WINDY CITY TIMES
||CDC LGBT report shows high number of smokers
Special to the online edition of Windy City Times
This article shared 2906 times since Tue Sep 25, 2012
A CDC (U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) analysis of data from the 2009-2010 National Adult Tobacco Survey showed that with the exception of pipes, tobacco use was significantly higher among LGBT respondents when compared to the general population, according to a press release from Fenway Health.
The survey found that 32.8 percent of LGBT people nationally smoke cigarettes; 12.2 percent smoke cigars/cigarillos/small cigars; and 38.5 percent report using any tobacco. Among non-LGBT respondents, those rates fell to 19.5 percent for cigarettes; 6.6 percent for cigars/cigarillos/small cigars; and 25.2 percent for any tobacco use.
Scout, Ph.D., director of The Network for LGBT Health, said, "It's clearer than ever that tobacco use is one of the largest single health burdens on the LGBT community.
"On a daily level, this means smoking and secondhand smoke is taking our health and too often, our lives. I look forward to the day when every tobacco control program includes LGBT tailored work and every tobacco industry marketing program doesn't."
This article shared 2906 times since Tue Sep 25, 2012
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|WORLD German bishops, trans woman's death, Hungary, human-rights event 2023-03-18|
- Germany's Catholic bishops voted (38 to nine, with 11 abstentions) to adopt formal ceremonies for the blessing of same-sex relationships, defying the Vatican and testing church unity on what has become one of the most contentious ...
|NATIONAL Ritchie Torres, N.J. towns, Karine Jean-Pierre, Tennessee items 2023-03-18|
- New York Congressman Ritchie Torres has talked about his own struggle with depression and the importance of mental health in the wake of U.S. Sen. John Fetterman (D-Pa.)'s recent hospitalization for clinical depression, The Washington Blade ...
|Arkansas governor signs anti-trans medical malpractice bill 2023-03-15|
- Republican Arkansas Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders signed into law a measure that makes it easier to sue providers of gender-affirming care for children, ABC News reported. This move, involving a law that will take effect this ...
|Study: Outcomes for children similar regardless of the LGBTQ+ identity of the children's parents 2023-03-10|
--From a press release - NEW YORK — This week a new report was released by BMJ Global Health examining outcomes between LGBTQ+ families and families headed by heterosexual couples. The report, a literature review and synthesis of dozens of academic ...
|NATIONAL Folx Health, gay mayor arrested, powerlifter's suit, Versace visit 2023-03-10|
- Boston-based Folx Healthwhich provides primary healthcare services and gender-affirming healthcare to LGBTQIA peoplemade Fast Company's list of the world's 50 most innovative businesses. A few of the other healthcare companies ...
|Minn. governor signs order protecting gender-affirming healthcare 2023-03-10|
- At a time when so many political officials seem to be backing anti-LGBTQ+ measures, Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz is doing just the opposite. On March 8, Walz signed an executive order protecting the rights of LGBTQ+ ...
|Study examines straight men and their sexual attraction to transgender women 2023-03-09|
--From a press release - An analysis of online Reddit conversations also revealed a paradox: the same men devalue both trans and cisgender women Some straight men said they sexually desire transgender women because of the women's supposed hyper-feminine traits. Brandon ...
|Billy Masters: Raunchier Uncoupled on the rebound with Showtime 2023-03-06|
- "I never liked when she did this in concerts either. I don't like when females are overly sexualized in art. It degrades and objectivy's [sic] women in a way that's not healthy." TJ Jackson on reports ...
|LGBTQ+ groups criticize Tenn. bill that bans access to medical care for trans youth 2023-03-03|
--From a press release - NASHVILLE — On March 2, Tennessee Governor Bill Lee signed into law HB1/SB1, a bill that prohibits transgender-related healthcare in Tennessee for people under the age of 18. The bill is set to take effect on ...
|Raoul, IDHR issue guidance on protections against bias related to pregnancy, reproductive health 2023-03-02|
--From a press release - Chicago — Illinois Attorney General Kwame Raoul and the Illinois Department of Human Rights (IDHR) today released a guide on the state's protections against discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth, and ...
|Tennessee to ban drag shows; governor asked about '77 drag photo 2023-02-28|
- Tennessee will ban some drag performances as well as gender-affirming healthcare for trans minors after state House lawmakers sent both bills to Republican Gov. Bill Lee to sign, The Hill reported. Republican state Senate Majority Leader ...
|WORLD Prison HIV study, trans soldier injured, Bollywood, British LGBT Awards 2023-02-24|
- In Zambia, a high uptake of HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) is possible in prison populations that have adequate resources and support from the criminal-justice health system, according to an AJMC (The American Journal of Managed Care) ...
|WORLD Japanese poll, Sydney Mardi Gras, mpox, rugby study, soccer player 2023-02-19|
- Sixty-four percent of respondents to a Kyodo News poll believe same-sex marriage should be recognized in Japan, the media outlet noted. In the telephone survey, 88.4% also said recent remarks hostile to LGBTQ+ people by a ...
|Gov. Pritzker Proposes $5M cut to state HIV funding 2023-02-17|
--From a press release - Feb. 16, 2023—Speaking before a joint session of the Illinois General Assembly for the first time since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, Governor JB Pritzker delivered his annual State of the State and Budget address ...
|Federal Bureau of Prisons provides bureau's first gender affirming surgery to Donna Langan 2023-02-16|
--From a press release - Carswell, TX - Transgender prisoner Donna Langan is ready to announce that she is gratefully recovering from the first gender confirming surgery (GCS) ever performed on a prisoner held in a US Federal Prison. Ms. Langan, ...