|the dj, the music and you
This article shared 3118 times since Wed Jan 2, 2008
by DJ Res5
Well, 2007 is finally over and I have the hangover to prove it! Now with New Year's and Christmas passed, we can concentrate on what's really important... NEW MUSIC!
Mary J. Blige has released a new studio album called Growing Pains. It is not an instant smash, like Alicia Keys' As I Am album. However, it has its good points. The songs grow on you, not off. The big stand-out for me was the song 'Stay Down,' which has all the potential to be this year's 'Be Without You' if it gets a proper remix treatment and promotion.
While Mary is still growing, as my friend Damon would say, the remixes to One Republic's 'Apologize' are living! While it did take a good long while for mixes to surface, of the half dozen or so floating around, Jjm released a massive anthem take on the track and Richard Vission did a mix that flips the song on its head and is aggressive and far from apologetic. Expect to hear these stand-outs tearing up a dance floor near you and on some of the mixed compilations at Borderline Music.
Switching gears, Wyclef Jean didn't have to tear it up to make things hot. His newest hip-hop set, The Carnival, Vol. 2: Memoirs Of An Immigrant, tackles the hot button of immigration throughout, and in a truly artistic fashion. Everything from the production choices, guest artists selected, and subject matter hint at his personal position on the subject. Indian influences, Selena samples, and French language vocals are just three of the bold choices that have me telling you to run to your nearest record store to pick this album up.
The last two releases I am spotlighting are from Ashlee Simpson & Janet Jackson. These 2 women have both brought us some good cloned pop. Ashlee's 'Outta My Head ( Ay Ya Ya ) ' sounds like Gwen Stefani's 'What You Waiting For' got beat up by Madonna's 'Burning Up'. Janet's 'Feedback' sounds as if she merged her own 'So Excited' with some modern Britney Spears track. Although both songs are good, neither is terribly inventive. If you like the influences, you will probably like the clones, too. Well, at least for a little while.
This article shared 3118 times since Wed Jan 2, 2008
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE
|Samuel Savoir-Faire Williams's violin stylings help COH mark Black History Month 2024-02-23
- As part of its celebration of Black History Month, Center on Halsted, 3656 N. Halsted St., presented a solo jazz performance by violinist Samuel Savoir-Faire Williams on Feb. 21. The two-hour long performance presented a showcase ...
|SHOWBIZ Kristen Stewart, Rock Hudson, Talia Keys, 'True Detective,' Marvel comic 2024-02-23
- At the Berlin Film Festival, Kristen Stewart defended her photo shoot for a Rolling Stone magazine cover that went viral and divided audiences on social-media platforms, per The Hollywood Reporter. "The existence of a female body ...
|Theater Review: Billy Elliot, The Musical 2024-02-19
- Book and Lyrics: Lee Hall; Music: Elton John. At: Paramount Theatre, 23 E. Galena Blvd., Aurora Tickets: 630-896-6666 or Paramountaurora.com; $28-$79. Runs through March 24 Billy Elliot: The Musical may nearly be two decades old, but ...
|REFLECTIONS: An Evening of original music with the Jeannie Tanner Quartet 2024-02-19
--From a press release - REFLECTIONS will be a night of feel-good, upbeat original music written by Jeannie Tanner. Songs range from jazz, to pop, to soulful R&B. Jeannie's music can be heard in many television shows and movies, with recordings ...
|Lakeside Pride Wilde Cabaret Valentine's Day Feb. 17 2024-02-16
--From a press release - Lakeside Pride Wilde Cabaret puts their own spin on Valentine's Day with a show celebrating things done and sacrificed for love - not just romantic love, but love for pets, friends, family and art. Join the ...
|SHOWBIZ Elton John, Hannah Gadsby, video game, Jennifer Lopez, queer thriller 2024-02-16
Video below - Sir Elton John has sold his Atlanta home and is now auctioning off more than 900 of his personal items that were kept in the 13,500-square-foot condo, The Daily Mail noted. The massive collection includes rare ...
|Wic Whitney spills the Afternoon Tea 2024-02-15
- Born in Arkansas and now based in Chicago, queer performer Wic Whitney is a storyteller with a great deal to say, preaching his Southern soul message through unique vocal stylings as a rapper and singer. This ...
|CGMC presents Lipstick & Lyrics: Forty & Foxy, A Glamorous Feast for the Senses 2024-02-14
--From a press release - CHICAGO, February 13, 2024 — The Chicago Gay Men's Chorus proudly presents Lipstick & Lyrics: Forty & Foxy, a dazzling, live-singing drag show that celebrates the sensuality and empowerment of middle age. Get ready to unleash ...
|Cher, Mariah Carey among Rock & Roll Hall of Fame nominees 2024-02-11
- Cher, Mariah Carey among Rock & Roll Hall of Fame nominees On Feb. 10, the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame announced the nominees for its 2024 class. According to NPR, two-thirds of the artists on the list for "rock's highest ...
|Dr. Lady J explains how opera can be a drag 2024-02-10
- On Feb. 8, Center on Halsted, in partnership with Lyric Opera of Chicago, presented a lecture by historian, drag activist, podcaster and curator Dr. Lady J. The event, titled "Castrated Superstars, Cross Dressed Divas, and Queer ...
|Asians and Friends Chicago to host LGBTQ Lunar New Year Dinner Feb. 24 2024-02-09
--From a press release - CHICAGO—Taking a cross-dressing twist for the Year of the Dragon, members of Asians and Friends Chicago (AFC) will host a dinner-and-drag musical revue, celebrating the Year of the "Drag-on" and bringing together members of the lesbian, ...
|SHOWBIZ Raven-Symone, women's sports, Wayne Brady, Jinkx Monsoon, British Vogue 2024-02-09
- In celebration of Black History Month, the LA LGBT Center announced that lesbian entertainer Raven-Symone will be presented with the Center's Bayard Rustin Award at its new event, Highly Favored, per a press release. She joins ...
|Women dominate 2024 Grammys 2024-02-05
- It was the year of the woman at the 2024 Grammys. Regarding everything from performances to wins, women dominated the 2024 Grammys that took place Feb. 4 at the Crypto.com Arena in Los Angeles. Tracy Chapman ...
|SHOWBIZ JoJo Siwa, Tom Holland, Bowen Yang, Pet Shop Boys, Mariah Carey 2024-02-02
- In the wake of Nigel Lythgoe exiting So You Think You Can Dance, queer personality JoJo Siwa is returning to the series, per Deadline. Siwa, who was a judge on season 17 of the Fox show, will replace Lythgoe, who left ...
|SHOWBIZ Sundance items, Green Day, 'Wednesday,' Queerties, 'The Wiz' 2024-01-26
- At the Sundance Film Festival, Jodie Foster told Variety that the $1.4-billion success of Barbie helps confirm that Hollywood no longer views women directors as too much of a risk. She said, "With a big success ...