||hey, i'm that guy from the magazine
by Kirk Williamson, Nightspots Editor
This article shared 3431 times since Wed Jan 24, 2007
About three years ago when I took over as editor of Nightspots, I wrote a bit in my column about an experience I had at Clark's On Clark. It was the story of a quiet Sunday night, before the 2 a.m. rush, and I was seated on a barstool talking to a friend. To our right was seated a behemoth of a man. He had begun to swagger and sway and I feared that something big was about to go down. Quite literally. He silently sipped one last sip from his beer glass and plopped full force onto the tile floor. I had likened the event to the scene in Jurassic Park when the growing ripples in the water glass warned of the encroaching mammoth dinosaur.
And I will always think of this story when I think of Clark's On Clark. And after this weekend, ALL I can do is to think of Clark's On Clark. After 19 years anchored at the corner of Argyle and Clark, our beloved Clark's is closing down.
This and many memories came surging back to me this week as I went through, one by one, the 320 pictures on page 18. This loopy library represents a full three years of mayhem at Clark's. If you look closely, you'll see the time I had a fake-fur clad lunatic tossed out in the street for threatening to cut me. You may also notice action shots of the dancinest bartender team in town. And if you really zoom in, you'll not be able to ignore one of Nightspots' crowning glories: the aborted cover of a cherry in Stevie V.'s ass crack.
When I think of the conversations, the exchanges, the faces, the flirtations, the frustrations, the elations and, of course, the libations I've seen at Clark's, I feel like I'm losing a part of my history. There's just something about that shitty little hole-in-the-wall dump. And I wouldn't have it any other way.
So I'd better see you Sunday night as they give it one last fling. I'll be there with every last ounce of drinking strength I have. And I'll be REALLLLLY late to work Monday morning.
For a spicy stew of sartorial splendor, you can't beat the Paper Dolls Thursday night drag show at Mary's Attic. Guest host Teri Yaki set the tone. I love drag queens that don't give a fuck. I mean, come on, seriously, you're wearing a fucking wig and a dress. Loosen up! But I digress.
She had a game wherein she took out her fake tits and threw them out, wedding bouquet style, to the crowd. Whoever caught the flying funbag got to redeem it at the bar for a free shot. Sounded like an apt challenge for me. The tit went flying and was caught simultaneously by me and two twinks. As they struggled to rip the fauxboob out of my hand, I simply maintained a firm grip and gave them a look that communicated, 'I'm bigger than you, I'm stronger than you, I'm blacker than you. This shit is mine.' Well it worked and fun shots were had by all. Let this be a lesson: There's no tit I won't grab for free liquor. Oh Jesus, now I have a new legacy!
This article shared 3431 times since Wed Jan 24, 2007
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|SHOWBIZ RuPaul, LGBTQ athletes, film winners, Charles Busch 2020-11-02|
- RuPaul has a lot of irons in the fire, according to out.com. Not only is she on the cover of Cosmopolitan UK's January 2021 issue, but the drag icon has also posted her new five-track Hey Sis, It's Christmas EP. Also, ...
|Kirk Williamson: Telling stories 2020-09-30|
- Many of you might know me only through my byline on the masthead or, if you're a bit older (and drunker), by my time in the bars as editor of Nightspots. Hey, I WAS that guy from the magazine. But if you have never ...
|Karlin's memoir reflects on heyday of Chicago LGBT media 2020-04-29|
- Fort Lauderdale-based author Rick Karlin, a native Chicagoan who for many years wrote about food and entertainment, among other topics, for LGBT papers in the Windy City, said that the machinations of the local gay media ...
|ART Paul Heyer in solo show presented by MCA 2018-06-20|
- The Museum of Contemporary Art (MCA) Chicago features artist Paul Heyer's first-ever solo show, "Chicago Works: Paul Heyer," through July 1. Heyer is a native of Chicago's south suburbs. Growing up in an arts appreciative household, ...
|Billy Masters 2017-11-21|
- "I can't wait to shove this up Adam's ass!"Blake Shelton's comment after being named "People" magazine's Sexiest Man Alive. I don't really understand all these "straight guys" who are obsessed with ass play. But, hey, as ...
|THEATER REVIEW Sylvester, or The Wicked Uncle 2017-09-25|
- Playwright: adapted by Christina Calvit from the novel by Georgette Heyer At: Lifeline Theatre, 6912 N. Glenwood Ave. Tickets: $40. Runs through: Oct. 29 Regency Romances, preferably adapted for the stage by Christina Calvit, never fail ...
|The Fair Maid of the West 2017-08-09|
- Playwright: Thomas Heywood, adapted by Kevin Theis. At: Oak Park Festival Theatre in Austin Gardens, 167 Forest Ave., Oak Park. Tickets: $30. Runs through: Sept. 2 Thomas Heywood's sword-and-cloak extravaganza was a blockbuster in 1631, but ...
|President Obama's remarks in presenting the Medal of Freedom to VP Joe Biden 2017-01-12|
From the White House Office of the Press Secretary - State Dining Room 3:50 P.M. EST THE PRESIDENT: Hey! All right, that's enough. Don't want to embarrass the guy. (Laughter.) Welcome to the White House, everybody. As I have already delivered my farewell address, I will ...
|President Obama presents the Medal of Freedom to Ellen DeGeneres and others 2016-11-23|
From the White House Office of the Press Secretary - THE WHITE HOUSE, Office of the Press Secretary REMARKS BY THE PRESIDENT AT PRESENTATION OF THE 2016 PRESIDENTIAL MEDAL OF FREEDOM East Room, 3:13 P.M. EST THE PRESIDENT: Hello, hello, hello! Hey! Thank you. (Applause.) Thank ...
|BOOK REVIEW The Joy of Swimming 2016-09-07|
- By Lisa Congdon $18.95; Chronicle Books; 141 pages People say you're all wet. Maybe that's not the nicest thing you've ever heard but hey! If something's true, it's true, right? Yep, you love being in a ...
|Mirza protests Trump, lesbian actress makes statement 2016-01-13|
- Lesbian actress Fawzia Mirza recently made a statement in front of the Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago. In response to Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump's comments about Muslims, Mirza posted, " Hey @realdonaldtrump WE ARE ...
|THEATER REVIEW Million Dollar Quartet 2015-12-30|
- Book: Colin Escott and Floyd Mutrux; Score: Various. At: Apollo Theatre, 2540 N. Lincoln Ave. Tickets: 773-935-6100 or www.milliondollarquartetlive.com; $25-$95. Runs through Jan. 17 Hey procrastinators! Million Dollar Quartet, officially ...
Stanley in the
Name of Love 2015-08-12|
- Book: Mr. Margaret Svetlove; Score: The Delicious Moons. At: The New Colony at Den Theatre, 1333 N. Milwaukee Ave. Tickets: www.thenewcolony.org; $20-$25. Runs through: Aug. 29 Hey, you young queer club kids who worship at the ...
|Stanley Cup makes the rounds in Boystown over Pride weekend; CGHA celebrates 2015-07-01|
- They won a championship and cruised around town with The Cup. Hey, it was a pretty good Pride weekend for the Chicago Gay Hockey Association (CGHA). The second-ever Chicago Pride Classic was held at McFetridge Sports ...
|Bijou Chronicles RETROSTUDS OF THE PAST:
FOCUS ON LEE RYDER
- We at Bijou carry back issues of Manshots magazines, which was, I think, in its heyday (the late '80s and early '90s), offered a sophisticated approach to gay porn; its video reviews were generally cogent and ...