WINDY CITY TIMES
This article shared 1568 times since Wed Sep 26, 2012
33 Variations, TimeLine at Stage 773, through Oct. 21. Beethoven, a musical researcher and a concert pianist join forces for a theatrical look at two people at their creative peaks who are dying. They have relationship issues, too, and the pianist plays Beethoven's variations live. JA
Marvin's Room, Circle Theatre, through Sept. 30. The comic timing might not be as fine-tuned as it should be, but this laugh-filled drama involving family, disease and the ever-present threat of death is a lasting tribute to the late gay playwright Scott McPherson. SCM
Wrens, Rivendell Theatre Ensemble, through Oct. 13. Author Anne McGravie was there and witnessed it firsthand, making for bunker-drama suspense and sorority in a Scottish barracks, when her squad of servicewomen are confronted with an injured comrade-in-arms needing their support during the final days of World War II. MSB
Xanadu, Drury Lane Theatre, Oakbrook Terrace, through Oct. 28. Thank out playwright Douglas Carter Beane for creating a comically campy new script for this hit 2007 Broadway jukebox musical that lovingly savages the bizarre original 1980 film involving muses and a roller disco. SCM
By Abarbanel, Barnidge
This article shared 1568 times since Wed Sep 26, 2012
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|SHOWBIZ Superman, TheWrap, Oscar Wilde, Billy Porter, Cher, 'Dragula' 2021-10-17|
- The ongoing comic Superman: Son of Kal-El, by writer Tom Taylor and artist John Timms, launched in July and saw Jon Kent officially take up the mantle of the Man of Steel now that his father, ...
|Theater review: This Wide Night 2021-10-17|
- Title: This Wide Night. Playwright: Chloe Moss At: Shattered Globe Theatre/Interrobang Theatre Project at Theater Wit, 1229 W. Belmont Ave. Tickets: $25-$45; SGTheatre.org. Runs through: Nov. 13 The landlord calls ...
|MUSICALS 'Pretty Woman' tickets go on sale Oct. 15 2021-10-15|
- After a pre-Broadway run in Chicago and being on Broadway, Pretty Woman: The Musical, based on one of Hollywood's most beloved romantic stories of all time, returns to Chicago. The production will run at the CIBC ...
|THEATER Broken Nose presenting looter drama 'Primer' Nov. 15-Dec. 5 2021-10-15|
- Broken Nose Theatre, a pay-what-you-can theater company, will run the world premiere audio drama Primer, described in a release as "a deeply honest look at the prioritization of property over people. Ensemble member Spenser Davis wrote ...
|THEATER 'A Rocky Horror Picture Party' at The Den on Oct. 30-31 2021-10-12|
- Haven is presenting Science Fiction / Double Feature: A Rocky Horror Picture Partyan immersive Halloween experience that brings to life in vivid technicolor the world of the cult-classic filmdirected by ...
|THEATER Rivendell's '8:46' to run Oct. 21-23, stream Nov. 1 2021-10-12|
- Rivendell Theatre Ensemble (RTE)Chicago's only Equity theater dedicated to producing new work with women at the coreannounced 8:46 (Breathing Room), a new play festival of four commissioned plays each eight ...
|COMEDY Janeane Garofalo at The Den Theatre on Nov. 19-20 2021-10-12|
- The Den Theatre will present comedian Janeane Garofalo for four performances on Nov. 19-20 (at 7 and 9:30 p.m. each night) on The Heath Mainstage, 1331 N. Milwaukee Ave. Garofalo has had many memorable and critically ...
|DRAG Utica Queen finds a home in Chicago 2021-10-12|
- Ethan Mundt rose to fame as Utica Queen in season 13 of the Emmy-winning show RuPaul's Drag Race. Ultimately placing sixth in the competition, this young, gay 25-year-old showed creativity and personality. Mundt's latest project, Homecoming ...
|THEATER 'Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog' running through Nov. 6 2021-10-12|
- Black Button Eyes Productions is welcoming back live audiences with the popular internet musical Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog—an authorized fan production to benefit the Chicago charity Season of Concern—playing through ...
|THEATER 'I'm Not A Comedian… I'm Lenny Bruce' returns Nov. 5 2021-10-08|
- Theatre 68 and the Venus Cabaret Theater, 3745 N. Southport Ave., announced the return of the critically acclaimed production, I'm Not A Comedian… I'm Lenny Bruce, to Chicago beginning Friday, Nov. 5. Ronnie Marmo wrote and ...
|THEATER REVIEW Songs for Nobodies 2021-10-07|
- Title: Songs for Nobodies. Playwright: Joanna Murray-Smith At: Northlight Theatre at the North Shore Center for the Arts, 9501 Skokie Blvd. Tickets: $30-$89. Runs through: Sunday, Oct. 31 You won't find their names in the history ...
|Chicago Inclusion Project offers anti-racism workshops for arts organizations 2021-10-05|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL—The staff of The Chicago Inclusion Project is excited to launch a new workshop and continuum developed by staff members Jessica Vann and Arti Ishak. The workshop, entitled "Being Anti-Racist: An Active Action," is designed ...
|THEATER REVIEW: American Mariachi 2021-10-02|
- Title: American Mariachi. Playwright: Jose Cruz Gonzalez At: Goodman Theatre, 170 N. Dearborn St. Tickets: $25-$98; GoodmanTheatre.org. Runs through: Oct. 24 From the first moment, when a shrill "grito" proclaims the commencement of a Mariachi bolero, ...
|THEATER REVIEW Thirteen Days 2021-09-29|
- Thirteen Days. adapted by Brian Pastor from the book by Robert F. Kennedy At: City Lit Theatre at Edgewater Presbyterian Church, 1030 West Bryn Mawr Ave., Tickets: $27-$32. Runs through: Oct. 24 Palace Intrigue has been ...
|THEATER 'The Last Pair of Earlies' running Oct. 27-Dec. 12 at Raven 2021-09-28|
- Raven Theatre, Chicago's newest Equity-affiliated theatre, is welcoming back audiences this fall with the world premiere of Joshua Allen's The Last Pair of Earlies, directed by Wardell Julius Clark. This new dramawhich follows the hardships ...