WINDY CITY TIMES
|Cupich leads LGBTQ+ Mass in Lake View
This article shared 1829 times since Wed Jun 21, 2023
On June 18, Cardinal Blase Cupich led an LGBTQ+ Catholic Mass at Lake View's Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church, according to Block Club Chicago.
The Archdiocesan Gay and Lesbian Outreach (AGLO) ministry has hosted weekly LGBTQ+ Masses for decades. Cupich presided over the group's Sunday Mass as it celebrated its 35th anniversary.
"God has brought us together here as a community. That's why this community is so important. It's a reflection of God and of the desire of God to have his people come together and support each other," Cupich said. However, the cardinal didn't use the words "gay" or "LGBTQ+" during his 10-minute homily.
A statement released by Cupich's office before the Mass said AGLO Chicago has "made much progress in bringing the Good News of Jesus to Catholics and creating a welcoming faith community for our LGBTQ+ brothers and sisters."
In 2021, in response to the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith saying the Catholic Church "does not have, and cannot have, the power to bless unions of persons of the same sex," a statement from Cupich read, in part, "The understandable reaction among many to this response will be disappointment. This should prompt us in the Church and in the archdiocese to redouble our efforts to be creative and resilient in finding ways to welcome and encourage all LGBTQ people in our family of faith."
The Block Club Chicago article is at blockclubchicago.org/2023/06/19/cardinal-blase-cupich-presides-over-lgbtq-mass-in-lakeview-god-brought-us-together-here-as-a-community/ .
This article shared 1829 times since Wed Jun 21, 2023
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE
|Bring Chicago Home Campaign releases open endorsement letter from 100+ faith leaders 2024-02-19
--From a press release - CHICAGO — With just over a month before the March 19th primary election, prominent Chicago faith leaders will today release a letter—signed by over 100 religious leaders—endorsing the Bring Chicago Home campaign to restructure the Real ...
|WORLD Marriage in Greece, UK politics, cruise death, HRC grants 2024-02-02
- The Holy Synod of the Church of Greece unanimously agreed at a recent meeting that it is "strongly opposed" to the Greek government's promised bill on same-sex marriage and adoption, Balkan Insight reported. The conservative New ...
|Ohio man sentenced for firebombing pro-LGBTQ+ church 2024-01-30
- On Jan. 29, 2024, Ohio resident Aimenn D. Penny was sentenced to 216 months (18 years) in prison followed by three years of supervised release for attempting to burn down a pro-LGBTQ+ church, according to a ...
|VIEWS Is the Pope Catholic? Francis faces opposition in steps toward LGBTQ+ inclusivity 2024-01-02
- The recent change in Vatican policy allowing priests to bless same-gender couples has provoked an unprecedented backlash against Pope Francis and his openness to LGBTQ+ people—a backlash that some fear might devolve into a schism in ...
|WORLD Brianna Ghey, archbishops, HIV, George Michael, Albanian women 2023-12-29
- A boy and a girl, each 16, were found guilty of murdering a transgender teenager in northwest England earlier this year in a knife attack, per a Yahoo! News item that cited the AP. Brianna Ghey, ...
|Catholic Church allows priests to bless same-sex couples but reaffirms disapproval of gay marriage 2023-12-22
- LGBTQ+ couples can now receive blessings from priests, but the Catholic Church maintained its strict ban on gay marriage, according to a Vatican document approved by Pope Francis Dec. 18. This historic change in doctrine marks ...
|Greek government vows to back marriage equality 2023-12-22
- Despite opposition from the Church of Greece and within the ruling New Democracy, Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis' government said it will eventually move to legalize same-sex marriage, The National Herald reported. However, no timetable was ...
|Dignity/Chicago welcomes new rule on church blessings for same-sex marriages 2023-12-18
--From a press release - Dignity/Chicago, the advocacy organization for LGBTQI Catholics and friends, welcomed the news that the Vatican's doctrinal office has officially declared it possible for Catholic priests to bless same-sex unions and ...
|New Ways Ministry: Pope's blessings approval is Christmas gift to LGBTQ+ Catholics 2023-12-18
--From a press release - MOUNT RAINIER, Maryland—Statement by Francis DeBernardo, Executive Director, New Ways Ministry: Pope Francis gave LGBTQ+ Catholics an early Christmas gift this year by approving blessings for same-gender couples. The Vatican ...
|Pope Francis changes policy, allowing priests to bless same-sex unions; GLAAD responds 2023-12-18
--From a press release - GLAAD: "By removing barriers to priests blessing LGBTQ couples, the Pope accurately recognizes that LGBTQ people and our relationships are worthy of the same affirmation and support in the Church, and this strengthens couples in their ...
|Pope Francis's community of transwomen 2023-11-28
- It's a rare opportunity to meet the pope. It's even rarer if you're a transgender Catholic. However, on Nov. 19, in Torvaianica, Italy, a community of transwomen, many of them sex workers, were welcomed and seated ...
|Ghana cardinal: It's time to understand homosexuality 2023-11-27
- Ghana Cardinal Peter Kodwo Appiah Turkson told the BBC that being gay should not be considered illegal and that people should be helped to understand the issue of homosexuality better. Turkson's comments come as his country's ...
|Pope: Trans people can be baptized and act as godparents 2023-11-09
- Pope Francis has stated that trans people may be baptized and act as godparents or witnesses to marriage under the same conditions as any other adult—as long as a scandal does not result, according to PinkNews. ...
|NATIONAL Montana court, gay bishop, EEOC, Equality Forum, banned operas 2023-10-05
- A Montana court blocked enforcement of the state's ban on gender-affirming care for transgender youthleading trans state Rep. Zooey Zephyr to express her gratitude, The Advocate reported. Missoula County District Court Judge Jason Marks issued a ...
|COMMENTARY Pope Francis permits blessings of same-gender couples on a case-by-case basis 2023-10-04
- Pope Francis affirms the spiritual value of blessings of same gender couples in Church sanctioned ceremonies on a case-by-case basis when judged pastorally appropriate. In a letter, released by the Vatican on Oct. 2, Francis states ...