WINDY CITY TIMES
This article shared 360 times since Wed Oct 11, 2017
The Heavens are Hung in Black, Shattered Globe at Theater Wit, through Oct. 21. The year 1862 tested Abe Lincoln to his political and personal max. James Still's history pageant makes a few bits up, but brings Abe to life as well as anyone has, especially as played by Lawrence Grimm. JA
The Audience, Timeline Theatre Company, through Nov. 12. We Yanks just can't get enough of Buckingham Palace gossip, and Peter Morgan is happy to serve up his silver-fork speculations in properly satisfactory manner. MSB
Fun Home, Victory Gardens Theater, through Nov. 12. Lisa Kron and Jeanine Tesori's Tony Award-winning musical adaptation of Alison Bechdel's 2006 graphic memoir is back. Broadway veteran Gary Griffin directs a gloriously intimate and heartbreaking production that musicalizes Bechdel's life as a budding lesbian in contrast to her closeted gay dad's troubled existence. SCM
Sylvester, or The Wicked Uncle, Lifeline Theatre, through Oct. 29. A regency romance framed in the visual device of a board game makes for extra playfulness in Christina Calvit's latest Georgette Heyer makeover. MSB
By Abarbanel, Barnidge and Morgan
This article shared 360 times since Wed Oct 11, 2017
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|THEATER Michael Dalke makes Pretty Woman: The Musical happy and gay 2021-12-04|
- The fairy-tale story of Pretty Woman was brought to life as a musical by openly gay theater director/choreographer Jerry Mitchell in 2018. He debuted the original production of Pretty Woman: The Musical premiered in Chicago at ...
|Moises Kaufman takes audiences to 'Paradise' 2021-12-03|
- Paradise Square is a new musical that opened in Chicago last month at the James M. Nederlander Theatre. This is based on a true story set in New York City in 1863, when Black and Irish immigrants lived together in a ...
|Hell in a Handbag Productions to present Christmas Dearest Nov. 27-Dec. 31 2021-12-03|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (December 2, 2021) — Hell in a Handbag Productions is pleased to continue its 20th anniversary season with the return of one of its most popular holiday musicals: Christmas Dearest, featuring book and lyrics by ...
|Director Paris Barclay talks about virtual reading of 'The Normal Heart' 2021-12-01|
- The seminal Larry Kramer play The Normal Heart—which focuses on the rise of the HIV/AIDS epidemic in New York City in the early 1980s, through the perspective of the character Ned Weeks—is the subject of a ...
|THEATER 'It's a Wonderful Life: Live in Chicago!' through Dec. 31 2021-11-30|
- American Blues Theater marks its return to live, in-person theater with its 20th annual production of It's a Wonderful Life: Live in Chicago!, from Frank Capra's film. The production will run through Friday, Dec. 31, at ...
|THEATER 'Wicked' returning to Chicago in 2022 2021-11-30|
- The blockbuster musical Wicked will return to Broadway In Chicago's James M. Nederlander Theatre, 24 W. Randolph St., on Sept. 28-Dec. 4, 2022. Now the fifth longest-running show in Broadway historyand featuring songs such as "Popular" ...
|THEATER 'Who's Holiday!' running through Dec. 26 2021-11-29|
- Theater Wit, 1229 W. Belmont St., is running the Chicago premiere of Who's Holiday!a production about a booze-guzzling, cigarette-smoking, adult Cindy Lou Who reminiscing about the night she first met The Grinch. The show is being ...
|THEATER REVIEW Lighthouses in the Desert 2021-11-27|
- Title: Lighthouses in the Desert. Playwright: Richard James Zieman At: Schwartz Stage at Raven Theatre, 6157 N. Clark St. Tickets: $25; GlassAppleTheatre.com. Runs through: Dec. 19 Nowadays, the term "one-act play" can be applied to nearly ...
|Broadway titan Stephen Sondheim dies at 91 2021-11-27|
- Stephen Sondheim, one of the giants of Broadway songwriting, died Nov. 26 at his home in Roxbury, Connecticut, according to media reports. He was 91. Among the works in the legend's oeuvre are Company (1970), Follies ...
|Virtual reading, Q&A of 'The Normal Heart' with mostly LGBTQ+ and/or BIPOC cast on Dec. 4 2021-11-26|
- ONE Archives Foundation, in collaboration with Invisible Histories Project, announced today that a brand-new Q&A will follow an encore and final presentation of the historic virtual reading of Larry Kramer's Tony-winning play The Normal Heart. The ...
|Goodman Theatre's 'A Christmas Carol' running through Dec. 31 2021-11-25|
- Now in its 44th year, Goodman Theatre's classic production of A Christmas Carol is the story of Ebenezer Scrooge's discovery of kindness, compassion and redemption. Director Jessica Thebus co-adapted and helmed the 2020 audio streaming version, ...
|THEATER 'Q Brothers Christmas Carol' Dec. 7-23 2021-11-24|
- The 80-minute hip-hop holiday hit Q Brothers Christmas Carolcreated by Chicago sensations the Q Brothers Collective (GQ, JQ, Jax and Pos) and developed with Creative Producer Rick Boyntonis back in a limited engagement in The Yard ...
|THEATER REVIEW Bug 2021-11-21|
- Title: Bug. Playwright: Tracy Letts At: Steppenwolf Theatre Company, 1650 N. Halsted St. Tickets: $20-$110; Steppenwolf.org. Runs through: Dec. 12 When you hear the word "bug," do you think of an insect, a microbe or a ...
|Legendary costume designer accused of sexual harassment, abuse 2021-11-20|
- Legendary costume designer and six-time Tony winner William Ivey Longa onetime head of the American Theatre Wing, which gives out the Tony Awardshas been accused of sexual harassment and abuse by two different men, according to ...
|THEATER 'Cinderella' at Paramount through Jan. 9 2021-11-20|
- Aurora's Paramount Theatre is presenting Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella through Sunday, Jan. 9, 2022. According to a press release, "Paramount's Cinderella promises to come with all of the spectacle and splendor audiences have come to ex ...