WINDY CITY TIMES
||Arrest in Boys Town Attack
by TRACY BAIM
This article shared 1361 times since Wed Apr 28, 2004
An incident reported in last week's Windy City Times about two gay men who claimed they were attacked in an alley just behind the popular North Halsted restaurant Nookies April 18 was apparently related to a 'road rage' incident just a few blocks away.
The five women and one man allegedly did damage to the couple's car.
On April 21, when an arrest was made, the police report indicated that the incident started as a 'road rage' situation between the vehicles' drivers. It also appears all those involved are gay or lesbian, and as a result, no hate-crime charges will be filed. The driver of one of the cars has been charged with criminal damage to property.
Mike Banko and Jeff Durbin, partners in life and business, said they turned into the alley around 9 p.m. and beeped at a stopped car. From behind, out of a white Jeep Cherokee, Banko said several people began pounding on the couple's car. The men got out to get the attackers to stop, but the altercation soon escalated.
'Hate-crime charges were rejected when it became clear this was a road rage situation that happened several blocks away and escalated ... at which time their was mutual combat and no parties were charged with anything further,' said a police spokesperson.
This article shared 1361 times since Wed Apr 28, 2004
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|WORLD False report, Indian activist dies, fashion exhibit, LGBT Awards 2021-09-12|
- In Spain, a man who claimed eight hooded men carved an anti-gay slur on his butt using a knife in a horrific hate crime later said the act was consensual, according to out.com. According to police ...
|WORLD Trapped in Afghanistan, lesbian pioneer, anti-gay crimes, Valencia's bid 2021-08-22|
- Among the Americans trapped in the suburban areas of Kabul, Afghanistan, under Taliban control was Josie Thomas, 32, a transgender government contractor for the U.S. State Department and former U.S. Air Force Sergeant, The Washington Blade ...
|NATIONAL Biden nominees, San Diego crime, HRC, Fox News contributor 2021-08-08|
- President Joe Biden reappointed out lesbian Rabbi Sharon Kleinbaum as a commissioner of the US Commission on International Religious Freedom (USCIRF), which is an advisory post pertaining to issues of religious freedom, Gay City News reported. ...
|Wis. man attacks trans couple but won't be charged with a hate crime 2021-08-04|
- In Wisconsin, a La Crosse official said incomplete state laws prevented them from charging a man with a hate crime after he attacked a transgender couple in a public park, according to Wisconsin Public Radio. La ...
|Analysis of hate crime laws finds limitations, opportunities, rising hate violence 2021-07-28|
--From a Movement Advancement Project, National Center for Lesbian Rights press release - With a rise in hate violence across the country, a new report from the Movement Advancement Project (MAP) and 16 leading civil rights organizations provides a groundbreaking analysis of state and federal hate crime laws. The ...
|WORLD Anti-LGBTQ crimes, conversion therapy, out prime minister, Pakistan school 2021-07-11|
- In England, police are treating the painting of a homophobic slur on an LGBTQ Pride mural as a hate crime, the BBC reported. The wall in St Helens, Merseyside, which was painted by volunteers and artists ...
|NATIONAL Panic defense, VP Kamala Harris, Black LGBTQ app, crime items 2021-06-13|
- Four states and the nation's capital have taken action to ban the so-called LGBTQ "panic defense," which is a legal strategy used by defendants to cite a victim's sexual orientation or gender identity as an excuse ...
|Employee fired for using gay slur at Indiana Arby's 2021-06-12|
- An employee at an Arby's restaurant in Lafayette, Indiana, was fired after writing a homophobic slur on the receipt of a gay couple, NBC News reported. Craig Gray and John Burns were dining at the restaurant ...
|When crime goes viral 2021-06-10|
- Activists say Illinois's law that makes it illegal to expose others to HIV is racist and homophobic. Now they're close to changing it.
In early 2016, Jimmy Amutavi had what he considered a happy life. More ...
|Incarceration for HIV crimes in Georgia cost the state $9 million 2021-06-02|
--From a press release - Between 1999-2020, as many as 133 people were incarcerated in Georgia prisons for HIV-related crimes New analysis from the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law finds that as many as 133 people have been incarcerated ...
|WORLD Myanmar activist, Cyprus official, brutal crimes, UK youth 2021-05-23|
- In Myanmar, Equality Myanmar Executive Director Aung Myo Min broke another barrier, becoming the first LGBTQ person to become sworn in as a member of cabinet after being appointed by the National Unity Government as its ...
|President Biden signs historic hate crimes bill into law 2021-05-20|
- WASHINGTON — Wade Henderson, interim president and CEO of The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, released the following statement after President Biden signed into law the COVID-19 Hate Crimes Act, which included the Khalid ...
|Refugee Coalition of East Africa calls for attention to anti-queer violence 2021-05-07|
--From a press release - On May 17, the International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia will be observed worldwide, followed by many celebrations of Pride in the month of June. We at the Refugee Coalition of East Africa will raise ...
|The National Black Justice Coalition mourns death of Mikayla Miller 2021-05-06|
--From a press release - MASSACHUSETTS — The National Black Justice Coalition (NBJC) mourns the loss of Mikayla Miller, a Black 16-year-old girl and member of the LGBTQ+ community. Miller was found dead on April 18th in Hopkinton, Massachusetts one day ...
|WORLD Caribbean group, hate crime, 'Queen of the Pacific,' volcano wedding 2021-05-02|
- A Caribbean advocacy group launched a fund to help LGBTQ people who have been impacted by the eruption of a volcano on the island of St. Vincent, The Washington Blade reported. The Eastern Caribbean Alliance for ...