by Gregg Shapiro
This article shared 2323 times since Wed Nov 19, 2003
So much depends on the "Price Of Love," and the loping beats and repeated question ("What's the price of love got to do with love?") of the song that first brought this anonymous female duo to our attention actually pays off in the form of a hot-wired self-titled full-length album (Toast Hawaii/Mute). Ideally suited to be the first act signed to Toast Hawaii, Depeche Mode's Andy Fletcher's label, Client, who "never miss a trick" and go by the names Client A and Client B, revive the new wave nuances that first made DM so appealing, but they do it from a female perspective. When they declare that "Rock and roll is all I wanna do," on "Rock And Roll Machine," they do it in a most rock and roll-like setting, but you can't help but believe they are being sincere. Cold and deadpan on a song such as "Happy" ("I'm happy./She's happy./So why the f*ck are you not happy?") and "Diary of An 18 Year Old Boy," in which adolescent sexual longing is recited over an electroclash beat, Client also reveals their emotional side on "Here And Now," approach sticky sweetness on "Sugar Candy Kisses," and sideswipe seductiveness on "Love All Nite." SEE ALSO: WIT (Electro Mogul)
"Finally some fun stuff," the "official Fanny Pack joint," So Stylistic (Tommy Boy) is so funny, you better take it seriously. Cat, Belinda and Jessibel add Salt, Pepa, hot sauce, and some catnip to their electroclash TLC jams, and if you aren't on your feet yet, they're likely to pull the chair out from under your ass. Imagine if Le Tigre was street and not academic, femmy and not feminist, and you have a good idea of Fanny Pack's style. Beats and bad attitudes merge on "Hey Mami," where the dicks get dissed, and "The Theme From Fanny Pack" made me wish these girls had their own Saturday morning cartoon show. "Cameltoe," a song about frontal wedgies, is easily the funniest song to ever inspire squirming and squinting, and downright discomfort and dancing. The spoken interludes ("Bunnies," "Hippopotamus," and "Brooklyn Public") are entertaining, but it is musical numbers such as "Things," "Boom Boom," "Smack It Up," "System Boomin," and "All Around," Fanny Pack's "least favorite song on the record," which will make you want to wrap these tunes around your waist.
This article shared 2323 times since Wed Nov 19, 2003
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|MOVIES 'George Michael: Freedom Uncut' to be released June 22 2022-05-24|
- Sony Music Entertainment and Trafalgar Releasing will release the movie George Michael: Freedom Uncut as a global event on Wed., June 22and it's fitting that the documentary about the late gay singer will air during Pride ...
|Siskel to show 'Judy Garland Summer Centennial Retrospective' 2022-05-23|
- This June and July, the Gene Siskel Film Center, 164 N. State St., will celebrate Judy Garland to mark the 100th anniversary of her birth (June 10, 1922). The Judy Garland Summer Centennial Retrospective will involve ...
|THEATER Musical 'Get Out Alive' running July 8-Aug. 7 2022-05-23|
- Haven will continue its 2021-22 season with Nikki Lynette's multidisciplinary afrogoth musical Get Out Alive, co-directed by Roger Ellis and Lucky Stiff, which features the writer and her personal journey with mental health. The production will ...
|Lakeside Pride to present 'Sweet Home Chicago" May 29, part of Pride Bands Alliance Conference 2022-05-23|
-- From a press release - On Sunday, May 29 at 7pm, Chicago's Auditorium Theatre will host the culmination of the 40th annual Pride Bands Alliance conference. Chicago's Lakeside Pride is welcoming Pride Bands Alliance members from its family of 38 affiliate ...
|SHOWBIZ Broadway, JoJo Siwa, WEHO Pride, 'Jurassic World,' Madonna 2022-05-22|
- The Broadway League announced that all 41 Broadway theaters in New York City have extended the current mask requirement for audiences through at least June 30, Playbill noted. Charlotte St. Martin, president of The Broadway League, ...
|SHOWBIZ Queer playwright, LGBTQ+ films, BMI Pop Awards, new superhero 2022-05-15|
- Jeremy O. Harris, the queer Tony-nominated author of Slave Play, has been named the presiding playwright for the 2023 Yale Drama Series Prizeone of the theater world's most prestigious playwriting honors, Deadline noted. Harris joins the ...
|Inaugural Heatwave Music Festival in Chicago on July 16-17 2022-05-14|
- Auris Presents announced the debut edition and artist lineup for the Heatwave Music Festival, coming to Chicago on July 16-17 in Douglass Park, 1401 S. Sacramento Dr. According to a press release, the festival will be ...
|MUSIC Ty Herndon releasing 'personal' album 'Jacob' on July 15 2022-05-13|
- Out gay Grammy-nominated and Dove Award-winning country artist Ty Herndon announced the release date of his forthcoming album, Jacob. Jacobcalled Herndon's "most personal album to date"will be out July 15. ...
|Casting announced for 'Queer Eye: The Musical Parody' at Second City 2022-05-13|
- Comedy institution The Second City announced the cast and crew of Queer Eye: The Musical Parody, which will start running Thursday, May 26. (The production will run Thursdays through Saturdays at 8 p.m. and Sundays at ...
|MUSIC Riot Fest to take place Sept. 16-18 in Chicago 2022-05-12|
- Riot Festone of the largest remaining independent festivals in the countryis slated to return to Douglass Park on Sept. 16-18. Festival organizers revealed a jam-packed lineup taking up five stages and performing punk, indie rock, hip-hop, ...
|57th Street Art Fair marking 75th anniversary on June 4-5 2022-05-12|
- The 57th Street Art Fair, the Midwest's oldest juried art fair, will mark its 75th anniversary with an in-person celebration on June 4-5 featuring nearly 200 artists, live music presented by Buddy Guy's Legends, and a ...
|THEATER Underscore's 'Notes & Letters' running through May 28 2022-05-12|
- Underscore Theatre Company celebrates its 10th-anniversary season with the world premiere of the musical Notes & Letters, which features book, music and lyrics by Annabelle Lee Revak (she/her) and is ...
|Chicago Gay Men's Chorus to present 'Unimaginable' on May 20-22 2022-05-11|
- The Chicago Gay Men's Chorus will present the spring show "CGMC: Unimaginable," on May 20-22 at three Chicagoland venues. The performances will take place Friday, May 20, at 8 p.m. at Chicago's Athenaeum Center for Thought ...
|Kokandy Productions to present 'Cruel Intentions: The '90s Musical' June 9-Aug. 7 2022-05-10|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (May 10, 2022) — Kokandy Productions is launching its 10th-anniversary season this summer with the Chicago storefront premiere of Cruel Intentions: The '90s Musicala flirty and fun, nostalgia-packed show ...
|Tonys: Queer-themed 'A Strange Loop' leads nods; 'Paradise Square,' 'MJ' close behind 2022-05-09|
- Nominations for the 75th Tony Awards were announced May 9—and a Pulitzer Prize-winning original musical and a play that recounts the 2008 financial crisis led the nods, CNN reported. Leading the nominations was A Strange Loop, ...