has to reflect that. The station has a duty to meet the needs of younger listeners. I don't think the audience is losing sleep that it is not playing Madonna in the same way that it used to."
The Daily Mail continues, "The snub represents a remarkable fall from grace for the star that notched up 13 UK No. 1s between 1985 and 2008. She finds herself alongside Sir Cliff Richard, Take That, Kate Bush and Robbie Williams on a long list of artists who struggle to get new material played on the station."
While our initial reaction as a gay, assumed liberal audience is to find this ageist, we also have to take a step back and look at quality output and the artists mentioned. It's no secret that Madonna's vocal abilities and lyrical content have been on a decline, while her stunts to seem young have been on an incline, but so have the other artists mentioned above as well. Take That and Robbie Williams have been beating the same dead pop horses for 20 years, and despite great vocal output and unwavering hotness, the boys sound about as fresh and edgy as their US counterparts, New Kids on the Block and Backstreet Boys. Maybe there's room on the cruise ship for one more.
When you compare these artists recent releases to those of the larger acts popular in and out of the UK ( Ed Sheeran, Disclosure, Adele, Jessie J ) there's a fire and passion along with great vocals that spew from these younger artists that are no longer there with the warhorses. And while we have affection for the veterans, the younger generation doesn't yet, and won't until these folks have time to step back, let the younger kids have their day, and create a craving for a comeback. We have to sometimes step back and see that our nostalgia for acts of our prime don't carry the same weight as current acts to youth. The youth cannot be underestimated, and they do know good from bad, passion from complacency. It's possible to stay hip and relevant, but the older you get, the better you must get, and the kids will be alright. One day we'll all be discussing Sam Smith and Beyonce in the same light. All in time.
Come hear DJ Moose being totally 90s irrelevant at "9021Otter at The SoFo Tap" this Saturday
This article shared 3064 times since Wed Feb 18, 2015
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|National Women's Music Festival to stream June 30-July 4 2021-06-13|
- The beauty, power and wisdom of women will be celebrated at the 45th Annual National Women's Music Festival, which will be streamed on Mandolin.com on June 30-July 4. There will be a SheRocks Stage, Spotlight Stage, ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Our America,' Randy Rainbow, Melissa Etheridge, 'Drag Race,' VINCINT 2021-06-13|
- ABC Owned Television Stations announced that the first two-episodes of the Our America: Who I'm Meant to Be docuseries are now available on its 32 connected TV apps across streaming platforms Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, ...
|Seb throws Carlos a quinceanero on 'High School Musical: The Musical: The Series' 2021-06-10|
- High School Musical: The Musical: The Series is a streaming television show on Disney+ inspired byyou guessed it!the High School Musical film series. It is set in East High School and has a unique storyline with ...
|Ravinia Festival announces updates to 2021 summer programming 2021-06-09|
--From a press release - HIGHLAND PARK, IL — The Ravinia Festival is pleased to announce the following additions to its summer 2021 schedule: Counting Crows, Aug. 19 Marie Osmond with special guest David Archuleta (Ravinia debuts), Aug. 25 Allison Russell ...
|Chaka Khan, Tiesto, drag queens to be at 'Pride in the Park' June 26-27 2021-06-08|
- The acts have been revealed who will perform at Pride in the Park on June 26-27 in Grant Park. It will be 2-10 p.m. on June 26, and 3-10 p.m. the following day. Performers in the line-ups include Chaka Khan, Tiesto, ...
|Tracy Young: DJ on Kim Zolciak, pronouns and 'Pride in the Park' 2021-06-07|
- From DJ Steve Aoki throwing rainbow cakes into the crowd to drag queens keeping the party pumping for two fun filled days in 2019 at the Petrillo Music Shell stage in Grant Park, music has quickly ...
|MUSIC Adam Lambert, Billy Porter, Demi Lovato
part of 4th Annual Stonewall Day 2021-06-07|
- On June 6, Pride Live held the 4th annual Stonewall Day eventa global campaign to elevate awareness and support for the Stonewall legacy and the continuing fight for full LGBTQ+ equality. This year, Pride Live teamed ...
|Buffalo Grove holds Pride Drive 2021-06-07|
- On June 6, a Pride Drive took place in Buffalo Grove. More than 100 residential and commercial properties were decorated with pride decor, balloon art by Balloons by Tommy, music, rainbow treats and more. The Pride ...
|SHOWBIZ Todrick Hall, LGBTQIA+ podcast, Pride TV programs, '80s music 2021-06-06|
- Todrick Hall is celebrating Pride with the release of his new album, Femuline, on June 8, a press release noted. The album's lead single, "Boys In The Ocean," is described as "an irresistible funk jam." Femuline ...
|New Streisand album coming out Aug. 6 2021-06-05|
- Columbia Records and Legacy Recordings, a division of Sony Music Entertainment, will present Release Me 2a new collection of 10 previously unreleased studio performances from the legendary Barbra Streisandon Friday ...
|VIRTUAL CONCERT Lyric Opera airing 'The New Classics' on June 10 2021-06-02|
- On Thursday, June 10, The Lyric Opera will air airtual cabaret featuring Broadway and Lyric artists in "The New Classics: Songs from the New Golden Age of Musical Theater." The event will start at 7 p.m ...
Chicago Philharmonic announces new Executive Director Terell M. Johnson 2021-06-02|
- After a four-month, nationwide search, The Chicago Philharmonic Society's Board-appointed Search Committee has chosen Terell M. Johnson as the new executive director of the Society, effective July 1. Johnson succeeds ...
|Billy Masters 2021-05-31|
- "I will never trust pants again!"Lil Nas X on his wardrobe malfunction on Saturday Night Live. To see the incidentand Lil's commentarycheck out BillyMasters.com. We have a Memorial Day tradition ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Red Hot' album, 'Drag Race,' 'L Word,' Qveen Herby, Lee Daniels 2021-05-30|
- The Red Hot organization, which raises funds to fight HIV/AIDS, announced Red Hot + Freea mixtape of dance beats, electro grooves and global anthems, a press release noted. Out July 2 and helmed by producer-provocateur Bill ...
|Lady Gaga releasing 10th-anniversary edition of 'Born This Way' June 25 2021-05-28|
- Lady Gaga announced a special-edition Born This Way: The Tenth Anniversary album that will be released via Interscope on June 25, according to a press release. (The release date was previously June 18.) ...