This article shared 2207 times since Wed Feb 18, 2004
I know it's been more than fifteen years since Kylie Minogue did the "Locomotion," but I'm still having a hard time reconciling that bubble gum princess with the steamy sex kitten we have before us. Maybe it's because Minogue was less than
visible in the intervening years, forsaking stateside
success for Euro-pop diva icon
status. When she returned to our shores in 2002, with a Fever-ed vengeance, she looked to be unstoppable. Body Language (Capitol) more than fulfills that promise, smartly adding electroclash flourishes that indicate that Minogue and company have been paying more attention to trends than some other faded dance-pop divas we can think of, but don't care to name (you know who you are). Effervescent and percolating, you can hear the influence of Felix Da Housecat purring throughout. With a couple of songs co-written by the underrated Emiliana Torrini (the medium-paced album opener "Slow" and the slinky "Someday"), as well as collaborations with Cathy Dennis and (Kurtis) Mantronix, Body Language speaks in tongues that are easily translated. "Still Standing" is an upright jam, "Secret (Take You Home)" is a gust of underground air, and the honey-dipped "Sweet Music" more than lives up to its name. "I Feel For You," not to be confused with the Prince-penned Chaka Khan hit of the same name, is every bit as distinctive and catchy.
This Is Star 69, Vol. 2 (Star 69), the sequel to 2001's This Is Star Sixty Nine is, like its predecessor,
"compiled & sequenced" by Grammy nominated remixer Peter Rauhofer. As with its forebear, this compilation proudly wears the
distinctive Star 69 style of dance music on its couture sleeve. Only one of the baker's dozen performers from the first compilation, Lula, makes a return appearance here with the track, "My Empire," which was co-written and mixed by Rauhofer. The "I am ready to rock" sentiment of the Sieg & Mouzakis Blue Steel Mix of Andrea Doria's "Bucci Bag" is reiterated on the DJ Vibe Remix of "I Am Ready" by Sizequeen. In fact, the "rock" theme is echoed on "Rock To The Beat" by Panic Attackers featuring Alan T, as well as on Rauhofer's "Roxy" Mix of "This Is My House." I also admired the stomp of Friburn & Urik's "Elefants" and the multitude of beats on the Airmale Remix of "If U Want Me" by Dark Clark.
This article shared 2207 times since Wed Feb 18, 2004
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|SHOWBIZ Music festivals, Murray Bartlett, Reese Witherspoon, author David Sedaris 2022-01-16|
- Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival revealed the lineup for this year's festival, taking place June 16-19 on the Bonnaroo Farm in Manchester, Tennessee, a press release noted. Highlights will include performances by Tool, J. Cole, Stevie ...
|Black Ensemble Theatre announces 2022 Season of Excellence: The Season of Healings 2022-01-14|
-- From a press release - Chicago, IL—Black Ensemble Theater's Founder and CEO Jackie Taylor announces its 2022 Season of Excellence: The Season of Healings. The 2022 Season includes four World Premiere musicals showcasing the power ...
|THEATER 'Mary Rose' running through Feb. 12 2022-01-10|
- Black Button Eyes (BBE) Productions is concluding its 2021-22 season with the world-premiere musical Mary Rose, featuring book and lyrics by Producing Artistic Director Ed Rutherford, music and lyrics by Jeff Bouthiette, direction by Ed Rutherford ...
|SHOWBIZ Non-binary skater, Cardi B, David Bowie, 'West Hollywood' series 2022-01-09|
- U.S. figure skating champion Timothy LeDuc is hoping to make history as the first out non-binary Winter Olympian in Beijing, out.com noted. The 31-year-old Iowa native and their skating partner, Ashley Cain-Gribble, already have a gold ...
|THEATER Trans performer Sis is doin' fine in 'Oklahoma!' 2022-01-05|
- This isn't your typical grandma's Oklahoma! The very first musical written by Rodgers and Hammerstein opened on Broadway in 1943 and continues to captivate audiences today. The dialogue remains the same, but updated casting choices have ...
|THEATER 'Winnie the Pooh' running March 15-June 12 2022-01-05|
- After its run in New York City, Jonathan Rockefeller's Disney's Winnie the Pooh: The New Musical Stage Adaptation will arrive in Chicago on March 15 and will run through June 12 at the Mercury Theatre Chicago, ...
|THEATER 'Bachelor' parody musical to start Jan. 13 2022-01-03|
- Bachelor: The Unauthorized Parody Musical will run Jan. 13-Feb. 13 at Apollo Theater Chicago, 2550 N. Lincoln Ave. With songs like "Sob Story," "Two-On-One Tango" and "The Date Card is a Riddle," this parody has romance, ...
|Local composer finds inspiration in a queer love story 2021-12-29|
- Two melodic soprano voices echoed through the packed theater. Each note, pitch and crescendo was composed to tell a story of queer love overcoming injustice. Ana Miranda and Michelle Ford Knott, dressed in black, faced the ...
|SHOWBIZ The film 'Licorice Pizza,' Aaron Sorkin, WNBA player, Mariah Carey 2021-12-26|
- Alana Haim, who stars in the film Licorice Pizza (now out in theaters), talked with out.com about how the movie incorporates queer representation by including unsung queer political figure Joel Wachs. "Joel Wachs was such an ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Drag Race' judges, 'Nash Bridges,' Dolly Parton, J.K. Rowling, Britney 2021-12-19|
- The guest judges for the 14th season of RuPaul's Drag Race have been revealed, according to out.com. Lizzo, Alicia Keys, Taraji P. Henson, Andra Day, Loni Love, Christine Chiu, Ava Max, Nicole Byer, Ts Madison, Alec ...
|MOVIES/MUSIC Director Julia Nash keeps legacy of gay deceased father alive with Wax Trax! film 2021-12-17|
- Industrial Accident: The Story of Wax Trax! Records is a documentary telling the story of two gay men who created a music empire in the '80s. Jim Nash and Dannie Flesher were a couple who made ...
|MUSIC Out singer VINCINT plans a 'Getaway' 2021-12-17|
- Out and proud singer Vincint Cannady (aka VINCINT) continues to change the game in the world of pop music. He got his start from performing in gospel groups before becoming a finalist in the singing competition ...
|Willie Nelson, Miranda Lambert, Tim McGraw to headline 2022 Smokeout 2021-12-13|
- Windy City Smokeout announced the headline music acts for its 2022 outdoor country music and BBQ festival. They include Grammy winners Tim McGraw and Miranda Lambert, ACM Award winner Sam Hunt; and 12 time Grammy winner ...
|Photography giant Annie Leibovitz talks 'Wonderland' at Chicago Humanities Festival 2021-12-13|
- In its classic style of spotlighting creative humans, the Chicago Humanities Festival (CHF) hosted "Ellen Stone Belic Presents: In Her Infinite Wisdom Annie Leibovitz: Wonderland" on Dec. 7 at the Harris Theater for Music and Dance. ...
|SHOWBIZ Kennedy Center, drag series, Bjork, awards, Wil Wheaton 2021-12-12|
- Returning to the Kennedy Center Opera House with an audience for the first time since 2019, the 44th Kennedy Center Honors ceremony recently honored a music-heavy class of Bette Midler, Joni Mitchell, Motown founder Berry Gordy ...