||DANCING ABOUT ARCHITECTURE
by Marc “Moose” Moder
This article shared 1305 times since Wed Apr 11, 2012
If you follow music blogs at all, the headline of the past week (that didn't involve tub drowning) was The Return of the Boy Band. I've said it before and I'll say it again: However hideous a music trend, it will all come back. As a child of the '90s (OK, so I was in my 20s then. Piss off.), I saw that last wave come and go with some pretty awful results. Where there's a yin, there's a yang as well, and that yang of the '90s was a burst of real, quality singer/songwriters like Marc Cohn, kd lang, Shawn Colvin, Vonda Shepard, Sarah McLachlan, Indigo Girls and more. As the '90s gave way to the '00s and whatever we're in now, music has gone to two extremes: overly commercial and Zooey Deschanel preciousness/artiness, leaving the middle-grounders to make a comeback.
Matt Alber also came up in that era, and is really expressing this on his new CD, Constant Crows (not to be confused with Counting Crows, also from that era). Coming up on a steady diet of singer/songwriters, Matt told me recently, Emily and Amy of the Indigos were the biggest influence on Crows, "Sonically, I've always admired The Indigo Girls' albums for their beautiful textures that come across as quite simple in production, when in fact there can be 20-30 layers in there. "Swamp Ophelia in particular is an album that I've been carrying around in my ear for decades, and this was my chance to see if I could record in that ilk," states Matt.
If you saw Matt at his previous gig at Gary Ward's legendary Flesh Hungry Dog Show, you'd have seen not the ethereal, classically trained Alber from his debut, but more of a folkstar along the lines of his idols, and he tells me this experience really gave him a new direction. "I'd say the biggest influence on my approach to making these recordings was touring as a solo guitar/piano act for the last two years. I started each track by recording a simple vocal plus one instrument that I felt captured the heart of the song. Then I carefully built around that track adding only what I thought was necessary to accentuate the melody." Constant Crows, with its acoustic base and stripped down percussion will fit right in when he returns to the Flesh Hungry Dog Show at Jackhammer in next week.
So if we've learned anything from past mistakes, avoid the boy band embarrassment, and get with a real man. You won't regret it, but you will regret that The Wanted tattoo.
Matt Alber plays live at Jackhammer, April 14 as part of Flesh Hungry Dog Show. Go to www.fleshhungrydog.com for tickets. Constant Crows is available now at www.mattalber.com .
This article shared 1305 times since Wed Apr 11, 2012
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Touche Chicago's 45th-anniversary celebration marred by racist performance 2022-11-03|
- Racist performance mires Touche Chicago's 45th anniversary celebration By Carrie Maxwell On Nov. 1, the leather, fetish and bear-focused Touche Chicago celebrated its 45th anniversary with a feature performance by ...
|Howard Brown Health's Big Orange Ball has 'Saturday Night Fever' theme 2022-10-27|
- Howard Brown Health's Big Orange Ball was back in-person at Park West on Oct. 22this time with a big (not orange) disco ball. About 300 people brought their Halloween spirit to the event, dressed in costumes ...
|'Martinis That Matter' to honor former TPAN CEO Jeff Berry on Oct. 30 2022-10-19|
- Marty's Martini Bar, 1511 W. Balmoral Ave., presents "Martinis That Matter," a community giving-back program that funds community groups, charities and organizations. Profits from the sales during these events go to the organizations hosting. On Sunda ...
|'Barlesque' launches at Sidetrack 2022-09-03|
- On Sept. 1 at Northalsted/Boystown nightspot Sidetrack, Barlesque kicked off. Nightlife figure Khloe Daniels hosted, introducing this year's bars, performers and choreographers. Barlesque brings Chicago nightlife superstars, local bars and ...
|TPAN bringing back 'Barlesque' starting Sept. 1 2022-08-25|
- Barlesque is back. On Thursday, Sept. 1, at 7 p.m. at Northalsted/Boystown nightspot Sidetrack, 3349 N. Halsted St., Barlesque will kick off. Nightlife figure Khloe Daniels will host introduce this year's bars, performers and choreographers. Attendanc ...
|Touche holds fundraiser for Windy City Times 2022-07-12|
- Leather bar Touche, 6412 N. Clark St., held its regular Friday fundraiser on July 8—and the fortunate recipient this time was Windy City Times. Approximately $200 were raised during this benefit raffle. Touche has been a ...
|Pride Journey: Iceland 2022-03-21|
- The only way to describe Iceland is ... magical. It truly is. Iceland is like no other place I've visited in the world. It's topography, climate, people, culture, history, and nightlife blended together make Iceland a ...
|PASSAGES Jeffrey Wayne ("Jef") Morgan 2022-01-11|
- Jeffrey Wayne "Jef" Morgan, of Chicago's West Rogers Park neighborhood, passed away unexpectedly from a heart attack while shoveling snow on Jan. 2. He was 58. Jef was the well-loved manager at Little Jim's on ...
|'Andersonville Homecoming' Sept. 24-26; line-up, vendors, safety protocols announced 2021-09-15|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (Sept. 15, 2021) The Andersonville Chamber of Commerce (ACC) is pleased to announce the full entertainment line-up and vendors for Andersonville Homecoming--a three-night, two-day outdoor festival featuring ...
|Next OUTspoken show Sept. 7 2021-08-24|
- An OUTspoken Storytelling Night taking place Tuesday, Sept. 7, will offer tales told by six people who will relate their stories of fun and fortune from a LGBTQ+ perspective. The entertainment will start at 7 p.m. ...
|Taste of River North cancelled 2021-07-29|
- On July 29, the River North Residents Association, along with theMART and Duff Entertainment, announced the cancellation of the 2021 edition of Taste of River North. The event was slated to take place Aug. 20-21 at ...
|OUTspoken storytelling to host six takes from LGBTQ+ perspective 2021-07-26|
--From a press release - The month of August is hot - but OUTspoken at the Sidetrack will be even hotter on Aug. 3 when six storytellers will tell tales of fun and fortune from a LGBTQ+ perspective! The program will start at 7:00 pm at ...
|LGBTQIA+ tavern to open in Uptown this fall 2021-07-14|
- 2Bears Tavern Groupwhich owns and operates Andersonville's The SoFo Tap and Meeting House Tavern as well as Rogers Park's Jackhammeris opening 2Bears Tavern Uptown in the former Nick's on Wilson space at 1140 W. Wilson Ave. ...
|Pride Parade coordinator provides latest on the 'likely scenario' for event 2021-05-08|
- Tim Frye, the coordinator of the 2021 Pride Parade, told Windy City Times that the assessment of this year's event has not changed over the last few weeks. The official statement/assessment at this point is: "We ...
|OUTspoken Storytelling to host tales from LGBTQ perspectives Nov. 10 2020-11-01|
--From a press release - Another exciting OUTspoken Storytelling Night will offer the perspective of four Chicagoans telling life's stories from their LGBTQ+ viewpoint or that of their close friends and relatives, Tuesday, Nov. 10, starting at 7 p.m. on Zoom. ...