WINDY CITY TIMES
||Anti-LGBTQ+ GOP presidential candidate Tim Scott leaves race
This article shared 1113 times since Mon Nov 13, 2023
In a Nov. 12 announcement that surprised his own staff, Republican U.S. Sen. Tim Scott decided to suspend his presidential campaign, Politico reported.
"When I go back to Iowa it will not be as a presidential candidate," Scott said to friend and Fox News host Trey Gowdy, who was seemingly caught off-guard. "The voters, who are the most remarkable people on the planet … They're telling me, 'not now, Tim.' I don't think they're saying, Trey, 'no,' but I do they're saying, 'not now.'"
On a call with campaign staff immediately after his television interview, Scottwho had polled in the low-single digitsacknowledged that the announcement "may have caught you by surprise," and that he "tried to be as strategic as possible dealing with this."
According to a GLAAD item from this year, Newsweek reported that Scott "considers homosexuality a morally wrong choice, like adultery." Also, the Human Rights Campaign noted that Scott has supported a number of anti-LGBTQ+ policies, including opposing marriage equality, and supporting "Don't Say LGBTQ+" and "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" laws. Scott also introduced federal legislation that would defund schools that protect transgender children.
Interestingly, at one point, some members of Scott's own party wondered about his sexuality, referring to a then-no-named girlfriend as a "lovely Christian girl." However, interior designer Mindy Nocea woman Scott said he'd be dating for "about a year or so"appeared at the most recent Republican primary debate.
This article shared 1113 times since Mon Nov 13, 2023
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|WORLD Thai marriage law, French bill, Miss Universe, IKEA, activist dies 2023-11-24|
- Thailand Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin said that the cabinet approved a draft law on marriage equality and that it would be brought to parliament during a session starting in December, Reuters reported. If the draft law ...
|NATIONAL Trevor Project, anti-trans crimes, priest sentenced, hate-crimes unit 2023-11-24|
- The Trevor Project announced the extension of its partnership with the 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline, reaffirming its commitment to providing specialized assistance to LGBTQ+ people who call 9-8-8, The Advocate reported. Interim Senior Vice President ...
|Scotland announces five-year plan to help nonbinary people 2023-11-20|
- Scotland's government has announced a five-year action plan to improve the lives of non-binary people, Yahoo! News reported. Among other things, the first-of-its-kind plan in the UK (and, quite possibly, in the world) includes actions to ...
|PASSAGES: Mexico's first out nonbinary magistrate Jesus Ociel Baena Saucedo 2023-11-19|
- On Nov. 13, Mexico's first out nonbinary magistrate and LGBTQ+ activist Jesus Ociel Baena Saucedo was found dead in their state of Aguascalientes home alongside their partner Dorian Herrera. They were 38. According to state prosecutor ...
|Victory Fund celebrates Midwest LGBTQ+ activists and officials 2023-11-19|
- On Nov. 15, the Victory Fund Midwest Chapter held its annual fundraiser and gala, "Victory in the Midwest," at Venue West. 221 N. Paulina St. The event honored Jim Bennett (formerly Lambda Legal's Chicago office manager ...
|SCOTUS Hamburger Mary's decision: small victory, big concerns 2023-11-17|
- In a surprise move, a 6-3 majority of the U.S. Supreme Court did something good for LGBTQ+ people: It rejected Florida's request for a stay against a lower court decision—a stay that would have enabled the ...
|NATIONAL Bishop removed, business news, Jezebel shutting down, MAP head 2023-11-17|
- Pope Francis removed the bishop of Tyler, Texas—a conservative prelate active on social media who has been a fierce critic of the pontiff, PBS reported. A one-line statement from the Vatican said the pope had "relieved" ...
|Equality Illinois mourns the death of Magistrate Dr. Jesus Ociel Baena Saucedo 2023-11-16|
--From a press release - Statement by Mony Ruiz-Velasco, Deputy Director at Equality Illinois, the state's civil rights organization for LGBTQ+ people, regarding the death of Dr Jesus Ociel Baena Saucedo: "I am deeply saddened to learn of the death of ...
|Illinois attorney general part of effort against Oklahoma anti-trans youth law 2023-11-16|
--From a press release - Chicago — Illinois Attorney General Kwame Raoul is opposing a state law in Oklahoma that severely limits the ability of transgender youth to access critical, lifesaving gender-affirming care. Raoul, along with a coalition of attorneys general, ...
|Santos not seeking re-election after wrongdoing evidence is revealed 2023-11-16|
- On Nov. 16, the House Ethics Committee found "substantial evidence" that U.S. Rep. George Santos (R-N.Y.) violated federal law, setting the stage for another push to expel the embattled gay first-term Congressman and prompting him to ...
|HRC's 2023 survey of cities, towns shows record support for LGBTQ+ residents; Chicago scores 100 2023-11-16|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON—Te Human Rights Campaign Foundation (HRC), in partnership with the Equality Federation, an advocacy accelerator rooted in social justice that builds power in a network of state-based LGBTQ+ advocacy organizations ...
|Rainbow Wave: 238 LGBTQ+ candidates win public office in 2023, all time high for an odd year election 2023-11-14|
--From a press release - Washington, DC — 238 out LGBTQ+ candidates have won elections in 2023, as of 3 p.m. ET, surpassing the record 185 who won in 2021 — the last odd-year election. LGBTQ+ Victory Fund is awaiting final ...
|Mayor Johnson names new CPDH commissioner 2023-11-13|
- Mayor Brandon Johnson announced the appointment of esteemed public health leader Dr. Olusimbo "Simbo" Ige, MD, MS, MPH to serve as commissioner of the Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH). The announcement took place days after ...
|UN committee criticizes United States' LGBTQ+ record 2023-11-11|
- Reviewing the United States' record on civil and political rights, the United Nations Human Rights Committee (HRC) condemned the country's record on LGBTQ+ rights, according to Human Rights Watch. In 1992, the United States ratified the ...
|WORLD Macron, Senegal incident, drag queen, King's Speech, lesbian artist 2023-11-10|
- French President Emmanuel Macron voiced his support for a bill banning gender-inclusive language on official state documents, according to PinkNews. During the inauguration of the space known as the Cite ...