||Chicago and Rwandan Women Discuss HIV/AIDS
by Andrew Davis
This article shared 4964 times since Sun Jan 1, 2006
The Fairmont Hotel's Chancellor Room was the site of a historic forum that sought to empower women while tackling the issue of HIV/AIDS. On Dec. 1, approximately 100 individuals attended From Chicago to Rwanda: Empowering Women in the Fight Against AIDS, an event designed to discuss worldwide responses to the pandemic.
Lora Branch of the Chicago Department of Public Health moderated the HIV/AIDS discussion. At one point, Branch rattled off a number of sobering statistics, including that there are 4,225 women living with the disease in Chicagoand that Black and Hispanic females account for almost 90 percent of all HIV infections in teens and adult women in the city between 2003-'04.
Chicago-based physician Mardge Cohen and Rwandans Felicite Rwemarika and Naila Muganyinka talked about their work to increase women's access to HIV treatment through WE-ACTx, an international community-based initiative. Rwemarika is the study coordinator of RWISA ( the Rwandan Women's Interassociation Study and Assessment ) , an NIH-supported study of 900 HIV-infected women. Muganyinka, who is openly HIV-positive, not only receives care through the WE-ACTx program but is also part of the organization's staff in the food program. ( Also in attendance was Frank Mugisha, director of the WE-ACTx food program. )
In addition, Cynthia Tucker, AIDS Foundation of Chicago's ( AFC's ) director of grantmaking, discussed the South Side Women's Collaborative, an innovative program aimed at spreading the word about HIV prevention to African-American women. The collaborative involves the Chicago Women's AIDS Project, the Christian Community Health Center and the South Side Help Center.
AFC hosted the event.
This article shared 4964 times since Sun Jan 1, 2006
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|WTTW doc chronicles the activism of Danny Sotomayor 2023-11-03|
- Practically everything the late Chicago AIDS activist Danny Sotomayor did was "a fight." So says fellow activist Victor Salvo in the new WTTW documentary The Outrage of Danny Sotomayor, which is part of the station's Chicago ...
|World AIDS Day event at AIDS Garden Chicago Dec. 1 2023-10-31|
- Since 1988, communities around the world have stood together on World AIDS Day to show continued strength and solidarity against HIV/AIDS. We gather for awareness and for understanding of HIV/AIDS, for compassion and love for those ...
|BOOKS Writer/HIV survivor Mark S. King talks about 'My Fabulous Disease' 2023-10-20|
- For decades, HIV survivor and GLAAD Award-winning writer Mark S. King has penned the blog "My Fabulous Disease"a warts-and-all look at his life covering everything from an encounter with an armed crystal-meth addict to a major ...
|32nd Chicago AIDS Walk/Run takes off at Soldier Field 2023-10-04|
- The 32nd annual AIDS Run & Walk Chicago took place Sept. 30 from Soldier Field, this year with the motto "Show Up, Show Out.” About 2,500 participants—with a united goal of reaching $500,000 for local organizations ...
|AIDS Run & Walk Chicago 2023 to draw thousands to Soldier Field on Sept. 30 2023-09-09|
- The AIDS Run & Walk Chicago returns to Chicago's Soldier Field on Saturday, Sept. 30 to help create equity and justice across Chicagoland and raise awareness and funds for individuals who are living with or vulnerable ...
|Chicago Dancers United raises more than $365K at Dance for Life 2023-08-29|
- Chicago Dancers United (CDU)which supports the health and wellness of Chicago's professional dance communitywelcomed 1,600 people to the 32nd annual Dance for Life on Aug. 19 at Auditorium Theatre, per ...
|New guidelines increase HIV antiretroviral options 2023-08-26|
- The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) is expanding its recommendation for HIV antiretrovirals because more options are available on the market, according to MedScape. The guidance, published Aug. 22 in JAMA, updates the group's prev ...
|'Show up, Show out!' 32nd Annual AIDS Run & Walk Chicago on Sept. 30 2023-08-07|
--From a press release - (Chicago, IL) Registration is now open for the 32nd annual AIDS Run & Walk Chicago (ARWC) presented by AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) on Saturday, September 30 at Soldier Field. "Show up, Show Out" is this year's ...
|Chicago House indulges in Champagne Wrapture 2023-08-06|
- Chicago House's annual fundraiser, Champagne Wrapture, returned to the Windy City the evening of Aug. 3. The event was held at 600 N. Fairbanks Court on the rooftop deck and featured a silent auction, free-flowing champagne, ...
|LGBTQ+ cycling club builds both community and awareness 2023-08-01|
By Charlie Kolodziej - For the second summer in a row, Cruise Chi, Chicago's new LGBTQ+ cycling club, has been fostering a sense of community while supporting queer- and trans-advocacy. The group, led by co-founders Alton Deon and Shai Garcia, ...
|Gilead prevails in HIV antitrust suit brought by consumers 2023-07-01|
- On June 30, pharmaceutical giant Gilead Sciences triumphed over consumers in a $3.6-billion class-action suit that claimed the company deliberately manipulated the market in order to profit off of its expensive HIV treatment drugs, Courthouse News ...
|PASSAGES Artist Stash Kybartas 2023-06-17|
- Stashu Kybartas, a video artist who also worked in installation and performance art, passed away May 17 at his home in Chicago. Robert Colucci, his husband of 48 years, was with him at the time of ...
|NATIONAL Google Doodle, drag laureate, Nebraska bill, NYC AIDS Walk 2023-05-26|
- D.C. poet/activist/journalist Ivy Young passed away at age 75, per a press release. Among other things, Young worked at Chicago's VISTA; the Center for Black Education and Drum and Spear Book Store in D.C.; the ...
|TaskForce Chicago's ED talks organization, AIDS stigma and queerness 2023-05-25|
- Among the many organizations helping Chicago youths is TaskForce Prevention & Community Services. The West Side-based organization helps hundreds of youths by being committed to addressing the HIV/STI-related needs of ...
|HB 1286 would allow gender-inclusive multi-occupancy restrooms, Chicago groups respond 2023-05-19|
--From a press release - Statement from AIDS Foundation Chicago, Equality Illinois, and Pride Action Tank regarding HB 1286 to allow gender-inclusive multi-occupancy restrooms: We applaud the Illinois Senate for passing HB 1286 and urge the Illinois House to act expeditiously ...