||Beenie Man Denies Homophobia
This article shared 4657 times since Tue Oct 1, 2002
Jamaican reggae star Beenie Man says he's not a homophobe, worldpop.com reported Sept. 10. The British activist group OutRage! called a boycott of Beenie's new single, "Feel It Boy," a duet with Janet Jackson, charging that earlier Beenie Man tunes advocated murdering homosexuals.
"My single has nothing to do with gay people," Beenie told worldpop. "It's not killing no gay people, it's not looking out against gay people. I have nothing to say against gay people. The more guys that are gay means more girls for me. I don't know why they're against my single."
He said accusations that his earlier songs advocated killing "chi chi men," Jamaican slang for gays, were incorrect.
"They come and say we say chi chi man, and we cuss gays as chi chi men. Chi chi man is the name of a person, it's the prime minister," he said. "We wanna cuss the Jamaican prime minister but we cannot say the prime minister's name on record because you be going to jail. You call him a chi chi man. It's not like we cussing nobody else, we cussing the Prime Minister. We have nothing to say about gay people, everybody's just getting the wrong idea."
This article shared 4657 times since Tue Oct 1, 2002
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|LGBTQ+ youth advocates call for action after increased bullying reports 2021-11-24|
- Officials from LGBTQ+-advocacy organizations Equality Illinois, Illinois Safe Schools Alliance, Rainbow Cafe and Youth Outlook announced a sharp increase in the number of bullying incidents directed against LGBTQ+ students across ...
|HHS acts to prevent discrimination, strengthen civil rights 2021-11-19|
--From a press release - Washington D.C. — Today, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) through the Administration for Children and Families (ACF) and Office for Civil Rights (OCR), announced actions to further ...
|"Safe Schools For All" to help students take action against bullying 2021-11-17|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON — As schools and school districts across the country face hostile protests of LGBTQI+ inclusive education, students who are experiencing discrimination, bullying and harassment based on their sexual orientation ...
|More than a quarter of LGBT state, local employees face discrimination at work 2021-11-16|
--From a Williams Institute press release - More than one-quarter of LGBT state and local employees have experienced discrimination at work About half of LGBT people who work in education and law enforcement are not out to their supervisors Over 600,000 LGBT employees ...
|New study reveals disparities for LGBTQ+ seniors 2021-10-07|
- Although many LGBTQ+ seniors have lived through the arc of the LGBTQ-rights movement, they are nevertheless often forgotten in conversations about discrimination. A new study is shedding light on that omission. AARP Illinois and SAGE Research's ...
|Born Perfect, Enfranchisement release all-star video combating conversion therapy 2021-10-06|
--From a press release. Video below - SAN FRANCISCO, CA — BOBBY'S BIG PROBLEM, produced by Born Perfect and Enfranchisement, was released today digitally, featuring a celebrity cast, including Patton Oswalt, D'Arcy Carden, Jasika Nicole, and RB Butcher. The video tells the stor ...
|LGBTQ blood donation discrimination assessed, PULSE shootings cited 2021-09-21|
--From a press release - Chicago, Ill. — Last week, Reps. Mike Quigley (IL-05), Val B. Demings (FL-10), Carolyn B. Maloney (NY-12), Adam B. Schiff (CA-28), Barbara Lee (CA-13), and Ritchie Torres (NY-15) received a ...
|One in ten LGBT workers experienced discrimination at work in the last year 2021-09-07|
- LGBT employees of color were more likely to report being denied jobs and verbal harassment A new study by the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law finds an estimated 46% of LGBT workers have experienced ...
|WORLD Anti-TGNC vote, #VeryGayRaptor, Brazilian governor, Scottish poll 2021-09-05|
- In Australia, the government voted down workplace protections for transgender, non-binary and intersex people, OutInPerth.com reported. The senate was considering the Sex Discrimination and Fair Work (Respect at Work) Amendment ...
|Ukraine president promises to fight for LGBTQ rights 2021-09-02|
- On Sept. 1, the president of Ukraine said his country will continue to fight anti-LGBTQ discrimination, The Washington Blade reported. "With U.S. support, Ukraine will continue to advance respect for human rights, civil liberties and fundamental ...
|Gov. Pritzker signs legislation to prevent hair discrimination in schools 2021-08-13|
--From a press release - CHICAGO - On Aug. 13, Gov. JB Pritzker signed Senate Bill 817 into law, prohibiting schools from issuing policies on hairstyles historically associated with race or ethnicity. The legislation addresses injustices in dress code polices and ...
|Bill would expose schools that discriminate against LGBTQ students 2021-07-29|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON, D.C. — Today, Assistant Speaker Katherine Clark (MA-5) and Representatives Chris Pappas (NH-1), Sharice Davids (KS-3), and Mondaire Jones (NY-17) introduced the Exposing Discrimination in ...
|VIEWS U.S. Senators: It's time to act against anti-LGBTQ discrimination 2021-07-28|
- Georgia has had the eyes of the nation on it for some time now. It's just over five years since people across Georgia braced themselves as lawmakers sent sweeping anti-LGBTQ legislation to the desk of then-Governor ...
|Research: LGBTQ people of color meet more discrimination, Equality Act an urgent need 2021-07-21|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON, D.C. — Discrimination inflicts profoundly greater harm on LGBTQ people of color in a wide range of areas, according to recent analysis of scholarly research released by the National Black Justice Coalition, National Center for ...
|WORLD Poland march, Google's donation, Ireland incidents, True Colors 2021-06-20|
- In Poland, thousands marched through central Warsaw on June 19 in an "Equality Parade" demanding an end to discrimination against the LGBT communityamid what campaigners said has been a rising tide of homophobia in the country ...