WINDY CITY TIMES
||ABC 7 to present 'Our Chicago: Celebrate Pride' June 26-27
This article shared 1061 times since Fri Jun 18, 2021
ABC 7 Chicago is presenting a half-hour special, Our Chicago: Celebrating Pride, hosted by the ABC 7 Eyewitness News Morning anchor team of Tanja Babich and Terrell Brown, with contributions by I-Team Consumer Investigative Reporter Jason Knowles.
The special will air twiceSaturday, June 26 at 6 p.m., and Sunday, June 27 at 11 p.m.
Our Chicago: Celebrating Pride will celebrate the people and the stories who make up the LGBTQ+ tapestry in Chicago, while also exploring some of the issues important to the community.
There will be a look at the transition from the name of Chicago neighborhood 'Boystown' to 'Northalsted' in an effort to reflect inclusivity of lesbians, trans and people of color. Although the name change announcement was made in September of 2020, only recently have banners with the new monikers lined the streets.
The special also will take a look at how LGBTQ+ businesses have fared during the pandemic. Business owners talk to reporter Jason Knowles about the impact of the pandemic on their businesses and what they have done to keep open and remain successful.
The event will also profile trans-rights advocate Alexis Abarca, the iconic Baton Show Lounge and activist/E3 Radio founder Anna DeShawn.
This article shared 1061 times since Fri Jun 18, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|THEATER 'A Michael Martin Tribute' Nov. 11-28 2021-10-27|
- Curious Theatre Branch will host a three-week celebration of the solo performance monologues of the late Michael Martin, curated by Kelly Anchors. A Michael Martin Tribute will take place Nov. 11-28 at Pride Arts Center, 4139 ...
|Campus Pride releases list of worst anti-LGBTQ schools 2021-10-25|
- Campus Pride officially released its 2021 Worst List, naming 180 campuses across the country as "the absolute worst, most unsafe campuses for LGBTQ youth." The colleges and universities included in this year's list have either received ...
|llinois Holocaust Museum hosts talk on Stonewall and the LGBTQ-rights movement 2021-10-24|
- On Oct. 17, Skokie's Illinois Holocaust Museum and Education Center hosted a "Legacy of Stonewall and the LGBTQ Rights Movement" panel discussion to kick off its latest exhibit, "Rise Up: Stonewall and the LGBTQ Rights Movement." ...
|SPORTS Chicago Red Stars power past Orlando 1-0 2021-10-14|
- The Chicago Red Stars, behind an early Kealia Watt goal and a clean sheet from Cassie Miller, defeated the Orlando Pride at home (Bridgeview's SeatGeek Stadium) Oct. 13 by a score of 1-0. During the game's ...
|LGBTQ History Month: Pauli Murray, architect of history 2021-10-13|
By Victoria A. Brownworth - (Note: The pronouns she/her are used in keeping with Murray's own writings, but Murray was a transmasculine and gender-nonconforming lesbian.) Some say Pauli Murray is the most important U.S. activist many have never heard of. An ...
|Coming Out for LGBTQ+ History 2021-10-11|
- October 11th is National Coming Out Day, a day established in 1988 by members of the LGBTQ+ community to encourage people to stop hiding and be open about their identity. Coming out increases visibility of the ...
|Pride Fest sees rainbows over rain 2021-10-05|
- After last year's COVID-related cancellation, the LGBTQ+-focused outdoor affair Pride Fest returned to Lake View after a delay of a few months, as it usually takes place in June. An additional full day was added to ...
|Urban Village Church hosting drag worship service, Pride prom Oct. 10 2021-10-04|
- On Sunday, Oct. 10, Urban Village Church (UVC) will host a drag worship service at its Wicker Park site, 1012 N. Noble St. Worship begins at 10:30 a.m. (CST) with performances from local drag artists, including ...
|SPORTS Chicago White Sox hold Pride Night 2021-10-04|
- On Sept. 29, the Chicago White Sox held Pride Night. LGBTQ+ activist Gary Chichester threw the first pitch of the gamewhich featured the White Sox taking on the Cincinnati Redsat Guaranteed Rate field. BMO Harris invited ...
|WORLD Marches, world leaders, Swiss marriage, soccer match 2021-09-26|
- Thousands of people including soldiers and diplomats marched peacefully through the Ukrainian capital of Kyiv in an annual Pride parade despite some opposition to an event called off last year because of the coronavirus pandemic, Reuters ...
|Naper Pride hosts inaugural Pride fest 2021-09-16|
- Naper Pride held its inaugural pride fest event, "Coming Together, One Community—One Naperville," on Sept. 11-12 in Naperville. Incidentally, "Coming Together, One Community—One Naperville" was also Naper Pride's organizational philosoph ...
|OneWheaton to mark 10th Homecoming Weekend on Oct. 8-9 2021-09-15|
- OneWheaton—a group of LGBTQA alumni and students of Wheaton College—will mark its 10th annual Homecoming Weekend with virtual activities on Oct. 8-9. On Oct. 8, at 6 p.m., there will be an LGBTQIA Storytelling Hour. Attendees ...
|Pride Fest will extend to Oct. 3; headliners include Kristine W and Mya 2021-09-12|
- Mya, Shangela, VINCINT, Crystal Waters, Kristine W, Brooke Eden and St. Panther are among the headliners for Chicago Pride Fest now taking place over three days, Oct. 1-3, in Chicago's LGBTQ+ landmark Northalsted/Lake View district. The ...
|SPORTS Blackhawks tickets available Sept. 14; Pride Night on April 12 2021-09-09|
- The Chicago Blackhawks announced that single-game tickets for the team's 2021-22 regular season at the United Center, 1901 W. Madison St., will go on sale to the general public on Tuesday, Sept. 14 at 12 p.m. ...
|Naper Pride set to host inaugural Pride fest 2021-09-04|
- Naper Pride will hold its inaugural pride fest event, "Coming Together, One CommunityOne Naperville," on Sept. 11-12. Incidentally, "Coming Together, One CommunityOne Naperville" is also Naper Pride's organizational philosophy of ...