WINDY CITY TIMES
This article shared 686 times since Wed Oct 11, 2017
The Heavens are Hung in Black, Shattered Globe at Theater Wit, through Oct. 21. The year 1862 tested Abe Lincoln to his political and personal max. James Still's history pageant makes a few bits up, but brings Abe to life as well as anyone has, especially as played by Lawrence Grimm. JA
The Audience, Timeline Theatre Company, through Nov. 12. We Yanks just can't get enough of Buckingham Palace gossip, and Peter Morgan is happy to serve up his silver-fork speculations in properly satisfactory manner. MSB
Fun Home, Victory Gardens Theater, through Nov. 12. Lisa Kron and Jeanine Tesori's Tony Award-winning musical adaptation of Alison Bechdel's 2006 graphic memoir is back. Broadway veteran Gary Griffin directs a gloriously intimate and heartbreaking production that musicalizes Bechdel's life as a budding lesbian in contrast to her closeted gay dad's troubled existence. SCM
Sylvester, or The Wicked Uncle, Lifeline Theatre, through Oct. 29. A regency romance framed in the visual device of a board game makes for extra playfulness in Christina Calvit's latest Georgette Heyer makeover. MSB
By Abarbanel, Barnidge and Morgan
This article shared 686 times since Wed Oct 11, 2017
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Federal judge rejects Tennessee's anti-drag law 2023-06-05|
- U.S. District Judge Thomas Parkerwho was appointed by former President Donald Trumpruled that Tennessee's anti-drag show law is unconstitutional, per NPR. Memphis-based LGBTQ+ theater company Friends of George's filed a ...
|GALECA reveals winners of inaugural Dorian Theater Awards 2023-06-02|
--From a press release - Thursday June 1, 2023 - The 35 members of GALECA: The Society of LGBTQ Entertainment Critics' theater wing announced the winners and finalists of its inaugural Dorian Theater Awards, honoring the best in Broadway and Off-Broadway ...
|THEATER 'Star Wars' burlesque parody at Logan Auditorium 2023-06-01|
- "The Empire Strips Back: A Burlesque Parody"—featuring an unmistakable Star Wars theme—is at Chicago's Logan Auditorium, 2539 N. Kedzie Ave., for an open-ended run. Featuring parodies of the classic fan-favorite ...
|Barela wins International Mr. Leather title 2023-05-30|
- IML45 came to an exciting close at the Auditorium Theater on Sunday Night as the title was awarded to Marcus Barela of Los Angeles, California. Chris Glc of Atlanta, Georgia was awarded first runner up, and ...
|IML 2023 begins 2023-05-26|
- Visitors from around the world gathered in the Florentine Room of the Congress Hotel on May 25 to kick off the opening ceremonies of the 2023 installment International Male Leather. The event was emceed by Thib ...
|About Face Theater hosts Leppen Leadership Awards 2023-05-23|
- On May 14, About Face Theater presented its Leppen Leadership Awards to members of the LGBTQ+ community for their activism and service. The organization normally awards two individuals a year but decided to expand this year, ...
|Hair coming to Skokie Theater June 23 - July 30 2023-05-20|
- Madkap Productions has announced the cast and creative team for the inaugural show of their 2023-24 season, the rock musical HAIR, with book and lyrics by Gerome Ragni and James Rado, and music by Gail MacDermot. ...
|SHOWBIZ Cynthia Erivo, 'Next Level' winner, 'All Out,' Madonna, Omar Ayuso 2023-05-19|
- LGBTQ+ actor Cynthia Erivo will star in a film adaptation of the theater sensation Prime Facie, Variety noted. Oscar nominee Erivo will take on the role originated on the West End (and, currently, on Broadway) by ...
|Belting for Life returns for an 8th edition 2023-05-18|
- On May 15, Jeff Award-winning director and activist Christopher Pazdernik celebrated his birthday with the eighth edition of Belting for Life, his annual Chicago-style theatrical concert and fundraiser for AIDS ...
|MUSIC Billy Porter talks 'Mona Lisa,' authenticity and activism 2023-05-15|
- Billy Porter certainly seems to have it all. The actor/singer/director received numerous awards—including two Tonys (for his role in Kinky Boots and as a producer of A Strange Loop), a Grammy (for Kinky Boots as well) ...
|Chicago Opera Theater announces new General Director Lawrence Edelson 2023-05-12|
--From a press release - May 12, 2023 (Chicago) — After a three-month nationwide search, the Chicago Opera Theater (COT) Board of Directors is pleased to announce that veteran artistic leader and stage director Lawrence Edelson has been named the next ...
|South Chicago Dance Theatre to debut 'Memoirs of Jazz' on June 10 2023-05-09|
--From a press release - (May 8, 2023) Through the 1960s and '70s, Jazz in the Alley on Chicago's South Side was a hotbed for jazz and a meeting place for some of the country's prominent musicians, visual artists, poets, activists, ...
|Chicago theaters hold memorial, will dim lights in honor of Frank Galati 2023-05-09|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (May 8, 2023) — Several major theatres across the Chicago-area will dim their marquees or lobby lights on the evening of Saturday, May 13, in tribute to late playwright, director, actor and educator Frank Galati, ...
|Kayla Boye's 'Call Me Elizabeth' to run at Venus Cabaret on June 16-18 2023-05-06|
--From a press release - Chicago—"Call Me Elizabeth," a one-woman show about the early life of Elizabeth Taylor, will be presented June 16—18 by KB Productions at Venus Cabaret Theater. Kayla Boye stars in and wrote the production; Michael Weber directs. ...
|SHOWBIZ Barry Manilow, 'The Kardashians,' gay Marine drama, Tonys, 'Unleashed' 2023-05-05|
- The Barry Manilow/Bruce Sussman production Harmony will make its Broadway bow in the 2023-24 season, beginning performances Oct. 18 at the Ethel Barrymore Theatre, with opening night on Nov. 13, according to Playbill. The musicalfeaturing music ...
|Artemis Singers' summer performance urges listeners to be 'defiantly optimistic' |
|NATIONAL North Carolina, 'Pride Heroes,' school news, gay publication folds, Iowa|
|WORLD Global survey, Turkey, Russians in Argentina, trans-rights activist|
|SHOWBIZ Romance films, Megan Thee Stallion, Keith Haring, Cher, George Maharis|
|THEATER 'Star Wars' burlesque parody at Logan Auditorium|