||Chicago and Rwandan Women Discuss HIV/AIDS
by Andrew Davis
This article shared 4637 times since Sun Jan 1, 2006
The Fairmont Hotel's Chancellor Room was the site of a historic forum that sought to empower women while tackling the issue of HIV/AIDS. On Dec. 1, approximately 100 individuals attended From Chicago to Rwanda: Empowering Women in the Fight Against AIDS, an event designed to discuss worldwide responses to the pandemic.
Lora Branch of the Chicago Department of Public Health moderated the HIV/AIDS discussion. At one point, Branch rattled off a number of sobering statistics, including that there are 4,225 women living with the disease in Chicagoand that Black and Hispanic females account for almost 90 percent of all HIV infections in teens and adult women in the city between 2003-'04.
Chicago-based physician Mardge Cohen and Rwandans Felicite Rwemarika and Naila Muganyinka talked about their work to increase women's access to HIV treatment through WE-ACTx, an international community-based initiative. Rwemarika is the study coordinator of RWISA ( the Rwandan Women's Interassociation Study and Assessment ) , an NIH-supported study of 900 HIV-infected women. Muganyinka, who is openly HIV-positive, not only receives care through the WE-ACTx program but is also part of the organization's staff in the food program. ( Also in attendance was Frank Mugisha, director of the WE-ACTx food program. )
In addition, Cynthia Tucker, AIDS Foundation of Chicago's ( AFC's ) director of grantmaking, discussed the South Side Women's Collaborative, an innovative program aimed at spreading the word about HIV prevention to African-American women. The collaborative involves the Chicago Women's AIDS Project, the Christian Community Health Center and the South Side Help Center.
AFC hosted the event.
This article shared 4637 times since Sun Jan 1, 2006
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Howard Brown developing new center in Northalsted area
- Howard Brown Health has chosen Inland National Development Company, LLC to develop its newest healthcare center in Chicago's Northalsted neighborhood (formerly known as Boystown), according to REJournals. There are plans ...
|Vulnerable communities slow to adopt key strategy to stop HIV's spread 2021-01-11|
--From a UCLA press release - LOS ANGELES — Taking a daily pill to prevent HIV transmission is one of the most effective biomedical strategies available to combat the virus' spread, yet use of this health regimen remains low among vulnerable communities ...
|National Minority AIDS Council responds to attack on U.S. Capitol 2021-01-06|
- Jan. 6, 2021 - National Minority AIDS Council (NMAC) Executive Director Paul Kawata has released the following statement on today's attack on the U.S. Capitol. "NMAC is completely saddened, sickened, and in total shock over the riots at the U.S. ...
|WORLD Lithuania outlook, HIV/AIDS and COVID, lawyer arrested, trans youth 2020-12-27|
- Lithuania appears set to legalize same-sex civil partnerships next year, but same-sex marriage could be up to a decade away, according to Tomas Raskevicius—the country's only openly LGBT+ lawmaker, Reuters reported. "We're going to submit t ...
|AIDS Garden projected for fall 2021 completion 2020-12-22|
- State Rep. Yoni Pizer convened a virtual meeting Dec. 21 to discuss the progress of the AIDS Garden Chicago. The long-planned site is "destined to become a true Chicago landmark and destination," said Pizer as he ...
|AIDS Garden Chicago installation update coming Dec. 21
- CHICAGO — On Monday, Dec. 21 at 11 a.m., 12th District State Representative Yoni Pizer will be hosting a virtual town hall with fellow elected officials, community partners, and project managers to provide a progress report ...
|AIDS Foundation Chicago, Cook County Health mark World AIDS Day 2020-11-30|
--From a press release - AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) and Cook County Health are collaborating for a special virtual event in honor of World AIDS Day, a global movement to increase public awareness and dialogue about HIV and AIDS, on Dec. ...
|Day With(out) Art: Transmissions launches online Nov. 30 2020-11-18|
--From a press release - NEW YORK, Nov. 16, 2020 — Visual AIDS, the only contemporary arts organization fully committed to raising AIDS and HIV awareness through dialogue, art exhibitions and public forums, announces their ...
|Congressional co-chairs introduce World AIDS Day resolution
- U.S. Reps. Barbara Lee (CA-13) and Rep. Jenniffer Gonzalez Colon (PR-At Large), co-chairs of the Congressional HIV/AIDS Caucus, introduced a bipartisan resolution supporting the goals of World AIDS Day, according ...
|Gov. Pritzker, Vanessa Williams to be at AFC's 'Gala35' Nov. 19 2020-11-13|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) marks its milestone 35th year of service with 'Gala35,' a virtual celebration and fundraiser taking place Thursday, Nov. 19, at 6 p.m. The event features an esteemed panel of guest ...
|Advocate Craig Johnson named next board chair of AIDS Foundation of Chicago
- In October, AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC)'s board of directors voted Craig W. Johnson as the next AFC board chair. Craig has served on the board since 2017, and most recently worked as board vice chair and ...
|AIDS Foundation of Chicago's 'Gala35' Nov. 19 2020-10-25|
- AIDS Foundation of Chicago's (AFC's) "Gala35"marking its 35th anniversarywill be a virtual event taking place Thursday, Nov. 19, at 6 p.m. Gala35 marks the organization's 35th year of service and will be its premier gatheri ...
|NATIONAL Autistic trans guide, trans death, AIDS Quilt, intersex study 2020-10-19|
- The National LGBTQ Task Force and the AWNNetwork released a collaborative guide, "Before You Go: Know Your Rights & What to Expect at the Doctor and in the Hospital"a groundbreaking first-of-its-kind publication filled with tips and ...
|TPAN names Colleen O'Neill as its new CEO
- TPAN has announced the hiring of Colleen O'Neill as its new CEO to assist in empowering the organization to continue to provide care and far-reaching education to people affected by HIV/AIDS, hepatitis and all related issues, ...
|Nat'l AIDS Memorial to launch 50-state AIDS Memorial Quilt Virtual Exhibition 2020-10-09|
--From a press release - SAN FRANCISCO (October 9, 2020) — The National AIDS Memorial is announcing a virtual exhibition of the AIDS Memorial Quilt (the Quilt) that will feature more than 10,000 Quilt panels representing all 50 state and U.S. ...