||off the cuffs
by TRACY BAIM
This article shared 1383 times since Wed Mar 17, 2004
LA ... land of the massive billboards but gorgeous weather. Jean and I hated to return to Chicago, not just because of the weather, but because of the endless elections. But as you read this, the final winners in the Illinois primary elections will have been decided. See Windy City Times and www.windycitymediagroup.com for details. We also were three feet from Barbra Streisand, Liza Minnelli and others as they paraded into the HRC LA Awards. Pics soon in WCT.
LA was great. We held a script reading for Half Life, the material Catherine Crouch adapted from a novel I wrote and decided instead would be better visually. Catherine did a great job of getting it, as did the actors, ready for the crowd of nearly 100. Great response, great input, and we know it's still just a dream! My main goal is to have something that has more permanence than the weekly gay newspapers I have been doing for 20 years—and something that doesn't rub off on your hands!
The marriage mania continues in Chicago and around the country. The stop-start, yes-no chaos is emotionally draining for those who do believe in marriage. Our local pols don't want to risk arrest by issuing the licenses to gays (Illinois law would also make it illegal for those getting the license). One temporary solution: Cook County Clerk David Orr could stop issuing ANY marriage licenses, in protest of the discrimination of against gays (including his Deputy Clerk, Brandon Neese). The rally last week, with gays rallying and demanding licenses, and gay pols asking for a compromise (to focus energy against the proposed U.S. amendment) was heated, but didn't turn into a mob. Some pro-gay Dems are really in a bind, deciding which side of history they will be on.
This article shared 1383 times since Wed Mar 17, 2004
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Montreal Pride Parade is canceled 2022-08-08|
- Citing security concerns, the organizers of the Fierte Montreal Pride Parade abruptly canceled the Aug. 7 event at the last minute, The Washington Blade reported. The other events scheduled at the Esplanade of the Olympic ParkT-Dance ...
|Drag show finally takes place at UpRising Bakery and Cafe 2022-08-08|
- After a series of events that encompassed everything from vandalism to meetings with village officials to a visit from Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker, LGBTQ+-owned Lake in the Hills business UpRising Bakery and Cafe finally held its ...
|UpRising Bakery allowed to hold drag brunch, other events 2022-08-04|
- UpRising Bakerya Lake in the Hills business extensively vandalized after scheduling a brunch event featuring drag performerswill be able to host the rescheduled event and other programs after reaching an agreement with Lake in the Hills ...
|UpRising Bakery cancels more events; Indiana passes severe abortion ban 2022-07-31|
- There have more setbacks for the LGBTQ+-owned UpRising Bakery and Cafe, where damage still remains after the Lake in the Hills establishment was vandalized last weekend with hate messages, ABC 7 Chicago reported. Owner Corinna Sac ...
|Chicago announces lineups for Marquee Fall Music Festivals 2022-07-30|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO—Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot and the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE) announced today music lineups and expanded date information for three of the City of Chicago's most ...
|Northalsted Market Days to take place Aug. 6-7 2022-07-30|
- The 40th Northalsted Market Daysa live music street festival celebrating community in Chicago's Northalsted/Lakeview districtwill take place Aug. 6-7. The half-mile long summer festival features all-day lineups of live music ...
|WINE RIVAL returns Sept. 22, partially benefiting Highland Park group 2022-07-29|
- Chicago—After a two-year hiatus, The 4th Annual WINE RIVAL (formerly Somm Madness) returns on Thursday, Sept. 22, to award the 2022 title of WINE RIVAL Champion at Venue West, 221 N. Paulina St.. Tickets are $50 ...
|Chicago Gourmet reveals 2022 lineup 2022-07-28|
- Chicago Gourmet, one of the nation's most distinguished food festivals, has revealed a lineup of acclaimed chef participants for the 2022 weekend culinary celebration. Founding sponsor Illinois Restaurant Association, together ...
|MCA Chicago announces Chicago Performs, which focuses on contemporary, POC and queer artists 2022-07-27|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO— The Museum of Contemporary Art (MCA) Chicago, with the support of Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot, the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE), and Choose Chicago, announced the ...
|Story Jam and Cerqua Rivera collaboration on July 27 at Artifact Events 2022-07-25|
- Story Jam's next storytelling show—in a series of monthly shows at Artifact Events —will take place Wed., July 27, at 7:30 p.m. at 4325 N. Ravenswood Ave. "Living Truth: True Stories" is a storytelling collaboration with ...
|Touche holds fundraiser for Windy City Times 2022-07-12|
- Leather bar Touche, 6412 N. Clark St., held its regular Friday fundraiser on July 8—and the fortunate recipient this time was Windy City Times. Approximately $200 were raised during this benefit raffle. Touche has been a ...
|Fan Expo Chicago 2022 celebrates 50 years of comic conventions 2022-07-11|
- Throwing a successful comic-book conference comes with great responsibility. Just ask any Spider-Man you might run into at the Fan Expos located around the country. The newly titled Fan Expo Chicago swung into Donald E. Stephens ...
|Wicker Park Fest announces complete music lineup, will take place July 22-24 2022-07-09|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO—Wicker Park Bucktown Chamber of Commerce is thrilled to announce the complete lineup, schedule, additional programming, and festival perks for Wicker Park Fest, one of Chicago's most anticipated summer events. Returning on July 22-24 fo ...
|FAN EXPO Chicago taking place July 7-10 2022-07-07|
- FAN EXPO Chicago (formerly known as Chicago Comic Con/Wizard World) will take place at the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center on July 7-10. The event is noting its 50th anniversary as the original and oldest comic ...
|Back Lot Bash attendees party during Pride weekend in Chicago 2022-06-27|
- The inclusive music fest known as the Back Lot Bash took place June 25-26 at 5238 N. Clark St., in Andersonville. Back Lot Bash started in 2004 in response to the lack of women's events and the limited presence of ...