||hey, i'm still that guy!
by Kirk Williamson, Nightspots Editor
This article shared 3261 times since Wed Feb 14, 2007
I did not see the infamous 'kissing mechanics' ad for Snickers when it first aired during the Super Bowl. I don't fit many gay clichés, but the whole thing about not enjoying sports fits me to a tee. Naturally, I took a brief break from cleaning the bathroom just long enough to see Prince perform, but then I was back on my hands and kness scouring the tub.
It wasn't until the next morning that I had even heard of the commercial. As it was described to me, it sounded fairly frivilous. The image of two 'guy's guys' accidentally locking lips, only to react by tearing hair out of their chest to rapidly bolster their 'manliness' sounded like the typical Super Bowl fare and, dare I say, kind of clever. It came off as a joke on the insecurities of straight males in our society as they relate to matters of sexuality. And if they can sell a few candy bars along the way, then all the better.
As a gay man, I concede that it sure would be nice to see images of my people in mainstream media. Will & Grace was all well & good, but it never acurately delved into the gayness of the characters ( 8 years and not one serious man-on-man make out session... come on! ) . Given the media's reluctance to give us these much-needed images, I expected a backlash to this commercial; even the hint of an expression of love between two men would surely cause the American Family Institute and their ilk to launch a campaign for the fragile souls of our nation's youth, or some such malarkey.
The backlash came... but it was not from the backlashers I anticipated.
In comes GLAAD, the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation. 'That Snickers, Mars and the NFL would promote and endorse this kind of prejudice is simply inexcusable,' proclaimed GLAAD President Neil G. Giuliano. Thank gay God that we have such valiant warriors on our side who will fight the battle of not being able to take a fucking joke. Somewhere in the world, a gay kid is getting beat up in high school and summarily ignored by administration. Yet, GLAAD chooses to waste its resources ( and its reputation ) by lambasting a candy company for something so innocuous, most free-thinking Gays ( and straights and everybodies ) wouldn't even think it offensive if we did not have these wags creating prejudice and hatred out of good-natured humor.
I have never had a beef with GLAAD in the past; for the most part they are a vital community organization that champions worthwhile causes and promotes tolerance and understanding in a world sometimes woefully lacking in both. But to get up on the soapbox and condemn the Snickers commercial only hurts our cause. It portrays the Gay community as humorless, fragile, weak and reactionary.
So I'll continue to eat the embattled candy bar. And I'll 'snicker' when I think that it, like the world, is chock full of nuts.
Check out page 24 for the rest of the story...
This article shared 3261 times since Wed Feb 14, 2007
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|SHOWBIZ RuPaul, LGBTQ athletes, film winners, Charles Busch 2020-11-02|
- RuPaul has a lot of irons in the fire, according to out.com. Not only is she on the cover of Cosmopolitan UK's January 2021 issue, but the drag icon has also posted her new five-track Hey Sis, It's Christmas EP. Also, ...
|Kirk Williamson: Telling stories 2020-09-30|
- Many of you might know me only through my byline on the masthead or, if you're a bit older (and drunker), by my time in the bars as editor of Nightspots. Hey, I WAS that guy from the magazine. But if you have never ...
|Karlin's memoir reflects on heyday of Chicago LGBT media 2020-04-29|
- Fort Lauderdale-based author Rick Karlin, a native Chicagoan who for many years wrote about food and entertainment, among other topics, for LGBT papers in the Windy City, said that the machinations of the local gay media ...
|ART Paul Heyer in solo show presented by MCA 2018-06-20|
- The Museum of Contemporary Art (MCA) Chicago features artist Paul Heyer's first-ever solo show, "Chicago Works: Paul Heyer," through July 1. Heyer is a native of Chicago's south suburbs. Growing up in an arts appreciative household, ...
|Billy Masters 2017-11-21|
- "I can't wait to shove this up Adam's ass!"Blake Shelton's comment after being named "People" magazine's Sexiest Man Alive. I don't really understand all these "straight guys" who are obsessed with ass play. But, hey, as ...
|THEATER REVIEW Sylvester, or The Wicked Uncle 2017-09-25|
- Playwright: adapted by Christina Calvit from the novel by Georgette Heyer At: Lifeline Theatre, 6912 N. Glenwood Ave. Tickets: $40. Runs through: Oct. 29 Regency Romances, preferably adapted for the stage by Christina Calvit, never fail ...
|The Fair Maid of the West 2017-08-09|
- Playwright: Thomas Heywood, adapted by Kevin Theis. At: Oak Park Festival Theatre in Austin Gardens, 167 Forest Ave., Oak Park. Tickets: $30. Runs through: Sept. 2 Thomas Heywood's sword-and-cloak extravaganza was a blockbuster in 1631, but ...
|President Obama's remarks in presenting the Medal of Freedom to VP Joe Biden 2017-01-12|
From the White House Office of the Press Secretary - State Dining Room 3:50 P.M. EST THE PRESIDENT: Hey! All right, that's enough. Don't want to embarrass the guy. (Laughter.) Welcome to the White House, everybody. As I have already delivered my farewell address, I will ...
|President Obama presents the Medal of Freedom to Ellen DeGeneres and others 2016-11-23|
From the White House Office of the Press Secretary - THE WHITE HOUSE, Office of the Press Secretary REMARKS BY THE PRESIDENT AT PRESENTATION OF THE 2016 PRESIDENTIAL MEDAL OF FREEDOM East Room, 3:13 P.M. EST THE PRESIDENT: Hello, hello, hello! Hey! Thank you. (Applause.) Thank ...
|BOOK REVIEW The Joy of Swimming 2016-09-07|
- By Lisa Congdon $18.95; Chronicle Books; 141 pages People say you're all wet. Maybe that's not the nicest thing you've ever heard but hey! If something's true, it's true, right? Yep, you love being in a ...
|Mirza protests Trump, lesbian actress makes statement 2016-01-13|
- Lesbian actress Fawzia Mirza recently made a statement in front of the Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago. In response to Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump's comments about Muslims, Mirza posted, " Hey @realdonaldtrump WE ARE ...
|THEATER REVIEW Million Dollar Quartet 2015-12-30|
- Book: Colin Escott and Floyd Mutrux; Score: Various. At: Apollo Theatre, 2540 N. Lincoln Ave. Tickets: 773-935-6100 or www.milliondollarquartetlive.com; $25-$95. Runs through Jan. 17 Hey procrastinators! Million Dollar Quartet, officially ...
Stanley in the
Name of Love 2015-08-12|
- Book: Mr. Margaret Svetlove; Score: The Delicious Moons. At: The New Colony at Den Theatre, 1333 N. Milwaukee Ave. Tickets: www.thenewcolony.org; $20-$25. Runs through: Aug. 29 Hey, you young queer club kids who worship at the ...
|Stanley Cup makes the rounds in Boystown over Pride weekend; CGHA celebrates 2015-07-01|
- They won a championship and cruised around town with The Cup. Hey, it was a pretty good Pride weekend for the Chicago Gay Hockey Association (CGHA). The second-ever Chicago Pride Classic was held at McFetridge Sports ...
|Bijou Chronicles RETROSTUDS OF THE PAST:
FOCUS ON LEE RYDER
- We at Bijou carry back issues of Manshots magazines, which was, I think, in its heyday (the late '80s and early '90s), offered a sophisticated approach to gay porn; its video reviews were generally cogent and ...