||with you in 4/4
by Peter Mavrik
This article shared 1583 times since Wed Sep 27, 2006
Whitney. Bobby. Splitting up. I think the dialog went something like this:
Bobby: I'm your baby tonight.
Whitney: Didn't we almost have it all?
Whitney: It's not right, but it's ok.
Bobby: Exhale. I wanna dance with somebody.
Whitney: It isn't, it wasn't, it ain't never gonna be.
Bobby: I have nothing.
Whitney: My name is not Susan.
Whitney: Where do broken hearts go? How will I know? Gonna try it on my own. It's one of those days. I'm queen of the night.
Tasteless, perhaps. But the Whitney and Bobby saga that has been more than public for so many years is finally cresting. No one really knows what's going on between the two of them, but selfishly I'm hoping Whitney will produce a church album as a result of all this mess. Come back to the fold gurl, we're here for you.
I can still clearly recall the first time I heard 'Saving All My Love For You.' I was eight and had a major crush on one of the boys I knew in school. Some years later, my very first boyfriend played it on a cassette tape in his Ford Escort while we were parked in the forest preserve near my parents house. That track still evokes so many good memories for me.
When I was nine, 'How Will I Know' came out. Why any of us thought paint splattered shirts and those hideous elastic waist-band pants were stylish at the time is beyond me. But I wore them along with everyone else. My oldest sister had the same perm as Whitney in the video. Weren't we Dirty Dancing that same year?
When I turned ten, and eleven, and twelve, and thirteen, and damn near every year until 2003, there was a Whitney Houston song that became a part of the soundtrack of my life. 1999's 'It's Not Right But It's OK' still blows my mind when I hear it. And she tore it up remaking 'I Will Always Love You.' Whitney's version is still my favorite recording of that track ( sorry Dolly ) .
Despite her lifestyle choices, Whitney Houston gets every bit of love and respect that I can give her. We all have problems, but few of us have solutions. Let's hope that the next chapter in the life of Whitney Houston brings us more good music, and more milestones by which to mark our lives.
With you in 4/4,
This article shared 1583 times since Wed Sep 27, 2006
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|WORLD Pope Francis, non-binary minor, athlete dies at 35, Taiwan 2023-01-29|
- Pope Francis made headlines when he told the Associated Press on Jan. 24 that "being homosexual is not a crime," although he also described being gay as sinful, Gay City News noted. The pontiff called on ...
|SHOWBIZ Lil Nas X, Sam Smith, tennis items, Oscars, Queerties 2023-01-29|
- Famed children's entertainers The Wiggles sent parents into a frenzy when they posted a photo with out rapper Lil Nas X to their Instagram account and wrote, "New collab in the wind?," according to LGBTQ Nation. ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Planet Sex,' Critics Choice Awards, Madonna, Theo James 2023-01-22|
- The show Planet Sex with Cara Delevingne will debut on Hulu on Feb. 14 (Valentine's Day), Out noted. Planet Sex is a six-episode docuseries following the model/actress. "On this immersive journey, she puts her mind and ...
|SHOWBIZ Indigo Girls, LGBTQ+ films, GALECA nods, Jeremy Pope 2023-01-15|
- Indigo Girls will perform at an opening-night celebration for the Sundance Film Festival on Jan. 19 in Park City, Utah, Variety reported. The Grammy-winning lesbian folk-rock duo are debuting their new documentary, It's Only Life After All, ...
|Jordan Vasquez treats Chicago to Fosse's Chicago 2023-01-12|
- Actor and openly gay performer Jordan Vasquez, an Illinois native now living in New York City, is giving Chicago audiences "the old razzle dazzle" in the fabulous musical Chicago. This dynamically talented performer brings with him ...
|SHOWBIZ Diversity report, Dave Bautista, Leslie Jordan, greatest singers 2023-01-08|
- The USC Annenberg Inclusion Initiative's latest "Inclusion in the Director's Chair" report analyzes the gender and race/ethnicity of the directors behind last year's 100 highest-grossing movies in the country, while the San Diego State Center ...
|SHOWBIZ Best in theater, TV, film and music; Obama's favorites; 'Glass Onion' 2022-12-31|
- Deadline's Broadway critic revealed his picks for the best of 2022. Leopoldstadt topped his list, but other productions included Kimberly Akimbo, Some Like It Hot, Into the Woods, Hangmen, Ain't No Mo', A Strange Loop, Topdog/Underdog, ...
|SHOWBIZ Janelle Monae, Harvey Guillen, Whitney Houston, 'Drag Race,' Greg Berlanti 2022-12-24|
- Janelle Monae has teased a new album, joking that they now has a "clone" for music who has been hard at work in the studio, NME noted. Monae—whose leading part as Helen Brand in the new Glass Onion: ...
|WORLD Ghana funding, Latvia measure, Russia items, trans princess 2022-12-18|
- Some Western governments who pledged to support LGBTQI+ rights have also funded supporters of a controversial bill in Ghana that could introduce harsh sentences for advocating for sexual and gender minorities' rights, CNN reported. In the ...
|Life is a Cabaret for James Harkness these days 2022-12-14|
- Out performer James Harkness is one of the many performers in Cabaret ZaZou's Luminaire, the latest project from the creative team behind the successful show Teatro ZinZanni. Currently in an open run since Sept. 7, 2022, ...
|SHOWBIZ Jerrod Carmichael, 'Heartstopper,' Lena Waithe, Gyllenhaal, Cher 2022-12-11|
- Out comedian Jerrod Carmichael will host the 80th Annual Golden Globe Awards, Deadline reported. After a yearlong hiatus, the three-hour telecast will air on Tuesday, Jan. 10, 2023 from The Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills on NBC and ...
|Filmmaker reworks locally-produced holiday film Scrooge & Marley for upcoming stage reading 2022-12-07|
- It's been 10 years since Chicago writer/musician/perfomer Richard Knight, Jr. co-directed and co-wrote the LGBTQ+ holiday film Scrooge & Marley. "One of the most memorable nights of my life was the premiere at the Music Box, ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Bros,' awards, Bjork, video-game love story, 'White Lotus' 2022-12-04|
- The gay rom-com film Bros started streaming on Peacock on Dec. 2, Out noted. Written by Billy Eichner and Nicholas Stoller (and directed by the latter), Bros was produced by Judd Apatow and starred Eichner along with an all-LGBTQ+ ...
|SHOWBIZ Elton John, Leslie Jordan, Joel Kim Booster, Janelle Monae 2022-11-27|
- Elton John gave Los Angeles concluded a three-show run on Nov. 20 back inside Dodger Stadium, taking a final bow as part of his "Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour," according to The Hollywood Reporter. The concert ...
|MUSIC: Sophie B. Hawkins talks LGBTQ+ youth and living an authentic life 2022-11-24|
- In the '90s, singer-songwriter Sophie B. Hawkins made quite an impression on people with the entrancing song "Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover" and its accompanying video. She also had hits such as "Right Beside You" ...