WINDY CITY TIMES
||'A League of Their Own' cancelled; second season not filming
This article shared 3289 times since Sat Aug 19, 2023
Prime Video is not moving forward with the previously ordered second and final season of comedy-drama A League of Their Own, which is about a WWII-era women's professional baseball team, according to Deadline.
The show's fate is now the same as fellow Prime Video/Amazon Studios hourlong freshman series The Peripheral (starring Chloe Grace Moretz), which also had its second-season renewal reversed.
Both cancellations are believed to stem from the length of the ongoing WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes.
A League of Their Ownan adaptation of the 1992 Penny Marshall-directed film of the same name that starred Geena Davis, Tom Hanks, Madonna, Megan Cavanagh and Rosie O'Donnell (who also played the owner of the gay bar The Office on the series)premiered last summer; after months of negotiations, the series received an order for an abbreviated four-episode second and final season in April.
This year, "League" won the GLAAD Award for Outstanding New TV Series. Maybelle Blair, who was part of the original Rockford Peaches (on whom "League" was based), explained to WCT at a Rockford, Illinois event celebrating the show's debut that being a lesbian on the team was all undergrounduntil after she came out at age 95.
This article shared 3289 times since Sat Aug 19, 2023
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Trans actress, gay actors, 'Kokomo City' receive Spirit Award nominations 2023-12-06|
- The nominations for the 39th annual Film Independent Spirit Awards have been announcedand LGBTQ+ actors, directors and productions definitely made their mark. Trans actress Trace Lysette was announced as one of the nominees for Best Lead ...
|MOVIES Rick Cosnett chats about 'Shoulder Dance,' Molly and Jason Momoa 2023-12-05|
- In the new movie Shoulder Dance, which is out on streaming, friends Ira (played by out actor Matt Dallas, looking and sounding quite different than from his days on TV's Kyle XY) and Roger (played by ...
|New doc brings home that 'We Live Here' and everywhere 2023-12-05|
- The new Hulu documentary We Live Here: The Midwest highlights the challenges faced in recent times by LGBTQ+ residents of the Midwest, giving voice to a wide representation of people struggling to simply live their lives ...
|MOVIES Director Daniel Peddle on the sequel to the classic doc 'The Aggressives' 2023-12-05|
- In 2005, Daniel Peddle released The Aggressives—a groundbreaking documentary filmed during the late '90s and early '00s in New York City that profiled several masculine-presenting/transmasculine people of color. Fast-forward to ...
|May December film blossoms on Netflix 2023-12-01|
- The Netflix feature film May December, directed by Todd Haynes, takes the craft of character study to a whole new level. The plot is inspired by the true story of Mary Kay Letourneau, an elementary school ...
|GLAAD marks World AIDS Day with launch of global resource hub, new HIV report 2023-12-01|
--From a press release - New York, New York — Friday, Dec. 1 — GLAAD marked World AIDS Day this year by sharing the results of its fourth annual State of HIV Stigma Report, a national survey among U.S. adults measuring ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Bodyshop,' Beyonce, Ani DiFranco, Billie Jean King 2023-12-01|
- The Breaking Glass Pictures film Bodyshop will be out on digital on Dec. 5, per a press release. The plot is described thusly: "The ghost of a young soldier sexually assaulted by his lieutenant says goodbye ...
|BOOKS Lucas Hilderbrand reflects on gay history in 'The Bars Are Ours' 2023-11-29|
- In The Bars Are Ours (via Duke University Press), Lucas Hilderbrand, a professor of film and media studies at the University of California-Irvine, takes readers on a historical journey of gay bars, showing how the venues ...
|SHOWBIZ Billy Porter, queer novel, 'Tammy Faye,' queer DJ, Bella Ramsey 2023-11-24|
- Billy Porter released his long-awaited new album, Black Mona Lisa, via Island Records UK/Republic Records, and it's executive-produced by Justin Tranter, a press release noted. Porter said, "So many of the songs on my album have ...
|Disney exhibition chronicles a century of entertainment history 2023-11-21|
- Disney100, a large-scale traveling exhibition marking the 100th anniversary of the Walt Disney Company, has opened at the Exhibition Hub Art Center, 2367 W. Logan Blvd., in Bucktown. Hundreds of props and artifacts from the company's ...
|SHOWBIZ Music awards, military film, Tom of Finland, Yo-Yo Ma, 'Harley Quinn' 2023-11-17|
Video below - Brothers Osborne—a duo that includes gay brother TJ Osborne—won Vocal Duo of the Year for the sixth time at the recent CMA Awards, per a media release. Backstage, TJ told reporters, "I did not expect us ...
|Rustin film puts a gay pioneer into the spotlight 2023-11-16|
- The story of activist Bayard Rustin is one that should be told in classrooms everywhere. Instead, because Rustin was an openly same-gender-loving man, his legacy has gone relatively unnoticed outside of LGBTQ+-focused history books. Netflix hopes ...
|GLAAD to receive Television Academy's Governors Award 2023-11-15|
- The Television Academy announced LGBTQ+ media-advocacy organization GLAAD as the 2023 Governors Award recipient. Founded in 1985 by Vito Russo, author of The Celluloid Closet, and other LGBTQ advocates, GLAAD works with leaders in television, film, ...
|Billy Masters: The times Streisand failed to make a splash 2023-11-13|
- "Fame is a hollow trophy. No matter who you are, you can only eat one pastrami sandwich at a time."—Wise words from Barbra Streisand. You all know that Barbra Streisand's book is out. And I ...
|SHOWBIZ Kaytranada, NFL star, Alexandra Billings, video game, George Michael 2023-11-10|
- Out Montreal DJ/producer Kaytranada teased his latest single, "Out of Luck," with Mariah the Scientist, on Twitter, Complex noted. "THIS IS THE ANTHEM!" Kaytra wrote in his quote-tweet of the song playing at a release party. ...