||off the cuffs
This article shared 1498 times since Wed Feb 18, 2004
There used to be a time when I looked forward to January and February—only because there were fewer community events to cover. Now, February BOOMS with events, and the past two weeks had enough same-sex marriage, religion, dancing and fireballing to last a full year. And we're not even NEAR June. It's hard to pack it all into our two weekly publications (yes, we do Windy City Times, too)—so you can always get more online at the comprehensive site www.WindyCityMediaGroup.com . You can also subscribe to our weekly e-mail blast sent to 10,000+ folks who want to be 'in the know.' Send an e-mail request to email@example.com and in the memo line put 'SIGN ME UP FOR E-MAIL LIST.' We give out tons of prizes every month, from CDs to DVDs, to concert tickets and much more. We also give out a lot of fun prizes on our weekly Windy City Radio show, Sundays 11-midnight on WCKG 105.9 FM (we share the 50,000-watt station with Howard Stern and Steve Dahl).
V-Day presentation of the Vagina Monologues features an all-star cast of Chicago women, with proceeds to benefit AIDS Foundation of Chicago and Southwest Women Working Together, Wed., Feb. 18, 7 p.m., $65-$250, Park West, 322 W. Armitage, (312) 922-2322.
Yes, the world did not stop after last weekend's parties. Chix Mix's BLACK BRA returns to Circuit Friday, Feb. 20. Don't miss it!
Plan ahead to Feb. 28: Mountain Moving Coffeehouse for Womyn and Children—C.C. Carter and friends celebrate Black History Month; 7:30 p.m., Summerdale Community Church, 1700 W. Farragut.
This article shared 1498 times since Wed Feb 18, 2004
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Mayor Lightfoot, DCASE, dance community designate 2022 the "Year of Chicago Dance" 2022-01-21|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO—In deep partnership with the local dance community, Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot and Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE) Commissioner Erin Harkey have designated 2022 as the "Year ...
|Center on Halsted states COVID requirements and is offering free testing [UPDATE] 2022-01-11|
- Center on Halsted, in compliance with the City of Chicago public health order effective Jan. 3, requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination for anyone (ages 5 and older) gathering in its ground-floor lobby area. Other events and ...
|Out actress Kelly McGillis to join flag-football teams in Key West tourney 2021-12-16|
- Teams of women and girls from around the world are to meet for sporting events and activities Jan. 24-31, 2022, during the 30th annual Kelly McGillis Classic International Women's & Girls' Flag Football Championship, according to ...
|World AIDS Day events on tap 2021-11-26|
- World AIDS Day takes place every year on Dec. 1. During this yearwhich marks the 40th anniversary since HIV was officially discoveredhere are some of the events taking place (locally, regionally and nationally) on, before and ...
|EVENTS John Grumpy Co. presenting 'Black Sunday' Nov. 28 2021-11-24|
- John Grumpy Co. is hosting "Black Sunday," which will take place at HVAC Pub, 3530 N. Clark St., on Sunday, Nov. 28, 9 p.m.-2 a.m.. This event will feature celebrity DJ Jamal Smallz. "Black Sunday" will ...
|Local chefs to take part in James Beard series dinner [EVENT POSTPONED]
- [This event has been postponed. A new date will soon be announced.] Chef Cedric Harden, of the River North restaurant River Roast, will participate in the James Beard Foundation's 2021-2022 Taste America culinary series ...
|Andersonville Chamber of Commerce plans holiday shopping events supporting 100+ businesses 2021-11-22|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (November 22, 2021) - The Andersonville Chamber of Commerce (ACC) is pleased to kick-off the holiday season with a festive line-up of neighborhood events encouraging residents and visitors to "shop local" in support of the ...
|Chicago groups to mark Transgender Day of Remembrance 2021-11-11|
- To mark the annual Transgender Day of Remembrance (TDOR)—on Saturday, Nov. 20—some Chicago groups will hold events: —Brave Space Alliance (BSA)—the first Black-led, trans-led LGBTQ+ Center located on the South ...
|National AIDS Memorial to hold World AIDS Day national events Nov. 30 and Dec. 1 2021-11-10|
--From a press release - SAN FRANCISCO (Nov. 9, 2021) — On December 1, the National AIDS Memorial brings three powerful programs to the public for World AIDS Day that offer inspiration, hope, remembrance, and reflection. The programming, free to the ...
|Mayor Lightfoot, DCASE reveal more fall, holiday event details 2021-10-22|
--From a press release - CHICAGOMayor Lori E. Lightfoot and the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE) today announced more details for DCASE fall and holiday traditions as Chicago's vital arts and culture scene continues to safely and fully ...
|Five Worth Finding: Harold Washington, volcanic water and more 2021-10-07|
- Mayor Harold Washington's LGBTQ+ legacy: The LGBTQ legacy of late Chicago Mayor Harold Washington (1922-1987) will be discussed as part of a series of events marking his 100th birthday in 2022. This free LGBTQ event will ...
|Filmmakers Bennett Singer, Patrick Sammon talk new documentary Cured 2021-10-07|
- Producer-directors Bennett Singer and Patrick Sammon have created a new LGBTQ documentary: Cured. The film tells the story of the LGBTQ activists, allies and events surrounding the American Psychiatric Association's ...
|Chicago Reader celebrates 50th anniversary 2021-09-28|
--From a press release - The Chicago Reader, a fearless, innovative, and nationally respected media voice in Chicago since 1971, is celebrating its 50th anniversary with a variety of exhibitions, events, and projects. The Chicago Reader's first issue was October 1, ...
|Defend Abortion Access marches/rallies planned across Illinois Oct. 2 2021-09-27|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — A coalition of more than 20 progressive organizations, supporters, and providers of reproductive health care are holding "Defend Abortion Access" events across Illinois on Saturday, October 2, in response to the Texas abortion ban ...
|Chicago's holiday cultural and arts events to reopen for in-person 2021-09-23|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot and the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE) today announced DCASE fall and holiday programming as Chicago's vital arts scene continues to safely and fully reopen. In-person holiday ...