||off the cuffs
by TRACY BAIM
This article shared 1493 times since Wed Jun 16, 2004
Gay Pride Special! Win DVD set! Go to our Web site at www.WindyCityMediaGroup.com and sign up for our weekly e-mail newsletter. We will be giving away a FREE set of Arthur Dong's 3 part DVD series, Stories from the War on Homosexuality. This set is amazing, and features his three award-winning documentaries: Coming Out Under Fire (GLBTs in the military); Family Fundamentals (religious issues and family); and Licensed to Kill (about killers of gays). Enter to win before the end of June. BONUS: We have Queer as Folk full-color, huge posters for your bedroom. Winners also drawn from entries on our Web site. So join our e-mail list now!
The Windy City Gay Idol finals are at Circuit Sat., 7 p.m. sharp to get ballots, 3641 N. Halsted.
BETTY RULES! is at Lakeshore Theatre, 3175 N. Broadway, (773) 472-3492. The closing night show June 20 is a benefit for Gay Games VII. There's also a Gay Games benefit at Bailiwick June 19, for The Last Sunday in June. See www.GayGamesChicago.org .
OK, there is just TOO much going on for Pride to list it all. See the calendar for highlights, but you really have to go online for the full spectrum. See our Web site at www.WindyCityMediaGroup.com .
Does this column seem like a big promo for our Web site? Well, we're proud of just how much info and pics we can get in there each week. And it saves the trees!
This article shared 1493 times since Wed Jun 16, 2004
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Bulls extend win streak to nine games on fourth Pride Night 2022-01-08|
- The Chicago Bulls now have their longest win streak since 2011. The team (26-10) beat the Washington Wizards 130-122 at the United Center on Jan. 7 to extend their win streak to nine games. Zach LaVine ...
|Legislation to address disparities facing LGBTQ+ seniors, people with HIV/AIDS 2021-12-22|
- On Dec. 16, Pride Action Tank, OUTreach and Equality Illinois hosted a virtual "breakfast" to discuss issues facing LGBTQ+ seniors and persons with HIV/AIDS as well as legislative policies created to address them. "Advocating for Change" ...
|Pride in the Pews: from storytelling to mobilizing Black LGBTQ+ leaders of faith 2021-12-21|
- Storytelling, justice and communitythese core values drove Pride in the Pews when it began in March 2021 as a campaign to collect 66 stories from Black LGBTQ+ Christians across the country. While the mission for Pride ...
|WORLD Court rulings, Dutch apology, trans candidates win, Global Black Pride 2021-12-05|
- Botswana's Court of Appeal upheld a 2019 ruling that decriminalized gay sex, effectively striking off two sections of the penal code that had outlawed homosexuality, according to Reuters. Before the 2019 High Court ruling, which was ...
|Taiwan's Kaohsiung Pride to host WorldPride in 2025 2021-11-13|
- InterPride announced that Kaohsiung Pride, in Taiwan, has won the bid to host WorldPride in 2025. With this vote by InterPride members, a WorldPride event will be held in East Asia for the first time. The ...
|Red Stars score historic win, qualify for playoffs 2021-10-30|
- The Chicago Red Stars defeated the Orlando Pride, 1-0, at Exploria Stadium on Oct. 29, according to SB Nation. Kealia Watt's second-half goal was the difference, and it ensured that Chicago would host an opponent (to ...
|THEATER 'A Michael Martin Tribute' Nov. 11-28 2021-10-27|
- Curious Theatre Branch will host a three-week celebration of the solo performance monologues of the late Michael Martin, curated by Kelly Anchors. A Michael Martin Tribute will take place Nov. 11-28 at Pride Arts Center, 4139 ...
|Campus Pride releases list of worst anti-LGBTQ schools 2021-10-25|
- Campus Pride officially released its 2021 Worst List, naming 180 campuses across the country as "the absolute worst, most unsafe campuses for LGBTQ youth." The colleges and universities included in this year's list have either received ...
|lllinois Holocaust Museum hosts talk on Stonewall and the LGBTQ-rights movement 2021-10-24|
- On Oct. 17, Skokie's Illinois Holocaust Museum and Education Center hosted a "Legacy of Stonewall and the LGBTQ Rights Movement" panel discussion to kick off its latest exhibit, "Rise Up: Stonewall and the LGBTQ Rights Movement." ...
|SPORTS Chicago Red Stars power past Orlando 1-0 2021-10-14|
- The Chicago Red Stars, behind an early Kealia Watt goal and a clean sheet from Cassie Miller, defeated the Orlando Pride at home (Bridgeview's SeatGeek Stadium) Oct. 13 by a score of 1-0. During the game's ...
|LGBTQ History Month: Pauli Murray, architect of history 2021-10-13|
By Victoria A. Brownworth - (Note: The pronouns she/her are used in keeping with Murray's own writings, but Murray was a transmasculine and gender-nonconforming lesbian.) Some say Pauli Murray is the most important U.S. activist many have never heard of. An ...
|Coming Out for LGBTQ+ History 2021-10-11|
- October 11th is National Coming Out Day, a day established in 1988 by members of the LGBTQ+ community to encourage people to stop hiding and be open about their identity. Coming out increases visibility of the ...
|Pride Fest sees rainbows over rain 2021-10-05|
- After last year's COVID-related cancellation, the LGBTQ+-focused outdoor affair Pride Fest returned to Lake View after a delay of a few months, as it usually takes place in June. An additional full day was added to ...
|Urban Village Church hosting drag worship service, Pride prom Oct. 10 2021-10-04|
- On Sunday, Oct. 10, Urban Village Church (UVC) will host a drag worship service at its Wicker Park site, 1012 N. Noble St. Worship begins at 10:30 a.m. (CST) with performances from local drag artists, including ...
|SPORTS Chicago White Sox hold Pride Night 2021-10-04|
- On Sept. 29, the Chicago White Sox held Pride Night. LGBTQ+ activist Gary Chichester threw the first pitch of the gamewhich featured the White Sox taking on the Cincinnati Redsat Guaranteed Rate field. BMO Harris invited ...