WINDY CITY TIMES
||Body Hack presents Nuestros Lazos Festival for and by trans and queer people of color
-- From a press release
This article shared 623 times since Wed Nov 30, 2022
This December, Body Hack joins forces with Kiki House of Prince, for the first time to create a spectacular festival complete with panels, workshops, the long awaited Maxi Kiki Ball and a dope afterparty, done Body Hack style! Through the activities around Nuestros Lazos Kiki Ball, we seek to provide relevant information and generate support networks with civil organizations that fight to eradicate the stigma against HIV in society; in the same way, to bring a positive message about the value of bodies and experiences of diverse people through art and performance.
Nuestros Lazos is a fundraising initiative that kicks off on World AIDS Day, bringing together community to benefit and celebrate our poz family. In this space, trans folks, people from the LGBTIQ+ community in general, migrants, afro-descendants, racialized people and more, who have found through Ballroom a platform for art and visibility, come together in a celebration of their identities, as well as in commemoration of the struggles that, as communities, continue to affect them. This year we are raising funds for Jóvenes Cambiando VIHdas, a network of mutual support by and for young people and adolescents living with HIV in Peru.
HIV is an important issue within the Ballroom community, as it is home to people living with the virus who are constantly struggling to cope with a society that discriminates against people based on their HIV status. This reality is faced through actions and information from our platforms, since it is necessary and imperative to impact the community and society in general to maintain an active and visible fight regarding this cause.
Originally a happy hour for trans and nonbinary people set in a tiny Brooklyn dive bar, Body Hack has grown into a transnational project seeking to model a world where trans communities can thrive interdependently. Now a collective, Body Hack throws parties in-person and virtually over Zoom, creating dedicated spaces for trans people to gather, celebrate, and extend support to one another. Each party doubles as a fundraiser for a trans-related initiative, raising over $100k across 20 events in the last three years.
Established in 2019, Kiki House of Prince is the Pioneer house of the Peruvian ballroom scene.
They have organized some of the first balls in Peru, and are disseminators of ballroom culture as a form of resistance and community development. Kiki House of Prince has the support of institutions such as Harvard University, Cayetano Heredia University, UCLA and UNAIDS; which, through our network of contacts, will participate in the events that seek to generate awareness, education, prevention and community outreach for the optimal and responsible development of our event and ball.
For more information or to schedule interviews or site visits, please contact viento izquierdo ugaz (firstname.lastname@example.org ).
Detailed Information for Nuestros Lazos presented by Body Hack and Kiki House of Prince can be found here: www.instagram.com/p/ClUX2n3uskv/ .
We invite you to be part of this dream come trueby attending, walking, supporting, and donating towards this initiative. No matter where in the world you are, show your love to this transnational project of love and solidarity for queer and trans family.
This article shared 623 times since Wed Nov 30, 2022
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Equality Illinois responds to violence, murder of Black and Brown trans people on the south side 2023-01-25|
--From a press release - Statement by Myles Brady Davis, Director of Communications at Equality Illinois, the state's civil rights organization for LGBTQ+ people, regarding the violences and murders of Black and Brown trans people on the south side of Chicago: ...
|NATIONAL Calif. bills, DeSantis, HIV vaccine, Meta, college items 2023-01-22|
- Buried within the bills California legislators filed after Gov. Gavin Newsom released his budget proposal for the 2023-2024 fiscal year is a line seeking to retrieve $13 million back from the state's Transgender Wellness and Equity ...
|Theater Review: tick, tick...BOOM! 2023-01-19|
- One of the wonders of live theater is that old works can be revived and reinterpreted to respond to changes in culture and society. Often a new directorial approach can make tried-and-true material feel fresh and ...
|GLAAD announces nominees for 34th Annual GLAAD Media Award 2023-01-18|
--From a press release. Video below - Jan. 18, 2023 - GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, today announced the nominees for the 34th Annual GLAAD Media Awards. ...
|NATIONAL Asylum-seekers, equality updates, cannabis, HIV and COVID 2023-01-15|
- Advocacy groups that specifically work with LGBTQI+ asylum-seekers and migrants criticized the Biden administration's expansion of the use of "expedited removal" of Cubans, Nicaraguans, Haitians and Venezuelans who enter the ...
|WORLD Murder suspect arrested, Israeli official, conversion therapy, couple's win 2023-01-08|
- Kenyan authorities arrested a suspect in the death of fashion designer/LGBTQ+-rights activist Edwin Chiloba after his body was found dumped in a metal box by the roadside near the town of Eldoret, according to CNN. Last ...
|NATIONAL Democrats and trans issues, political wins, gay bars, HIV drug 2023-01-08|
- Republicans and Democrats differ widely in their views on gender identity and transgender issuesbut there are notable differences among Democrats, too, especially by race and ethnicity, according to Pew Research. Overall, 60% of U.S. adults say ...
|Brave Space Alliance to Illinois General Assembly: Don't back down on trans protections 2023-01-04|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO, IL - January 4, 2023 - Brave Space Alliance (BSA), the South Side LGBTQ+ Center, has been made aware of active discussions to exclude protections for trans people and gender-affirming care from pending legislation that ...
|WORLD Conversion therapy, Indian school, trans boxers, anti-LGBTQ+ move 2022-12-31|
- South Florida Gay News noted that efforts to ban so-called conversion therapy gained a lot of traction around the world in 2022. For example, Canada and France introduced LGBTQ+-inclusive bills to ban conversion therapy for minors ...
|In memoriam: LGBTQ community obituaries 2022 2022-12-27|
- The LGBTQ community lost many members in 2022, including at least 35 people in incidents of hate violence against individual transgender people and against patrons of the Club Q bar in Colorado. Here are other memorable ...
|WORLD Scottish pro-trans law, Ukrainian bill, trans activist, Olympics 2022-12-24|
- On Dec. 22, Scotland's parliament approved disputed reforms that make it easier for trans people to change their legal gender, including removing the need for a medical diagnosis of gender dysphoria and lowering the minimum age ...
|NATIONAL Office vandalized, George Santos, HRC official dies at 24, law students 2022-12-24|
- Protestors vandalized an openly gay New York City Council member's office and entered his apartment building, The Advocate reported. Erik Bottcher—whose district includes Greenwich Village, Chelse and Hell's Kitchen, among ...
|Life Is Work, Brave Space Alliance to distribute Grubhub gift cards 2022-12-21|
- Life Is Work (LIW)—a Black and Brown trans-led social services and advocacy organization on Chicago's West Side—is collaborating with community partner and South Side trans- and Black-led organization Brave Space ...
|NATIONAL Testifying in D.C., Brittney Griner, marriage law, school policies 2022-12-18|
- WARNING: This week's news contains graphic content. Survivors of the Club Q shooting in Colorado Springs that killed five people and injured approximately 20 others joined GLAAD and other advocates in providing testimony before the House ...
|WORLD Ghana funding, Latvia measure, Russia items, trans princess 2022-12-18|
- Some Western governments who pledged to support LGBTQI+ rights have also funded supporters of a controversial bill in Ghana that could introduce harsh sentences for advocating for sexual and gender minorities' rights, CNN reported. In the ...